early SAAC MkI on Ebay, $48,900 opening bid!

PxTx

I like cars and bikes
Established Member
Ford : Mustang | eBay

I'm a big fan od the SAAC cars for their historical significance for the 93 Cobra and Cobra R- as well as solidifying SVT.

The fact that the early ones tried to use the Shelby name and got shut down, I guess I'm indifferent about that. These cars were real race cars for the street and can stand on their own.

I got excited when I saw the blower, but seller says it was done after the fact- so that's a shame. Prototype car with a OE blower would have been cool!

What do you guys think about this one?

!B-78nUgCWk~$(KGrHqYOKpIEy+jCzob0BM-GMdO8f!~~_12.JPG

buddha93

Established Member
This is the one I've seen off and on again for sale that I mentioned in your other post. Too much money IMO, but a nice car nonetheless.

PxTx

I like cars and bikes
Established Member
I thought the one you were mentioning being for sale a bunch was either the #13,#15 or #40 car.

#13 is the one that was never registered with only 11 actual miles on the car.
689-09.jpg

#15 had the blower installed when the original owner sent it back to SAAC for the mod.
m5lp_1103_09_+1992_saac_ford_mustang+_engine.jpg

m5lp_1103_01_+1992_saac_ford_mustang+_left_rear_quarter.jpg

The #40 car seems to have a cobra rear valance.

IA0710-95823_2.jpg

So I would like to understand more why some here don't think these cars are worth this kind of money. If a Cobra R can bring this, why not these? I think they were equal in just about all ways with the added benefit is a significantly cooler wheel combo (in looks and weight).

I get it for some, a Yenko Camaro may just be an over-priced Camaro and a similar logic can be applied to these when you can "roll-your-own" version for less money. But there is more to it from my perspective.

Looking forward to all comments.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I thought the one you were mentioning being for sale a bunch was either the #13,#15 or #40 car.

#13 is the one that was never registered with only 11 actual miles on the car.
689-09.jpg

#15 had the blower installed when the original owner sent it back to SAAC for the mod.
m5lp_1103_09_+1992_saac_ford_mustang+_engine.jpg

m5lp_1103_01_+1992_saac_ford_mustang+_left_rear_quarter.jpg

The #40 car seems to have a cobra rear valance.

IA0710-95823_2.jpg

So I would like to understand more why some here don't think these cars are worth this kind of money. If a Cobra R can bring this, why not these? I think they were equal in just about all ways with the added benefit is a significantly cooler wheel combo (in looks and weight).

I get it for some, a Yenko Camaro may just be an over-priced Camaro and a similar logic can be applied to these when you can "roll-your-own" version for less money. But there is more to it from my perspective.

Looking forward to all comments.

I remember when these cars came out. They were extremely expensive back then. Just because it has SAAC on it doesn't merit Yenko comparison. If they were still being made like Saleen or Roush then more people would know about them and what they could do.

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
There were handful of R's trading/selling for ridiculous amounts of money for a bit, and IMO where never worth that kind of cash, and won't see those numbers again for many years to come. I think you had a small group of buyers who inflated the market amongst themselves. I'm talking wrapper cars, etc.

I'm not saying a SAAC wrapper car couldn't do the same, but with the mileage and mods on this particular car, I don't think it demands anywhere near the price. He's been trying to sell this car for at least a year to my knowledge.

PxTx

I like cars and bikes
Established Member
I remember when these cars came out. They were extremely expensive back then. Just because it has SAAC on it doesn't merit Yenko comparison. If they were still being made like Saleen or Roush then more people would no about them and what they could do.

I do believe they merit a Yenko comparison. in 1969 and 1970 Yenko was listed as a manufacturer (cars were sold under Yenko Sports Cars, not by Yenko Chevrolet) and the SAAC cars also were sold as manufacturers in 1991, 1992 and 1993.

Yenko had GM delivering them the cars with the 'manufacturer's specific' egnines already installed, then they were further modified. SAAC also had the cars delivered with the GT40 equipped 5.0 where they were further modified.

