E85 tune and e85 fuel smell

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
So I just finished up tuning the cobra with 04 sleeper. The E85 tune is great and finally able to unlock the 2.9 Whipple. I do need new tires now. Lol

For people running e85 my garage currently smells like it. I believe I have the good fuel hose PTFE. How to I get the smell to go away? Is it my evap system that's letting it leak out??

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Hmm. Do you have any cans or containers that have had it in them? If you do have the teflon lines that shouldn't be your issue. Double check all of your fittings and o-rings to make sure you dont have a leak somewhere too.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
first Id check each fitting with the system under pressure, my Fragola stuff was weeping at the little pin that allows the fitting to swivel. It wasn't obvious eyeballing it but if I put a paper towel on it there would be a wet spot. If that checks out I'd disconnect a fitting and shine a flash light in there, that liner should be readily apparent

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
First, definitely check with Lethal to determine in you have PTFE line.
If you DO, the smell is likely a sign of an issue especially for a new install.
Did you install? If not? I’d take it to who did to go over every fitting.
Most importantly check in the engine bay as you don’t want a leaking injector or rail, fire risk.
E85 is worth the hassle so good luck
-J

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
If you do have PFTE all around then it must be some kind of a leak. I never had any garage smell on E85 with mine. Only when i had a couple of small leaks did I ever notice garage smell. Fixed those up and nice and smell free.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Interested in your findings, I have the exact same setup

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
My documents don't say if I have the PTFE hose or not. I checked On lethals site it looks like the PTFE. I'm trying to verify with them. I'll probably drop the tank down some when it's close to empty and check all my connections /vent lines. Hope I just forgot something when I put it back together

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Did you install the budget kit? The ptfe has a ferrol you put on the inner tube, the other styles trap the tube to the fitting via the nut. If it’s not ptfe it could be permeation thru the hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Did you install the budget kit? The ptfe has a ferrol you put on the inner tube, the other styles trap the tube to the fitting via the nut. If it’s not ptfe it could be permeation thru the hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did not install

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

MG0h3

Established Member
Mine smelled like fuel during tuning and took a few days to clear up. I don’t know if the Evap is disabled during tuning or what. Totally gone now and I never changed anything. Ptfe hose used.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

bigmoose

Established Member
I installed a full fore system with PTFE myself. I have been running e85 for 3 years straight and never had any fuel smell in the garage. My evap system is fully functioning.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Well looks like it's PTFE by connectors and type of hose according to lethal. I likely have a leak so I'll have to look around for it.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

MG0h3

Established Member
Not familiar with your kit or what you have but if you can find a way to run the pump with key on engine off and crank pressure up at the reg, should make it somewhat easier.

When I got done with my install I jumpered my Hobbs to run the second pump and cranked the ref up to 75psi for a couple min.

No leaks found.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Not familiar with your kit or what you have but if you can find a way to run the pump with key on engine off and crank pressure up at the reg, should make it somewhat easier.

When I got done with my install I jumpered my Hobbs to run the second pump and cranked the ref up to 75psi for a couple min.

No leaks found.

Great idea. Thanks

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

Users who are viewing this thread