Easiest way to 500 hp?

97 horse snake

Established Member
no, i take that back. what's the cheapest way for you 03 guys to get to 500 hp? and will that put you in the 11's? i've been searching the boards, just trying to learn new stuff and i know very little about the 03 or superchargers really. i've been reading your sigs and am still not clear on what 4 lb lower or 2.8 upper means. i know it increases boost, just don't know what the numbers mean. sorry for the stupidity. just trying to learn about one of my dream cars.

zac

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
If you're talking about 500 HP at the crank, it's pretty easy to achieve that with minimal mods, such as freer flowing exhaust, improved air intake, more boost and a custom chip.

500 HP to the rear wheels is another story. For that you'll need some extra stuff, like long-tubes, some more work on the intake side and probably more boost or a more efficient supercharger.

Somebody can add to this.......

mosconiac

Established Member
For 500 fwhp on the cheap:

Pro-M Plastic MAF Adapter ($10)
K&N Filter ($50)
2.8" Blower Pulley ($100 with borrowed puller)
Gatorback Belt ($40)
Chip ($350)
Tuning ($150)

Total: $700

haskett

Established Member
mosconiac- That will net 500 fwhp ? That almost sounds too good to be true! Who has done this ?

mosconiac

Established Member
425 rwhp (500 fwhp) is easily attainable with the listed mods.

I have not memorized who has proven this in the past, but I'm sure they will chime in as time goes by.

Mosconiac

haskett

Established Member
425 rwhp sounds reasonable. I guess I question whether or not 75 hp is lost in the drivetrain, based on other discussions in this forum.

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
Even at a 10% loss, that's 472. Add a cat back and you'll be at 500, no problem.

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
I've got 430 RWHP / 460 RWTQ for $1,000.

One of the magazines had an 87% drivetrain efficiency quoted from Ford or SVT which, would make the 430 RWHP = 494 (460 --> 530 lb-ft) at the flywheel.

UPR CAI-----------$211 (to the door-installed at home)
Pulley & Belt------$130 (installed)
DiabloChip--------$320 (installed)
Labor--------------$150 (2 hrs billed)
Dyno Time--------$200 (around 4hrs on 4 different nights)

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
The shop quoted a fixed price on the dyno time and gave me baseline run for free. The chip came in with too much timing advance, and made serious detonation on the first try. We installed the pulley and dynoed that without the chip (bad idea too), then finally got it all right about 4 weeks after we started.

SVTyballz

Established Member
the quest for 500 RWHP is a little harder........ the faster you spin the blower, the more HP it eats up. I am close. (Dyno next week prolly) Not done yet. The consensus seems to be that 480 is easy, but that last 20 can be hard to find. I could always lean things out and get there now, but what good is 500 rwhp when it is gone by the summertime??? And im trying to get there without a lower pulley setup. Don't even know if it is possible without the lower. Alot of unknowns left in this engine. Will keep you posted.

gary

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
It looks like 550 at the rear wheels is real easy with the twin screw blower upgrade. It's not cheap, but it might be cheaper than chasing 500 with the Eaton.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
For a 500RWHP/500+RWTQ combo look up FiveohDean's sig. He runs 12.2 @ 3000ft elev. Unless he updated it the only thing missing from his sig is the accufab TB and inlet.

SVTyballz

Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
For a 500RWHP/500+RWTQ combo look up FiveohDean's sig. He runs 12.2 @ 3000ft elev. Unless he updated it the only thing missing from his sig is the accufab TB and inlet.

His sig says 474.

gary

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTyballz
His sig says 474.

gary

Thats prior to the Accufab TB and inlet. He should be going for a new dyno soon. He told me at the track when, but my memory is failing me.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
After all that typing:

Nitrous will get ya to 500 in one day. You really should get a chip to run it, but you could probably run a wet kit w/o a chip. Nitrous 500 Hp is alot easier on the engine than the "bolt-on" 500 Hp car will be.

My take on modding a 03, N20 vs bolt-ons.

N20:

Cheaper up front.
Good - No extra strain til ya spray it. Cooler intake temps, not hotter. Easily upgraded. Bolt-on HP still an option.
Bad - Gone when it's gone. $$ to refill.

Bolt on city:

Good - Power is there all the time. N2O HP is still an option.
Bad - Power is there all the time. Massive amounts of wasted power from overspinning the blower. Excessive heat generated by overspinning blower.
Maybe cheaper in the long run.

lxtacy

Theres always NOS. My last visit to E-town raceway, there was an older gentleman with a new lightning. As he pulled up to the line, I was amazed to see him fog the system. Even more amazing was him posting a 10.90! Back at the pits he had a NOS system, exhaust, and slicks. He was not around to comment.
Mixing NOS & a supercharger may be a recipe for destruction, however done right should be okay. A 25 shot on a N/A motor may be worth 40-50 on a supercharged motor.

97 horse snake

Established Member
wow, all these replys for me? i guess i wasn't specific enough. no nitrous and i didn't specify fly wheel vs. rear wheel, cause i didn't know what kind of responses i would get or what these cars are capable of with just bolt ons. has anyone hit 11's with the stock radials? how are they for highway racing? do you like the roots type s/c or would you have prefered a centrifugal type? thanks again for all your replys.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by haskett
mosconiac- That will net 500 fwhp ? That almost sounds too good to be true! Who has done this ?

Actually, I did a bit better:

JLP CAI: $180
2.93 Pulley: $80
Gatorback Belt: $28
Muffler's cut out: $40

Total: $328

Approximate FWHP/TQ: 522/516

RW #'s in my sig.

Users who are viewing this thread