E-brake dash light

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
Starting yesterday I noticed while driving my e-brake light was on...I thought i was stupid and left the e-brake up but it was all the way down. Today its doing the same thing. It will come on, then turn off then back on throught the driving.

What do you think caused this? Do you think its just because its so cold out?

Thanks for any and all help

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Odds are it's a leaky clutch master cylinder, the clutch shares a reservoir with the brakes so if the master leaks the fluid goes down and the light comes on.

I have them in stock for $41.00 plus shipping, just look directly above the clutch pedal under the dash and see if it's wet or dripping, I bet it is.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
No, that sounds more like worn out brakes.

Severely worn brakes would be one other reason for that light to come on but they usually don't get that far gone before people replace them.

Have the brakes been inspected recently?

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
Yes they were inspected before I got the car. I did check and the clutch master cyl. Is leaking. But I have been getting severe break fade coming down from45-50 mph to the point where it doesn't really feel like I'm on the breaks. I'll tAke a look at the brakes again when it's warmer out to see if that's the case . Thanks for all the help!

Stevarino8

Established Member
I bet it is your emergency brake. Due to the intense cold it may be partially engaged, no? It happened to me and had to replace the e-brake cable and my rear brakes. I really I messed up the rear brakes driving with the e-brake partially engaged. Whew!

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
If the brakes are in good condition you shouldn't be getting any fade, These cars have great brakes and the stockers are even quite adequate for fairly serious track use.

I'd be curious to know what brand brake parts are in it.

tomsgarage

Established Member
Might be a silly question, but did you check to see if your brake fluid level in the master cylinder was between minimum and maximum?

wjrountree

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
Might be a silly question, but did you check to see if your brake fluid level in the master cylinder was between minimum and maximum?

That's not a silly question. If the clutch mastercylinder leaks enough fluid the light comes on. Mine did it until i had it replaced. The light would start flashing under hard acceleration when the fluid was too low because it was shifting and triggering the sensor.

tomsgarage

Established Member
That's not a silly question. If the clutch mastercylinder leaks enough fluid the light comes on. Mine did it until i had it replaced. The light would start flashing under hard acceleration when the fluid was too low because it was shifting and triggering the sensor.

Also, as the pads get closer to the end of their service life, the fluid in the master cylinder will drop due to the pistons in the calipers extending further to compensate for the worn pads. My son's SVT Focus brake light was coming on and we discovered it was not due to a leak, but the fluid getting lower as the pads wear. Checked the pads all around, and they are good but getting to the end of their service life.

snkchmr 1

Good info mine started doing this today. LOL I will start looking at things when it warms up.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Also, as the pads get closer to the end of their service life, the fluid in the master cylinder will drop due to the pistons in the calipers extending further to compensate for the worn pads. My son's SVT Focus brake light was coming on and we discovered it was not due to a leak, but the fluid getting lower as the pads wear. Checked the pads all around, and they are good but getting to the end of their service life.

I've heard of this before (not very often) in various cars. But in my opinion, it's a symptom of something else being off as well.

I say this for two reasons.

First, it isn't a design spec to have the light come on when the pistons are at full extension, your son's were not even all the way out it sounds like. Many car's have pad-wear indicators, (I've had to cut them off of some EBT's I used once), but a low-fluid indication should be below the level of full pad wear.

Second, I, and others I know, have worn pads down to the backing, at the track and on the street (I had a good reason, of course :rolling: ). And we have only extremely rarely gotten a brake light indicating low level.

So I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's unusual enough that I think it's an indicator of maybe another falure or problem as well.

Anybody have any more tech/info on this? I could be wrong, this is just my experience.

snkchmr 1

Mine just needed a little fluid. LOL did a little ice drifting with the e brake & that might have caused my problem.

Users who are viewing this thread