e85 and detonation

125oh

Established Member
This is prob a dumb question but I just switched to e85 on my 2012 mustang gt and I love the extra power it gave me . But I also know that one of yhe big perks with the corn is lil to no chance of detonate . I tell my friends this when they ask why did you switch fuel for 15-20 hp and I can't tell them why it don't detonate . Can someone explain ?

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
This is prob a dumb question but I just switched to e85 on my 2012 mustang gt and I love the extra power it gave me . But I also know that one of yhe big perks with the corn is lil to no chance of detonate . I tell my friends this when they ask why did you switch fuel for 15-20 hp and I can't tell them why it don't detonate . Can someone explain ?

e85 does detonate if given the right conditions.. but it is more resistant to detonation than 93 octane fuel. e85 burns at a lower temperature than 93 octane fuel does and this will help with reducing heat spots in the combustion chamber that will ignite the fuel prematurely. also because you are dumping so much more fuel in the intake port it will actually cool the intake air charge. additionally e85 has a much higher auto ignition temperature than 93 octane as well. whcih means that it requires a much hotter hot spot in the combustion chamber to pre ignite. for this reason you can run alot more timing on e85 and get away with higher cylinder presures than with 93 octane. but if the conditions are right there will be pre ignition which could result in engine damage.

Twisted2v

Established Member
E85 is basically high octane fuel. Any time you use higher octane you can use more timing, which means more power.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
The main reason is the cooling effect of the alcohol fuel. It does have a higher octane rating but it's not as high as if the octane was the only reason for it's knock resistance. I haven't seen too many people detonate it. I ran 21* of timing on high boost-1028rwhpo/1094rwtq. Crazy fuel....

65fastback2+2

Established Member
e85 does detonate if given the right conditions.. but it is more resistant to detonation than 93 octane fuel. e85 burns at a lower temperature than 93 octane fuel does and this will help with reducing heat spots in the combustion chamber that will ignite the fuel prematurely. also because you are dumping so much more fuel in the intake port it will actually cool the intake air charge. additionally e85 has a much higher auto ignition temperature than 93 octane as well. whcih means that it requires a much hotter hot spot in the combustion chamber to pre ignite. for this reason you can run alot more timing on e85 and get away with higher cylinder presures than with 93 octane. but if the conditions are right there will be pre ignition which could result in engine damage.

really only thing left out here is that it is an oxygenated and as the fuel burns it releases oxygen allowing for a complete burn and no left over unspent fuel

125oh

Established Member
Great info guys I acually just finished up my tune with bbr today for e85 . Car is at 30degrees timing and afr is right in the 12.4-12.6 range . Car def runs stronger with the e85 . Next is a e85 and 100 shot tune

jblood37

Established Member
Great info guys I acually just finished up my tune with bbr today for e85 . Car is at 30degrees timing and afr is right in the 12.4-12.6 range . Car def runs stronger with the e85 . Next is a e85 and 100 shot tune

I hope that you accidently typed the wrong numbers here.

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
If he's N/A then he's about right for timing and AFR.

Users who are viewing this thread