Eagle F1:G2's Versus Other Options

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
I'm just wondering opinions in on tires for the GT500, I'm putting some Nitto Invo's on my Camaro SS because the stock Pirelli's suck more than anything I've ever had on a car but I'm not certian on them for the GT500. Just looking for some honest opinions on what you all are going to use! :beer:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
This could be a good and useful thread....Ive heard people mention the Invo's, bridgestones, Michelin PS2's....ill wait for the pros and those with first hand knowledge

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I had Nitto Invo's on my 08 GT500 for about 800 miles before I sold the car.

They handled well, low road noise, and were plenty sticky.

Never used them in wet or temps below 50, however.

Redzone

Established Member
I bought into the hype & put a set of Invo's on my Z06 when they were first introduced. They are decent for straight line acceleration,but are absolutely horrible on turn-in. The fronts rolled over faster than a French soldier & the whole car felt like it was riding on marshmallows during any kind of direction change.

Had them for a week before changing over to the Michelin PS2. That was a couple years back & my next set will be the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports. According to Michelin they are even better than the PS2 as far as grip & wear.

All this is neither here nor there (as far as I'm concerned) for the '13 GT500. Mine will be running on a set of DR's exclusively as it will be a street brawler/drag strip dedicated car. I just wanted to give my experiences with the Invo to keep others from making my mistake. And it's nothing against Nitto per say. They do make a fine performance tire. It's called the NT-05 and it's about the same price as the Invo.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Thats good info Redzone, I actually am aiming to replace the goodyears once I wear them out with a good set of tires to use for grip, wet traction. I also plan to have a set of DR's for the track, so whenever I go make some passes, I will swap them out.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
@redzone,
That's what scares me about tire recommendations from the Mustang community. Too many owners are focused on straight line performance. Throw a turn at the tires they recommend and, like you said, it'll be like you're running gel pad wrist supports as tires. I like to hit turns hard. The last thing I want is to be skidding off sideways into a ditch or into a curb because my tires jumped off my wheels and onto the wheels of the car in the inside lane.

If you want a good performance tire, it would probably be best to ask on a Porsche or Ferrari forum; heck, maybe even a Miata or S2000 forum. Those guys tend to be more focused on turns than blasting down a straight line for a few seconds at a time.

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
On my 04 cobra, I used Nitto Extreme 555s up front, and their 555R drag radial in the rear. Using that combo, I've taken her on several hmmmm... looking for the best way to describe it.... well, a group of 15 or so cars would months ahead of time, plan out a "fall run" or whatever we'd call it, and it would be up in very low traveled, twisty, mountainy back roads of PA. Hills, bumps, steep inclines, a lot of stress on the car. In fact, we would only allow certain number of people, and all cars were inspected before going to make sure they were mechanically sound and that brakes, etc, could handle what we were about to do lol.

Anyway, long story short, I had no problems keeping at the front of the pack, even with modified AWD cars. It was a great combo for street driving.

orangesvtbb

Established Member
I don't have a lot of tire experience with anything but being compared to the stockers - Michelin Pilot Super Sports sure seem a lot better in colder temps. I don't know about hotter temps since it won't ever bust past 65 since I got them.

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
I don't have a lot of tire experience with anything but being compared to the stockers - Michelin Pilot Super Sports sure seem a lot better in colder temps. I don't know about hotter temps since it won't ever bust past 65 since I got them.

Yeah I was looking for Pilot Super Sports but I couldn't find the OEM sizes for the front....

SVTSlingshot

Ya, that's my Shelby
Established Member
I will swap out the rear Goodyears as soon as I get the car with Nitto 555r, That's what I used for my 02 Lightning which was putting down over 600RWHP. 555r are VERY sticky tires.

qachargh

Established Member
There don't seem to be a lot of sizes for the Sport Cups. It's a specialized tire and they might not start making generic sizes without having OE customers. The prices for the G:2 are pretty close to the Super Sports and Sport Cups. The thought I am having is getting a set of the non-PP wheels with Eagle F1's for street driving and swapping the G:2's for Super Sports on the PP wheels.

orangesvtbb

Established Member
I got 275's for the front but I am pretty sure the super sports come in 265 now. Go to their website and click on technical specs. They are there now. Weren't when I bought mine, but I don't mind the fatties on front

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
On my 04 cobra, I used Nitto Extreme 555s up front, and their 555R drag radial in the rear. ... I had no problems keeping at the front of the pack, even with modified AWD cars. It was a great combo for street driving.
That is interesting because I have that set up on my 08 and even though I avoid pushing too hard in turns, I am constantly surprised at just how composed it feels given the DRs on the rear. I do avoid rain and sub 50s temps though.

Last edited:

Shin

Established Member
I've never tried them myself, but people on other forums like the Toyo R888.

Friend of mine has them on his Vette, he loves them but they heat cycled within ~6 months.

I recommend Nitto NT05s, had them on my mustang and ran autocross with it, another friend has them on his M5 and also gives them rave reviews in the handling department.

carclub

Established Member
I loved my NTO5s and my 555r's Nitto makes some really great performance tires that hold up and last for a decent time.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Lets start listing the different tires and compounds, with special attention paid to the following:

Price
Sizes available by brand
Wear rating
dry/wet traction
ideal for drag, street, road course or all?
temperature use

I for one am already considering Nitto Invo's, NT05's, Toyo R888, bridgestone or michelin pilot sports

Since I live in florida, where its usually warm or hot, I need a good grippy street tire that can handle very well in the wet but also be good enough for the occasionaly track trip (drag and road) these would be only a couple times of the year. Most use will be street driving....any help will be appreciated and maybe this can become a sticky thread :rockon:

Redzone

Established Member
Lets start listing the different tires and compounds, with special attention paid to the following:

Price
Sizes available by brand
Wear rating
dry/wet traction
ideal for drag, street, road course or all?
temperature use

I for one am already considering Nitto Invo's, NT05's, Toyo R888, bridgestone or michelin pilot sports

Since I live in florida, where its usually warm or hot, I need a good grippy street tire that can handle very well in the wet but also be good enough for the occasionaly track trip (drag and road) these would be only a couple times of the year. Most use will be street driving....any help will be appreciated and maybe this can become a sticky thread :rockon:

Please,please take the Invos off of your list.....they are fine for normal driving,but could get you killed if you're not careful changing direction. Nitto's NT-05 is a great tire. I ran them for awhile on my Z06 & they are great for handling and I'd give them a B+ for straight line grip. Toyo also makes a good tire,but if handling is your main concern,I'd go with either the Bridgestones or the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. With a slight edge to the Michelins. They're about ~$300.00 more than the Bridgestones,it's up to each individual if the slightly better Michelins are worth the difference. It was/is to me.

I know the Michelin PS2 wins every tire test I've ever seen for performance both wet/dry. And they say the Super Sports are even better. I know they've gotten rave reviews on the Corvette Forums. They're what I'm putting on my Z06 when the PS2's start loosing grip.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Please,please take the Invos off of your list.....they are fine for normal driving,but could get you killed if you're not careful changing direction. Nitto's NT-05 is a great tire. I ran them for awhile on my Z06 & they are great for handling and I'd give them a B+ for straight line grip. Toyo also makes a good tire,but if handling is your main concern,I'd go with either the Bridgestones or the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. With a slight edge to the Michelins. They're about ~$300.00 more than the Bridgestones,it's up to each individual if the slightly better Michelins are worth the difference. It was/is to me.

I know the Michelin PS2 wins every tire test I've ever seen for performance both wet/dry. And they say the Super Sports are even better. I know they've gotten rave reviews on the Corvette Forums. They're what I'm putting on my Z06 when the PS2's start loosing grip.

thanx for the feedback...ill definitely keep the Michelins, Bridgestones and Nitto NT05's top of my list...Im definitely big on wet/dry traction on the street
down here since thats most of my driving. I only visit the strip once in a while and so investing in a set of drag radials is a maybe down the road

Users who are viewing this thread