E85 tune.. Is it worth it?

KILRSVT

Established Member
So I have had my ,2014 5.0 for 56 days know and already spent 6k on it , time to make another dumb financial move lol. The car has close to 1,000 miles on it I figure its broken in already. I am going the o/r x pipe and cai route and tune from aed. I started thinking about going E 85 there's a few gas stations here that have it. My question is can I switch from E85 to pump has via the sct run files also do I need bigger injectors and a boost a pump? Thanks I'm advance

Last edited:

REDNIGHTMARE

Established Member
If you are having AED tune your car just go ahead and call Shaun and he will tell you everything you need to know.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
You'll need 47lb injectors for E85 an you'll have to have shaun tune you for E85

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
47lb injectors at a minimum. BAP not necessary unless you're spraying or forced induction

darreng505

Established Member
These cars are not really designed for E85. Yes, you can force the car to consume it.
In the end, it's a trendy fad with long term harm to the motor and fuel system. Maybe you get a few good pulls with it and some slightly better ET's. Short term gratification.

In my opinion, though, not worth it.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
These cars are not really designed for E85. Yes, you can force the car to consume it.
In the end, it's a trendy fad with long term harm to the motor and fuel system. Maybe you get a few good pulls with it and some slightly better ET's. Short term gratification.

My car runs great on it. I have 15k miles on my car and about 5k is with E85. Maybe that is just short term as you say...

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member

All cars produced after the early 2000s are designed to run on ethanol as mandated by the government. E10 has been at the pumps for many years now and fuel systems have been designed and engineered around it.

What long-term harm is done to the motor and fuel system? I'm not trying to argue, but only trying to understand your position.

Ethanol is corrosive, yes, so the end user will need to be on top of their maintenance over the life of the vehicle. The ethanol will break down the oil and as such, it will need to be changed more frequently.

I personally know of guys who have been running it exclusively in the coyote motor and also the LS platform for years with no problems. Bone stock fuel systems and a modified tune are the only changes.

The increased knock suppressant, cooler burn, and extra power are all big wins in my book while conversely having less downsides. The MPG drop is the biggest downside in my opinion, but that is partially offset by the lower cost/gallon.

Just my $.02

D.T.R

Established Member
All cars produced after the early 2000s are designed to run on ethanol as mandated by the government. E10 has been at the pumps for many years now and fuel systems have been designed and engineered around it.

What long-term harm is done to the motor and fuel system? I'm not trying to argue, but only trying to understand your position.

Ethanol is corrosive, yes, so the end user will need to be on top of their maintenance over the life of the vehicle. The ethanol will break down the oil and as such, it will need to be changed more frequently.

I personally know of guys who have been running it exclusively in the coyote motor and also the LS platform for years with no problems. Bone stock fuel systems and a modified tune are the only changes.

The increased knock suppressant, cooler burn, and extra power are all big wins in my book while conversely having less downsides. The MPG drop is the biggest downside in my opinion, but that is partially offset by the lower cost/gallon.

Just my $.02

Couldn't agree anymore.

D.T.R

Established Member
My only complaint about E85......

It's not offered inside the city limits where I live.

Same thing here, but i'm lucky enought to live within 10 mins of the only e85 pump around here lol.
For the other 99% of Jax, it's a 40 ish min drive to go and get some pump e85 lol

darreng505

Established Member

Just my $.02

Well, Ford makes motors that are set up to run E85 or E10. They call it FlexFuel. The coyote is not a flexfuel motor. So that much is true.

In terms of long term harm, corrosion is a known issue with E85. Unless you have special injectors that are stainless steel (and few are) and other non-corrodable parts in the fuel system, you will have problems down the road.

The coyote has only been out a few years so we'll see how it goes. But I'm just saying, in my opinion, its not worth it.

I agree there are some plusses for E85. And if you set up your motor, fuel system and other components to resist the negative effects, then ok. But that's expensive. I didn't say E85 didn't have benefits. It's cool. Just that its not worth the trade offs in my opinion.

I think in about 4 years or so, you will see people start posting about problems emerging from it. For now, still in the early years.

blackcoyote13

Established Member
If you dont mind about $20 more a fill-up for gas, I would just source some VP MS100 gas (5 gallons added per tank with 93 pump for the rest). You'll get all the knock suppression you need with similar performance to E85 within a few whp.

There are other lots of other concerns with E85 besides just having stainless injectors.

Have a look: Vehicle Changes for E85 Conversion

Users who are viewing this thread