Easy "how to " on protecting the hydraulic clutch in your car

iceman22

Established Member
I was searching around to see what brake fluid guys are running to best serve the clutch as well as brakes because it seems like I have lost a little clutch pedal lately and shifts are not as smooth as they used to be . I found myself on a Camaro forum ,and to my surprise found a very good write up on the brake fluid affecting your clutch and how it performs and how long it will last , long story short, you need to keep your brake fluid clean and check it often , more often if u track the car and are hard on the brakes . It went on to say that a very easy way to do this without the headache of flushing all the dirty fluid and then bleeding the brakes.
STEP 1 open your brake fluid reservoir and suck out as much dirty fluid as u can with a transfer pump (6 $ harbor freight) ,be careful not to get any on your paint .
STEP 2 Fill the reservoir with clean fluid and install the cap .

STEP 3 pump the clutch pedal 30 times top to bottom slowly ,then repeat steps 1 & 2 until you have clean fluid , this may take 2 of the big bottles of fluid the first time ,but once you get it clean it should be easy to keep it clean if you stay on top of it .
I just did this last night on my 2011 , 50k miles on stock clutch and wow ! Feels like the day I bought it , all my pedal returned and falls into gear very nice . I read so many shifting problems and grinding gears from these cars and thought I would share this and hope you guys could benefit from this like I did . Also recommend dot 4 synthetic fluid and checking your fluid every time you change your oil or more often for more aggressive driving .

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
First of all, ALL brake fluid is synthetic. Second, I think your improvement in clutch action is from your pedal pumping which gets any air out (sort of like bleeding). Third, I don't see how the "cleaning" technique will purge anything but the top of the line. I'm sure it won't replace the fluid in the hydraulic throwout bearing.

Steve

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I know this as a big thing on the C6Z06 cars to swap out the fluid the way described. I've never seen it have any traction in the Mustang world to do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread