E-Brake Problem

lilbuddy

Established Member
I just bought a 2001 Cobra and the e-brake is not working. I can barely pull the brake up an inch. I checked the rear brakes and the cable is not routed into the spring mechanism, it stops in the last hole about an inch before the spring. I can't figure out what the problem is why the cable is so tight without getting the car on a lift.

Any help on figuring out what I need to do? I'm not sure if it's connected to the handle correctly, but I assume it is. My wife felt the cable moving when I pulled the brake up.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
It sounds like someone couldn't muscle the cable back to where it goes. Those can be a bit of a booger. Looks for pictures on google of brake setups to see how its supposed to be routed.

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
You need to readjust the brake handle mechanism underneath the console. It's an automatic tensioner adjustment assembly, using a wound coil spring mechanism and gears with teeth. Once you adjust that, you'll easily be able to pull the cable ends back to the calipers where they need to be. It sounds like someone tried to set the brake with the cables disconnected, which really confuses that coil spring/tensioner assembly.

lilbuddy

Established Member
You need to readjust the brake handle mechanism underneath the console. It's an automatic tensioner adjustment assembly, using a wound coil spring mechanism and gears with teeth. Once you adjust that, you'll easily be able to pull the cable ends back to the calipers where they need to be. It sounds like someone tried to set the brake with the cables disconnected, which really confuses that coil spring/tensioner assembly.

Any tips on how to do that? It's also tough too get the whole center console out because of the shift boot. When you can't pull the brake up the boot is a B to get off.

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
Take the cup out from the inside of the armrest of the console. With that gone, you can get a better look at the brake adjusting mechanism.

lilbuddy

Established Member
I've done that before, what part do I need to mess with on the brake to let the tension loose?

Users who are viewing this thread