Ears Open Eyeballs Click.

jliddle

Established Member
I came across this "documentary/film" earlier and thought I would share.
Ears, Open. Eyeballs, Click.

Apparently this guy was along side the recruits filming their 12 weeks in boot.

Downloaded a torrent and watched about 30 mins so far..

Others thoughts on it? Seen it?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Saw it on the Documentary channel once. Very badass, really made me respect the stuff that you need to go through and the changes a person makes to their entire psyche during.

jliddle

Established Member
I got to the Pugil Sticks and paused it. I was getting pumped up, looking around the room for a stick to beat the hell out of somethin

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Heard about it, never watched it...My understanding was always "Ears:Open, Eyeballs:Clear" as was several other Marines i've asked about it over the years...but who knows....

boduke0220

Established Member
I saw it,my recruiter said thats pretty dang accurate. I dont think boot camp changes you, my 2 friends are still the same, they just know how to obey orders without question, shoot a target at 500m and most importantly, how to never give up (both Marines)

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I saw it,my recruiter said thats pretty dang accurate. I dont think boot camp changes you, my 2 friends are still the same, they just know how to obey orders without question, shoot a target at 500m and most importantly, how to never give up (both Marines)

I agree it's accurate, but not 100% though. No, you definitely change. That "Yelling, going fast, obeying without quetion" is still in all Marines, whether they are 20 or 50 years old. Just something needs to trigger it.

I asked my friends grandpa (Did 20 years in the USMC) and he said after the core he always yelled at people with a 'knifehand' in their face. Boot camp is definitely an eye opener and makes realize how stupid and immature you were before bootcamp.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

Ummm... What you listed is change in a person. Following orders is not just doing what you are told. But putting your faith in the person above you that they have the best interests involved in the decision making process. Also losing self preservation knowing the orders could lead you to your death... I'd say that is change in a person:read:

jliddle

Established Member

Both your friends may not want to admit to you how it has changed them. No one will come out of 3 months of boot camp unchanged.

I am not a Marine, (however I would love to join) but even I can see that the purpose goes deeper than just obeying orders.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
I agree it's accurate, but not 100% though. No, you definitely change. That "Yelling, going fast, obeying without quetion" is still in all Marines, whether they are 20 or 50 years old. Just something needs to trigger it.

I asked my friends grandpa (Did 20 years in the USMC) and he said after the core he always yelled at people with a 'knifehand' in their face. Boot camp is definitely an eye opener and makes realize how stupid and immature you were before bootcamp.

You do change, and it is forever. I still knife hand mother ****ers in traffic. Also, everywhere I go Marines can always tell other Marines. The facility I'm at now I was there for maybe less than a week before a very senior retired sgt major stopped me in the hall to talk to me. Then he introduced me to another retired sgtmgr who was a sgt under him! Marines take care of Marines.

boduke0220

Established Member

Yea i guess they did change, but everyone makes the change out to be like they never smile, always mad, and a hardass, which is the total opposite of what they are for the most part, thats what i was trying to say lol. Like m recruiter, he's a laid back guy whom i play PS3 with all the time. I cant wait to go and see how it changes me.

Last edited:

boduke0220

Established Member
You do change, and it is forever. I still knife hand mother ****ers in traffic. Also, everywhere I go Marines can always tell other Marines. The facility I'm at now I was there for maybe less than a week before a very senior retired sgt major stopped me in the hall to talk to me. Then he introduced me to another retired sgtmgr who was a sgt under him! Marines take care of Marines.

+1 thats why i i chose Marines.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You do change, and it is forever.

This.

My buddy went in a boy; he came out a man. Went in so immature and wet behind the ears. Now he is pretty damn smart (and I dont mean just knowledge, I mean situational smart), controlled and all around humble. Yes, he still has fun and whatnot, but you can still tell he's always one step ahead of the whats going on in the room, and thats coming from being 3 steps behind with the stoner face "wuts going on guise" look.

Actually his experience makes me super pissed at myself for not joining the Marines. Probably the biggest regret in my life, but I was stupid back then and wasted my time out of HS.

only a gt

Established Member
I've been out of the Corps for almost a year now, and the knife hands still appear without me even realizing it lol.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Its not to late for you to join is it Thomas?

I've been debating joining soon myself (20 yrs old).

Nah ill be 27 come July, plus with my income I wouldnt be able to make ends meet even If we lived on base.

Not to mention im not nearly anywhere close physically like I was when I was 18 to keep up.

boduke0220

Established Member
This.

My buddy went in a boy; he came out a man. Went in so immature and wet behind the ears. Now he is pretty damn smart (and I dont mean just knowledge, I mean situational smart), controlled and all around humble. Yes, he still has fun and whatnot, but you can still tell he's always one step ahead of the whats going on in the room, and thats coming from being 3 steps behind with the stoner face "wuts going on guise" look.

Its amazing to see that transformation for sure

03cobrah

Established Member
boot camp will change you one way or another. the documentary is pretty accurate, but when you're the it's more intense and i mean it lol. you'll watch the documentary again and say shit, we did worse...

anyways ever watch a Marine boot talk on the phone to a higher up? they usually stand parade rest without knowing it. LOL. that's how you know they got trained to the bone.

Users who are viewing this thread