Not many knew about the Yenko cars when they were new, much like the SAAC cars. Yenko was not producing cars after 1970 as a manufacturer. They had just as short of a run as the SAAC cars the way I see it.

Yenko and SAAC stand apart from Saleen or other as they were all just tuners. The SAAC cars had a significant contribution as having to get the GT40 engine federalized, things that Saleen never chose to do. Part of the federalizing process was the incubator that enabled FMS to evolve into SVT- another historically significant contribution. That federalizing of the engine was the exact reason the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R were able to be.

Yes the SAAC cars were expensive, but the Yenko and ZL1 cars weren't cheap either. No offense to people here, but the Cobra may have stolen sales form SAAC, but they are vastly different. They also were a result of the influence of a special package, not the innovator of one.

I do believe these cars are under appreciated currently. I don't really give any value in the naming SAAC/Shelby but think the car stands on it's own merit for what it is. Additionally, I would like to understand why some may think the SAAC are not deserving of this special status.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I do believe they merit a Yenko comparison. in 1969 and 1970 Yenko was listed as a manufacturer (cars were sold under Yenko Sports Cars, not by Yenko Chevrolet) and the SAAC cars also were sold as manufacturers in 1991, 1992 and 1993.

Yenko had GM delivering them the cars with the 'manufacturer's specific' egnines already installed, then they were further modified. SAAC also had the cars delivered with the GT40 equipped 5.0 where they were further modified.

Not many knew about the Yenko cars when they were new, much like the SAAC cars. Yenko was not producing cars after 1970 as a manufacturer. They had just as short of a run as the SAAC cars the way I see it.

Yenko and SAAC stand apart from Saleen or other as they were all just tuners. The SAAC cars had a significant contribution as having to get the GT40 engine federalized, things that Saleen never chose to do. Part of the federalizing process was the incubator that enabled FMS to evolve into SVT- another historically significant contribution. That federalizing of the engine was the exact reason the 1993 Cobra and Cobra R were able to be.

Yes the SAAC cars were expensive, but the Yenko and ZL1 cars weren't cheap either. No offense to people here, but the Cobra may have stolen sales form SAAC, but they are vastly different. They also were a result of the influence of a special package, not the innovator of one.

I do believe these cars are under appreciated currently. I don't really give any value in the naming SAAC/Shelby but think the car stands on it's own merit for what it is. Additionally, I would like to understand why some may think the SAAC are not deserving of this special status.

The Yenko and Saleen cars were known for their performance. Yenko's down the 1/4, Saleen's on the roadcourse. The SAAC cars have no racing heritage, and are widely unknown. Plus for the price of one decent SAAC you can get 2-3 93 Cobras. Also you can get fox body Saleen's for less money with the exception being a clean SSC.

Last edited:

PxTx

I like cars and bikes
Established Member
I agree, in summary the cars are not well know.

The SAAC cars are significantly more capable than a Cobra. SAAC MkI at their lowest options, an equal to a Saleen SSC, but also the SA-10 as some of the SAAC cars were supercharged with 460 hp. If being fast was cheap, we would all be there.

I do understand the point you are making on these two issues. And maybe its that simple. I am just surprised that the over-all influence to the 1993 Cobra, Cobra R and the whole SVT program has such little recognition.

richstang

Established Member
The SAAC cars were built before the '93 Cobra. They started in '91 and the majority were built in '92. Ford decided to build their Cobra based on the sales of the specially market that the SAAC cars established (same SVO parts). As a small (tiny) company the SAAC company basically hand built each MKI. MKII, and later for '93 the SAAC Snake. This proved costly. When the '93 Cobra came to be (along with the new SVT name), it was built in the factory and of course had a considerably lower price. This basically closed the doors on the '93 SAAC cars and the next gen MKIV (never went beyond a concept drawing). With only 62 SAAC cars built over the three year run, they are much rarer than the '93Cobra R. Values on these SAAC cars are all over the place depending on the history of each car, options, and of course mileage and condition.

By the way can anyone recall what the car # was in the old eBay auction?

Rich
91-93 SAAC MKI, MKII, Snake Registrar.

Users who are viewing this thread