Dynos and Air Fuel

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Ok.. some questions of the smart folks.

To check air fuel ratio while on the dyno one uses a sensor. As I understand it, there are two types. One that screws into a bung (ala the stock 02 sensors) and a wand type that is put in the tail pipe.

From what I have gathered the screw in type is more accurate.

My question. First, I have the Mil eliminators in my car. Second the JDM SuperChip (which I got later) also eliminates the rear 02 sensors.

Would I be able to use the o2 sensor bung from one or both of the rear o2 sensors to install the screw in sensor used with the dyno system. (vice having to dril and weld on another bung)

Anyone have any data on this?

Tks

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
AZ. They have to put in a new bung for the A/F. My car has it 18" after the stock Exhaust Manifold. I have my EGT about 3" before the A/F bung which is 18" right after the Exhaust Port.

Only 25 bucks...well worth it for the Tuner to have it or they cant Tune ur car properly.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
The purpose of putting the wide band o2 in a bung before the cats is cause the cats burn off excess fuel. Most dyno's have setting you can chose and are "sort of" calibrated for each car so that using a tail pipe sniffer is usually "good enough" for tuning. If you dont have cats, which I assume you dont cause you said you have MIL eliminators, then you can use the tail pipe sniffer with no worry of the cats. :)

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Ok...

So what we are saying.. if using a bung and screw in O2 sensor it would do no good to have it after the cats?

Shadow.. I do have the cats on the car. I went with the MIL Elims because on my 01 when I put the Bassani X-pipe on I couldn't keep the CEL from activating. So I was locked and cocked with Mil Elims before I even picked my '03 up. (took the Bassani X-pipe off the '01)

Then when I got the chip one of the features was to disable the rear O2 sensors. (or more probably generate a signal that makes the computer think every thing is hunky dory)

So I was thinking that if the rear O2 sensors are doing little more than "filling the hole" then perhaps I could use that bung for dyno tuning instead of having one added.

:idea:

See what happens when little minds have idle time?

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread