E85 Results on Centri Mach 1

Mach828

Established Member
I recently got into doing my own tuning. I finally had a chance to compare 91oct vs e85. This is on a S trim v2 with an air to air intercooler peaking at 8lbs of boost. 91 oct tune was 17 degrees of timing and my e8 tune saw 23 degrees. It made half a lb less boost than my 91oct dyno run (weather). Stock 115k mile long block.

Running a single walbro 465 and its only at 78% duty cycle.

e85%20mach_zps9enof9dl.png

Last edited:

Mach828

Established Member
I think 540 is really pushing it for the stock engine. Don't want to scatter it just yet.

Joewee500

Established Member
50whp from swapping to e85 and bumping timing. Great numbers. Any driveabilty issues or driving impressions with new power?

Lightning&Mach1

Established Member
Damn Impressive numbers 91 and e85. Our Mach back with a stock longblock and 93 made +/-5rwhp.

Seems like the 2v guys are keeping motors together longer with e85 also.

flyboy1294

Established Member
I'm curious about your timing settings. Did you add timing all across all loads, or did you only increase the peak timing? Do you have it setup in steps once the car is under boost (renormalizing the spark tables), or does it just peg out once the car reaches 1.0 load?

I'm running 93 and am in the process of transitioning to e85 and am trying to wrap my head around how to go about this.

Mach828

Established Member
I'm curious about your timing settings. Did you add timing all across all loads, or did you only increase the peak timing? Do you have it setup in steps once the car is under boost (renormalizing the spark tables), or does it just peg out once the car reaches 1.0 load?

I'm running 93 and am in the process of transitioning to e85 and am trying to wrap my head around how to go about this.

Sorry for the slow reply. Here is my BLK table for e85. It goes from 20 degrees to 23 on a WOT pull.

machtimingtbl_zpsuunjsnwt.png

Last edited:

mystickb1996

Established Member
Very nice gains! And that a pretty darn aggressive timing table for a stock motor car. You could ramp or find where your load is a wot and tune softer around that table.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
How's the e85 working out? Can you please update this thread with any info you learned since converting? Motor still holding together. Im strongling considering converting for next season and shooting for 10's on stock motor, trans, and rearend.

Mach828

Established Member
How's the e85 working out? Can you please update this thread with any info you learned since converting? Motor still holding together. Im strongling considering converting for next season and shooting for 10's on stock motor, trans, and rearend.

Engine was still running strong with zero issues on the e85. I just pulled the engine out last weekend for a full tear down and rebuild. Forged internals, fresh heads, comp cams, etc. Also swapping in a built 4r70w with the engine swap. I'm going to see what it traps with that setup, no pulley change. I'm hoping for really low 11s at 125mph. Afterwards I will spin the blower harder with an overdrive lower. If I don't hit mid 10s at 130+mph I'll swap it out for a Paxton 2200 or if I'm close maybe just an SI upgrade.

I think the detonation resistance that e85 provides really helps keep the stock engine running when you are pushing it to its upper limits. I wouldn't be able to reach my power goals on pump gas. With a turbo or big blower car you can just turn up the boost to increase cylinder pressure and power, with a little centri I don't have that option.

One thing I did learn is that e85 on my car did not like low timing and a more conservative AFR 11.0-11.4. It would run sloppy and miss. It runs very smooth and more powerful with aggressive timing and AFR 11.8-12.0. Runs better off boost with the e85 as well. I e85 convert almost every car I own, its the best.

Last edited:

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
What was the rest of your fuel system like? Did the single 465 fit in the stock fuel basket? Did you run a modified FPDM?

I want to convert my GT over the E85 in the spring but cant decide what way to go for the fuel system. The lethal budget return system with two 465s will be overkill (Id wire one pump to a hobbs switch) but will allow me to grow in the future.

Maybe two 340s in a return or extremely budget system and stick with returnless with only one 465 and 60lb or 80lb injectors. Im only shooting for 420ish rwhp.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
What was the rest of your fuel system like? Did the single 465 fit in the stock fuel basket? Did you run a modified FPDM?

I want to convert my GT over the E85 in the spring but cant decide what way to go for the fuel system. The lethal budget return system with two 465s will be overkill (Id wire one pump to a hobbs switch) but will allow me to grow in the future.

Maybe two 340s in a return or extremely budget system and stick with returnless with only one 465 and 60lb or 80lb injectors. Im only shooting for 420ish rwhp.

You can do 420 on e85 with 60's and single pump. Maybe not even a 465.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
You can do 420 on e85 with 60's and single pump. Maybe not even a 465.

What pump would you recommend? Lethal sells an Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH but may be too big for the stock fuel basket. They also have a Deatschworks 340lph compact pump which is advertised as a drop in replacement for 99-04 GT, or an AEM 320LPH which will need me to modify the hat of the basket slightly.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
The best pump I know of that flows a little less than a 465 is the 400 pump that Fore sells:

http://www.foreinnovations.com/product_p/w-f90000262.htm

It's not "officially" an e85 pump, but Fore has explained that it's OK to use with e85, it will just reduce it's expected life to *only* 80k miles or something like that. Now if it works with the hat\tank setup on a GT, I'm not sure as I'm a Terminator guy. Getting a Terminator stock tank and pump setup is another option that I know some GT guys go with.

Last edited:

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
The best pump I know of that flows a little less than a 465 is the 400 pump that Fore sells:

http://www.foreinnovations.com/product_p/w-f90000262.htm

It's not "officially" an e85 pump, but Fore has explained that it's OK to use with e85, it will just reduce it's expected life to *only* 80k miles or something like that. Now if it works with the hat\tank setup on a GT, I'm not sure as I'm a Terminator guy. Getting a Terminator stock tank and pump setup is another option that I know some GT guys go with.

Thanks for the help. Ive thought of swapping tanks but dont wont do that unless I find a tank for cheap.

Id most likely need to do some modifications to make that TI pump fit in a stock basket.

I did a little more research and found that the DW300m 340lph pump seems to be well received by other car communities for e85. I think I may go with that since its a direct drop in and I cant really go much higher HP wise with a stock 2v rotating assembly. I hate having to do things twice, but rather not spend the money on a fuel system I dont need. I dont have plans on building an engine any time soon.

Last edited:

Mach828

Established Member
The 340 is easy to put in the stock tank. Just have to enlarge the slot slightly. The 465 was a bit more challenging. I just created a new top out of sheet metal. 465 is a far better pump. I didnt mod the fpdm just drilled holes in the cover and added a 12v computer fan. I think the fpdms fail due to heat. Before the fan i had issues with it overheating. I did a wire upgrade on the fuel pump and alternator. 60lb injectors and thats it.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread