E36 M3

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Well, I'm getting tired of my 98 Cobra and am looking into possibly picking up one of these cars. There is just no comparison in the driving experience, even though I'd be down on power compared to my 98.

I know a little bit about them, like the differences in the 95 year versus the others but don't really know what to look for in these cars.

Could you provide any insight into your experience with these cars and provide any problems I should look for in these cars? Do you know of any good sites I should check out to get more info?

Anything you guys can help me with would be awesome, I just want to be as educated as I can be before possibly getting into one of these.

Thanks,

Paul

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
uh...they are slow..handle ok..but really kind of boring. either go E30 M3 or E46 M3.

Lol, maybe if money wasn't a problem.

Seriously though, I don't want this thread to turn into a flame fest on the E36 M3, I just want to hear some honest opinions on the car from previous owners or people who know these cars well.

Paul

UCBeau

well i've driven a few..my brother is hugely into BMW's..has 5 different bimmers..so i know what they can do and can't..

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I outgunned one of these M3s from a stoplight in my HPP Vic, went through a backwards S and still was out in front. He couldn't seem to pull even with me in the curves, which really surprised me. I don't really think they are the best representation of the M3 mystique. Now the later models are super nice.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Traveler said:
I outgunned one of these M3s from a stoplight in my HPP Vic, went through a backwards S and still was out in front. He couldn't seem to pull even with me in the curves, which really surprised me. I don't really think they are the best representation of the M3 mystique. Now the later models are super nice.

The driver probably had no balls. The cars handle well and are quick, but by no means fast unless you start modding them. I think that you actually might find the car too refined compared to the Cobra. Both are great cars, but are great in very different areas, and fail where the other suceeds. I'd say look for something else if you like the kind of driving experience the cobra gives you.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
I'm actually looking for this refined aspect of the M3. We own a 98 323 and I love the way the car drives. My 98 is my daily driver, and the clunkiness and unrefined aspects of my Cobra drive me nuts at times.

If I didn't have another Mustang that I dump money into I wouldn't even be considering this, but I think one of these M3s would make a great refined daily driver with some pep and great handling.

Also to the Vic owner that outgunned the M3, it was most likely an auto. The auto M3s are complete dogs and there are surprisingly a lot of them out there.

Paul

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
T-Bolt said:
The driver probably had no balls.

Could be so, in regards to the curves. However, I truly believe he was looking to prove something to me off the light. That particular day was rather warm and I had my roof open. When he pulled alongside, I looked over at him and I think he saw a 30-ish guy driving a Vic and thought he'd impress me. I could tell he was sitting poised ready to go on green. I took him off the light and as we enter the curves, he may have decided to he didn't want to enter too hot, but now the Vic with the handling suspension does handle surprisingly well. When we emerged form the last of the curve, we were approaching traffic and I backed off. He then passed me and proceeded to do the 'weave in and out' thing. So the curves, I'm not sure about but I feel sure I bested him legitmately in accelerating off the light.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
grandestang said:
Also to the Vic owner that outgunned the M3, it was most likely an auto. The auto M3s are complete dogs and there are surprisingly a lot of them out there.

Paul

It was definitely a manual. Now, could the guy drive?? :shrug: My car is probably a low 15 second car in the quarter. If I had been in my old 01 Cobra, it would have been far too easy of a take down in that scenario.

kfrg

Banned
Nice car's. One of the few Euro car's that evokes any feeling from me. Stylingwise I would take one over an E46 in a heartbeat, although they need some help in the go-department.
Trust me, if your used to a '98 Cobra, you will get bored of an M3 QUICK. Do yourself a favor, throw a Griggs setup on your car and call it a day.
Also I have noticed what some of these car's have been going for to be wayyy overpriced for what you are getting.

svtcontour

Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
uh...they are slow..handle ok..but really kind of boring. either go E30 M3 or E46 M3.

Wait you say the E36 is slow and then you tell him to go for an E30?? The E36 was bone stock a 14.20 car (car and driver) and possibly faster with a real driver. The E30 was a low 15 second car. Also if he manages to pick up the 286HP Euro spec model, I'd be willing to bet its not that much slower than his 98 cobra in a straight line and will walk it on the highway.

As far as handling goes, the E36 is a great handler.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
the E36 m3 had no balls, and was not fast. that is a simple fact.

Ok you've made your point.... twice now... If I was looking for a fast car I wouldn't be looking at these cars. Not everything is about power/speed. I have a 70 that will soon be recieving a 500 hp 393W to get my kicks.

KFRG631 said:
Trust me, if your used to a '98 Cobra, you will get bored of an M3 QUICK. Do yourself a favor, throw a Griggs setup on your car and call it a day.
Also I have noticed what some of these car's have been going for to be wayyy overpriced for what you are getting.

A Griggs setup on my car may put it on rails but it will still be a Mustang. It will still be loud, squeeky, clunky and well, cheaply put together compared to the bimmer. I love the way bimmers make you feel like you're part of the car and not just behing the wheel driving it.

I've noticed that some of these cars get way more than their worth, but I've found some good deals you just have to be patient.

Still looking for opinions/insight. Thanks,

Paul

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:

+1 I've got a buddy with a manual E36 M3 and it's alright. Pretty quick with an intake and chip. And it handles pretty good too. But I'd still MUCH prefer an E30. Probably my favorite M3 of all time.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Traveler said:
Could be so, in regards to the curves.

That's what I meant. Those things are dogs in a drag.

Grande, if you like your 323, you will love an M3.

smokey

Established Member
I personally would rather have an E36 M3 over an E46 M3. I have a bit of driving time behind the wheel of both, and the E36 just won me over. The torque is a lot better at low rpms, it handles much better, and with a few mods can click off a mid 13 second pass.

It is definitely not a "fast" car, especially when you look at today's market. However, when it came out, it really was one of the better sports cars you could buy in terms of the whole package. I don't understand why some people are saying it doesn't handle well - that thing handled like it was on rails with some decent tires! Take that with a grain of salt though - I drive an '05 Accord V6 Coupe, and it handles like a big fat boat :)

One thing to note: German cars are expensive to maintain.

ZnusNV

Established Member
November_2005_WinnerLarge.gif

E36 -- Great Car. I have owned one for about 5 months:

The strenghts are how raw it is -- you can feel the E30 heritage in the car. It is quick; I have seen low 14 time slips stock from good drivers. The car is considerably lighter than the E-46 -- they usually weigh in at around 2850.

Anyone who says that that E36 M3 is a *very* "refined" car may be mistaking it for the E-46. The 36 is raw, has a relatively stiff suspension, and "feels" like a track car that can double as a daily driver. The car likes to be pushed. When you are going in excess of 100, you realize it. With the 46, it always feels like you're driving 30 mph slower than what you are.

I went from an S2000 to the 36. The similiarities were more than I had expected.

The 36 is a bit rev happy, but does have sufficient torque through the power band for spirited driving. The 46, on the other hand, is more burly and aggressive with it's acceleration. It's all in what you want though...if you are accustomed to the kick of instant low end grunt, you might be better served paying an extra 8 or 9 grand and picking up and 01 M3. Also, prices are dropping with the E92 right around the corner :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199117

The 36 has nice mod potential, especially if you want to go FI. I haven't ran into a lot of heavily modded 36s though, because many track their cars and worry about added weight and imbalance. That's not to say that I haven't ran into a few 11 second cars though, cause I have.

All in all, it's a great car. Sadly, I'm selling mine. It's time to move on. I have "civility" and quickness in my Acura. plus the car is soo much like my s2k that I don't feel like I'm getting that much of a different driving experience.

It is a great car though! :)

Last edited:

UCBeau

svtcontour said:
Wait you say the E36 is slow and then you tell him to go for an E30?? The E36 was bone stock a 14.20 car (car and driver) and possibly faster with a real driver. The E30 was a low 15 second car. Also if he manages to pick up the 286HP Euro spec model, I'd be willing to bet its not that much slower than his 98 cobra in a straight line and will walk it on the highway.

As far as handling goes, the E36 is a great handler.
the E30 M3 was the best handling M3 ever. if you are even considering an M3 for handling, why get an E36? compared to the E30, it is heavier and underpowered.

Users who are viewing this thread