E85 or meth

vortecd

Established Member
You have to look at all the factors and what would work the best for you. On my last car, meth worked best for me. If I were to do it again, it would still be meth

NitrousExpress

Established Member
I wish we had e85 readily available around here. It works great and alot of people have had success with it. Water Methanol enrichment on pump gas can also be very handy too if thats what your asking.

Thanks,
Garrett

nosscort

Established Member
Better find a good tuner who knows what they are doing tuning meth.. from my understanding most of the very well known tuners won't tune for meth on this platform.

Tx5.0

Established Member
I wish we had e85 readily available around here. It works great and alot of people have had success with it. Water Methanol enrichment on pump gas can also be very handy too if thats what your asking.

Thanks,
Garrett

There is an e85 station on Sheppard AFB.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I have an AIS trunk mount 3 gallon meth kit with dual 10gph nozzles on my car now. Its on there to cool down the IAT's from my procharger setup. Having said that i'm switching over to e85 and may keep the meth kit on it also depending on what Lund says.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
How long can e85 stay in your car and still be safe to run? Example , if you had a dedicated track car that didn't see much street time is it safe to leave e85 in the tank?

SCalla1384

Established Member
Better find a good tuner who knows what they are doing tuning meth.. from my understanding most of the very well known tuners won't tune for meth on this platform.

I hear a lot of people say that. I'm not a tuner by any means. But, my old tuner tuned my 2v making 13psi on the stock motor. With meth. I asked him, how is it to tune with? He said it's not hard.

Now take a look at these cars, with on board wide bands makes it easier. If for some reason the meth doesn't spray, afr can be adjusted pretty easily, and pull timing. My tuner had it set up like this on my 2v.

Usually, if meth doesn't spray it'll lean out .5. Depending on jet size and what not. But it can easily be adjusted on the fly.

I'm not saying tuning or tuning meth is easy. But a lot of people get the impression that meth is very hard to tune, and run away from it. When it actually works extremely well. On a 85 degree night, a 1-4th gear pull my intake temps dropped to 65 degrees at the lowest point, at the end of the pull was like 68 degrees. It works really good.

prn1972

Established Member
I was told by the owner of Alkycontrol that its basically twice the work to tune with meth. He said most tuners don't want to take the time to rewrite all the tables.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
How long can e85 stay in your car and still be safe to run? Example , if you had a dedicated track car that didn't see much street time is it safe to leave e85 in the tank?

My car was just tuned a few weeks ago with E85 that was bought back in November... It turns to shit winter grade (E70) from Nov to May up here in the MI, OH area... My tuner filled up his own car + 100gal for tunning customer cars over the winter... It Last longer then first rumored...

SCalla1384

Established Member
I was told by the owner of Alkycontrol that its basically twice the work to tune with meth. He said most tuners don't want to take the time to rewrite all the tables.

Well, wouldn't e85 be the same thing?

Idk I could be 100% wrong. Be nice to hear a tuner come in and explain if meth is hard or simple to tune for.

prn1972

Established Member
Well, wouldn't e85 be the same thing?

Idk I could be 100% wrong. Be nice to hear a tuner come in and explain if meth is hard or simple to tune for.
E85 is just one fuel....pump + meth is a different beast....not necessary hard for someone that's knows what they are doing. Just time consuming.

NitrousExpress

Established Member
I ment cause it burns differently. I'd assume a completely new tune file would have to be written?

Water methanol enrichment on pump gas would allow you to run more timing and get more aggressive in the tune, just like e85 would. The water methanol is controlled with its own controller/WOT switch and basically allows you to run more boost, or more timing than you would be able to on just pump gas. Its kind of like running race fuel in the sense that it provides an octane boost and methanol helps cool things off ALOT. Same thing with E85, but your fuel trims will change and the tuner will have to tell the injectors to put out more fuel in the tune, hence the normal drop in gas mileage most people see, because you consume alot more e85, which is why you have to normally run a boost a pump or a bigger fuel pump and injectors.

Thanks,
Garrett

mhyjek

Established Member
I have meth in my paxton setup tuned by Lund, Jon Jr. didn't want to tune for it unless my motor was built but he did make some provisions in my tune that open the knock sensors to add more timing if IAT's stay at ambient or lower. I have the IAT relocated at throttle body and meth spraying before throttle body. Only one nozzle have another one which I was going to put preblower in air intake. I didn't since I'm selling the car. With all that said my car runs stronger on meth 7gph nozzle spraying at 4 psi and above then not running the meth. Never dynoed on meth but from my mph at the track I know it makes more power.

Users who are viewing this thread