E55 vs SL63

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Sorry, no Ford content, but this is all the action I've gotten recently, and they're still fast cars. :burnout:

I was driving home today, and sitting at a light when I noticed a black Mercedes SL coming up behind me. He moved over into the left lane and was looking at me as he pulled up. It was a black 2009 SL63 (R230 model, post-refresh, N/A 6.2L with 518hp). He smiled and I knew it was time for a run, and I felt fairly confident. Note: the road ahead is wide, straight, and has no lights for roughly 1.5 miles, and there is no traffic.

I started pulling immediately as the traction control struggled but successfully contained my 516 lb-ft of torque. I glanced over at around 70 and had roughly 2 car lengths, and kept going until about 120. I still had those 2 lengths, but it looked like he was slowly inching up. I let off and he kept going by so I got a listen to the glorious M156 exhaust. He slowed back down, gave me a big thumbs up, then pointed towards a parking lot we were approaching.

We both pulled in and had a nice chat about our cars. This guy was in his late 50s, and didn't believe I was stock. I had to explain that my car was lighter, only down a few ponies, and has a bunch more torque. To make him feel better, I said he would have passed me soon enough because of his superior top-end gearing.

This car is a blast, it's just so easy to drive fast. It's like it's not even trying hard at 120. I can't wait to get a pulley & tune! :banana:

kaz109

Established Member
Great run...i have wanted to run a E55 for a while now to see how a 63 would stack up to the torque monster 55 . What mph did u start at? 40 or so?

03MachAB

Established Member
It's always nice when their a good sport. People normally just look straight ahead while pouting and fly by ya

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Great run...i have wanted to run a E55 for a while now to see how a 63 would stack up to the torque monster 55. What mph did u start at? 40 or so?

Thanks. Dig.

There is a guy by my work in a C63, I've asked if he wants to run, but he always declines. Drives like a maniac in my business park, but like an old lady out on the main roads.

You should a little quicker through the quarter, since our weights are about the same and you have better gearing. Also, does your car have Launch Control? I think I could pull on you from a 20-40 roll (yay torque :banana:), but you would probably catch me once we passed into triple digits.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
It's great to hear an AMG story, even if this is an SVT forum. Keep 'em coming!

Pretty tough to beat the torque of the blown AMG 55 engine. Totally believable that you were able to take out a 6.2L SL. Great cars, but long live the Kompressor! :beer:

scv8

Sideways SVT Poster
Established Member
It's great to hear an AMG story, even if this is an SVT forum. Keep 'em coming!

:beer:

I think some of the AMG guys get tired of us talking about our SVTs on the AMG forum. Which is is kinda stupid because there are natural similarities, and a lot to learn from the way SVT does things.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member

I think some of the AMG guys get tired of us talking about our SVTs on the AMG forum. Which is is kinda stupid because there are natural similarities, and a lot to learn from the way SVT does things.

Seriously. I've seen several 55K owners running Cobra intercooler reservoirs and heat exchangers!

I was surprised at the similarities in owner communities when I bought the E55. Of all the AMGs, it seems the 55K guys are concerned solely about performance and the owners are very helpful and knowledgeable. It's a really awesome benefit I wasn't expecting!

redfire03 svt

Established Member

Yes sir DVC:beer:

All us E55's guys care about is speed:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread