E85 for my Coyote?

FlashNinja11

Pipe Dream King
Established Member
So I just picked up my 2012 GT and I was curious about E85 for the track. My issue is what do I need to run E85 at the track on my 5.0? I know I need a tune but do I need bigger fuel injectors, newer spark plugs, a new fuel pump or anything? Also after I am done at the track and go to drive the 50-60 miles home can I mix 93 octance E10 in with the E85 to get home?

FlashNinja11

Pipe Dream King
Established Member
Thanks for your help Nosscort... I searched and found nothing that was useful in answering my questions. I read through 04Sleeper's posts and there is a lot of good information but that doesn't tell me what injectors I should run if they need replaced, and really didn't answer my own questions. Can someone that will answer my question please help?

Ill_W1N

Established Member
You just need atleast 47lb injectors and a new tune for e85 and your good na. Once you go with boost then you will need atleast bap, preferably a fuel system.

I would not mix the fuels. Buy a couple of gas cans to fill e85 with if you just plan on running it at the track. You will need to buy a gt500 filter and some hose to hook to your fuel rail to swap fuels too. Whoever tunes your car for e85 will provide you with a fuel pump tune to drain the tank of any remaining e85 to swap back to reg gas.

Last edited:

FlashNinja11

Pipe Dream King
Established Member
Awesome! Thank you so much! Gonna have VMP tune for E85 and luckily the track has a gas station that sells E85 right next to it. So 47lbs injectors, gt500 fuel filter and gt500 fuel hoses if running NA?

nosscort

Established Member
no.. the filter and hose is to drain the tank of any pump gas (91-93) from the tank so than you can put e85 in the tank, load new tune and than drive. 47lbs injectors and a tune are needed for a full bolt on N/A setup. If you searched you would have found more than enough info my friend..

Last edited:

zachcrosen

Established Member
I dont have experience with E85 but I have read where some guys just run really low on E85 or pump gas before swapping to the other with no problems.

I would go E85 in mine but the closest station that sells it is 45+ miles away and I never go that way!

zachcrosen

Established Member
Scratch that. I just found a Shell station that supposedly has E85 that is 9 miles from my house.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I would not use e85 if you are planning on adding longtube headers. In fact, I would not use e85 at all and wish I never switched to it.

I had to get my front o2 or wideband sensors relocated because the moisture in the fuel was killing them causing my car to run like shit.

I do not know if the problem lies in my tune but when I come to a stop, my idle drops to around 600rpms and jumps back up to 750, I also have a hesitation out of boost or when going part - throttle, again, I do not know if this is tune related or the moisture is ruining the o2's again. Also, the moisture will get into your oil and all that other BS you probably already know about.

cb900f

Established Member
I would not use e85 if you are planning on adding longtube headers. In fact, I would not use e85 at all and wish I never switched to it.

I had to get my front o2 or wideband sensors relocated because the moisture in the fuel was killing them causing my car to run like shit.

I do not know if the problem lies in my tune but when I come to a stop, my idle drops to around 600rpms and jumps back up to 750, I also have a hesitation out of boost or when going part - throttle, again, I do not know if this is tune related or the moisture is ruining the o2's again. Also, the moisture will get into your oil and all that other BS you probably already know about.

Interesting to hear about your idle. Mine does the same with stock manifolds. So far it runs fine, I just notice at idle (when fully warm) it jumps around.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Interesting to hear about your idle. Mine does the same with stock manifolds. So far it runs fine, I just notice at idle (when fully warm) it jumps around.

In full boost or just putzing around the car runs fine. When coming to a stop, the cars idle dies down to 600 or so rpms then jumps back up.

It's strange your car is doing it with the stock shorty headers. When you turn your car off for around an hour then start it back up (while still a little warm), does the idle jump up and down?

cb900f

Established Member
In full boost or just putzing around the car runs fine. When coming to a stop, the cars idle dies down to 600 or so rpms then jumps back up.

It's strange your car is doing it with the stock shorty headers. When you turn your car off for around an hour then start it back up (while still a little warm), does the idle jump up and down?

I have an oven (Roush blower) ontop of the motor. So yes, sitting for an hour it still does it. I notice that when the car is hot and I shut the car of for a short period and try to start it again, it cranks longer.

JeremyH

Established Member
What I have been doing is running a tank of regular pump gas through the car after going through a couple tanks of e85. Keeps the system cleaned up and moisture from accumulating. Also if you car is going to sit for awhile I would not let it sit with e85 in it.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I have an oven (Roush blower) ontop of the motor. So yes, sitting for an hour it still does it. I notice that when the car is hot and I shut the car of for a short period and try to start it again, it cranks longer.

Haha the oven comment was pretty funny. Mine did that too, I have a return-style fuel system and I was told to get in, turn the key to the "on" position, wait 3-5 seconds and then crank. It fires right up normally ever since I've started doing that. worth a shot to try it.

What I have been doing is running a tank of regular pump gas through the car after going through a couple tanks of e85. Keeps the system cleaned up and moisture from accumulating. Also if you car is going to sit for awhile I would not let it sit with e85 in it.

Do you have 2 separate tunes?

cb900f

Established Member
Haha the oven comment was pretty funny. Mine did that too, I have a return-style fuel system and I was told to get in, turn the key to the "on" position, wait 3-5 seconds and then crank. It fires right up normally ever since I've started doing that. worth a shot to try it.

Do you have 2 separate tunes?
I've got the Fore return style. Hard to explain it just cranks more. I do the wait thing also. It does help.

Users who are viewing this thread