E85 corrosive to fuel level sending units?

qwikcobra

Established Member
I have been researching the conversion to E85 and was reading about fuel pumps going out anywhere from a few weeks to a year, walbro or walbro knockoff pumps mostly. I also ran accross where fuel level sending units which are exposed to the fuel are also going out. I didnt see any mustang specific threads? Wanted to ask here if this is an issue anyone has dealt with?

Also anyone seen or heard about the new 450lph walbro pump designed for E85,
it just came out this month.

Walbro E85 High Performance In Tank Fuel Pump

TI Automotive Releases New High-performance E85-compatible Fuel Pump for Aftermarket Applications -- AUBURN HILLS, Mich., April 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

street591

®®®®
Established Member
The connector between the level sending unit and the hat wiring is where they usually corrode, at least on aftermarket setups. Most hats, especially from mustang represented vendors (such as lethal) include a small piece of fully submersible heat shrink tubing so you can eliminate the problem.

Also, if plan on storing the car for a period of time, water becomes your enemy. E85 attracts moisture so they ideal thing to do is have a low boost tune for straight 93 pump gas and ran that in your last tank of the season before storage to flush out the E85 from the lines and injectors.

Users who are viewing this thread