E85 and nitrous

danisanangel

Established Member
I've been searching and can't seem to find really anyone who has really put out numbers or times on a similar setup that I plan on doing. I know the tvs would be better way to go but I kinda want to test the waters with this. I have 2011 with intake 2.5 pulley off road x pipe and tune. I plan on going with the NX plate kit and e85. I want to know if anyone on here has done something like it or is this not a good idea. :shrug:

nxhappy

Established Member
A 75-100 wet shot would be ok. Just have to have it tuned.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I wonder what kind of gains you would actually see with E85 and nitrous since E85 already cools cylinder temps? I've contemplated putting a 50-75 shot on mine too, but don't know if it'd be worth the hassle.

danisanangel

Established Member
I wonder what kind of gains you would actually see with E85 and nitrous since E85 already cools cylinder temps? I've contemplated putting a 50-75 shot on mine too, but don't know if it'd be worth the hassle.

Same here. I the biggest shot I'd do is 100 for now, trying to get others input on this to see if it's worth it.

c0rn_fed

Established Member
If everything goes right this winter I am doing this on my car with a built motor. So I will have numbers in the spring

Speedboosted

Established Member

I don't think a 50 shot would be worth it at all. If you played it safe and tuned for it, I'd be shocked if you picked up more than 30 whp if it's a dry shot. A wet 75 would be good from a $$ to HP perspective since I don't know of anything else that can gain that power for $700 if you already have a tvs.

FWIW, my boss' previous motor setup was a basic built 5.4 but with really low compression (8.0:1). He trapped 123-124 with a tvs and then 130 or so with a wet 100 shot. I gave him a bunch of crap because his built motor nitrous car was slower than my stock motor blower car but he certainly had more room to grow with the size of the shot. It's got a 200 shot now with higher comp, ported everything, numbers coming soon.

nxhappy

Established Member
I don't think a 50 shot would be worth it at all. If you played it safe and tuned for it, I'd be shocked if you picked up more than 30 whp if it's a dry shot. A wet 75 would be good from a $$ to HP perspective since I don't know of anything else that can gain that power for $700 if you already have a tvs.

FWIW, my boss' previous motor setup was a basic built 5.4 but with really low compression (8.0:1). He trapped 123-124 with a tvs and then 130 or so with a wet 100 shot. I gave him a bunch of crap because his built motor nitrous car was slower than my stock motor blower car but he certainly had more room to grow with the size of the shot. It's got a 200 shot now with higher comp, ported everything, numbers coming soon.

NX is rated to the wheels on a N/A motor. On boosted motors you will typically see more HP and more TQ. And not just a little....typically a 75 wet will output 100-125whp. A 100 shot would add 125-150 whp.

That being said, the TVS is a far better unit compared to the HEATON. Adding nitrous to a blower is a lot of stress on the motor.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
NX is rated to the wheels on a N/A motor. On boosted motors you will typically see more HP and more TQ. And not just a little....typically a 75 wet will output 100-125whp. A 100 shot would add 125-150 whp.

That being said, the TVS is a far better unit compared to the HEATON. Adding nitrous to a blower is a lot of stress on the motor.

Are the gains on E85 the same as gasoline?

Speedboosted

Established Member

Didn't know that, good info. I've thought about running a small wet shot for pure cooling purposes. I was going to toss a slightly larger upper pulley on and then do a wet 75. Gain some power, but keep it much cooler. I should've bought the kit from LMR while it was on sale for Black Firday

nxhappy

Established Member
Are the gains on E85 the same as gasoline?

good question. I assume the e85 gains will be more. being that the e85 burns slower, therefore you can bump the advanced timing. Usually with nitrous and regular gas you have to lower the timing 1-2 degrees to prevent detonation. but that would not be the case with e85 and nitrous. e85 allows you to run advanced timing over 20+ degrees.

nxhappy

Established Member
Didn't know that, good info. I've thought about running a small wet shot for pure cooling purposes. I was going to toss a slightly larger upper pulley on and then do a wet 75. Gain some power, but keep it much cooler. I should've bought the kit from LMR while it was on sale for Black Firday

yep. lower the IATs. nitrous is fine as long as you run the safey equip.....ie window switch, wot switch, etc

danisanangel

Established Member
Thanks for the good info. I just really wanted to hears others input on this or to see if anyone has done it before willing to share some results.

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
I have a 2.8kb and shark nozzle wet shot with nos progressive controller, and e85. On blower and 24psi car made 743rwhp on very very coservative mustang dyno (same set up did 840 rwhp on dynojet). With 75 shot it did 805rwhp on mustang dyno. Car picked up just over 60 rwhp and about a 100 rwtq. We didn't touch timing at all, which was 18°. Based on all the readings car can probably easy take a 100.....but I find it plenty quick for now, traction really becomes an issue. Oh yeah, stock motor

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
:)

I really what the tvs but kinda curious to see some results on e85 and some juice. Here in a few months I'll be getting one for sure. I'll hopefully be ordering the plate and the rest of the stuff to run e85 :)

TVS will give you constant power and possibly cheaper too! (I'm not too sure how much an all in nitrous kit is.) However, I do know how much it costs to do E85. Great fuel, but a little more expensive to setup over the TVS fuel mods. (56# and possibly a BAP for a TVS/ID1000's and BAP for E85 minimum) Not trying to sway you one way or another, (well, maybe a little bit...lol), but I think the TVS would be an overall better solution to having constant power at similar levels.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I have a 2.8kb and shark nozzle wet shot with nos progressive controller, and e85. On blower and 24psi car made 743rwhp on very very coservative mustang dyno (same set up did 840 rwhp on dynojet). With 75 shot it did 805rwhp on mustang dyno. Car picked up just over 60 rwhp and about a 100 rwtq. We didn't touch timing at all, which was 18°. Based on all the readings car can probably easy take a 100.....but I find it plenty quick for now, traction really becomes an issue. Oh yeah, stock motor

Thanks for the solid numbers! Seems it does produce a little less hp on E85...

nxhappy

Established Member
TVS will give you constant power and possibly cheaper too! (I'm not too sure how much an all in nitrous kit is.) However, I do know how much it costs to do E85. Great fuel, but a little more expensive to setup over the TVS fuel mods. (56# and possibly a BAP for a TVS/ID1000's and BAP for E85 minimum) Not trying to sway you one way or another, (well, maybe a little bit...lol), but I think the TVS would be an overall better solution to having constant power at similar levels.

Totally agree. The stock Eaton is not efficient enough for high horse applications.

Users who are viewing this thread