Dynoed Mac Catback

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
I took my 03 cobra with 800 miles to Mustang Magic.
Changed oil..
Then dynoed my 03 with only K&N replacement Filter #0945
1st pull 368.5
2nd pull 371.3
Installed Mac Catback..Took car for a spin and strapped it down..
1st pull 387.3
2nd pull 390.1
Temp was 84 degress 60 hum during 1st 2 pulls and 90 degree 61 Hum when we made the Catback pulls.
Tqe numbers were 361 before and 368.5 after..
The peak tqe was only7,5 increase but it does not drop off after peak ,,15 ft lbs increases at higher RPM's
These numbers are all STD corrected..
no cool down,,no ice, apples to apples comparison.
Next week my friend is going to repeat what i did with FFRP System, It should be good comparison.
I am very pleased with results and the sound of the car..
Jim V.

Jim V.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Sounds great,,no drone..In car at idle and cruise you don't hear much of anything.Leaving Stock cats helps keep it quiet.
Under acceleration it sounds awesome.
I want to keep my warranty so just Catback will do for now..

Jim V.

i8u

Established Member
I too am looking at a cat back. Is yours the 2 1/2 inch or 3 inch? Thanks for doing the comparison!:beer:

[sky]03cobra

Established Member
ive got the same catback, however you're saying that its not that loud? It must be the bassani x-pipe w/cats that s making mine so loud. The combination of the two are very impressive but I've lost all ability to be a "sleeper" at this point. Mine is also the 2.5 x 3.5 mac system and it does have an awesome v8 growl to it.
About a week later I added the K&N FIPK kit and it actually made the system sound just a little more throaty sounding.. overall Im happy w/ the complete system (mac and bassani).

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Originally posted by [sky]03cobra
ive got the same catback, however you're saying that its not that loud? It must be the bassani x-pipe w/cats that s making mine so loud. The combination of the two are very impressive but I've lost all ability to be a "sleeper" at this point. Mine is also the 2.5 x 3.5 mac system and it does have an awesome v8 growl to it.
About a week later I added the K&N FIPK kit and it actually made the system sound just a little more throaty sounding.. overall Im happy w/ the complete system (mac and bassani).

I am sure keeping my stock cats has kept it quiet.it would be interesting to see what you get out of the bassani x pipe.You must have atleast 400+ to the Rear wheels now..

Jim V.

StreetSnake

Established Member
Thanks Jim these are the kind of things we need to make informed decisions. I had been under the impression that there were no gains to be had with just the catback sys. without changing out catted pipe as well so that clears that one up for me. Im glad you're over here on the svt forum I have followed you for a few years over on the corral, you have always been considered a saavy guy over there. and your opinions were always well recieved:beer:

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Jim V - Any chance of attaching a sound clip to this thread? You have the exact exahust setup that I had in mind...

Thanks.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by stangfan
Jim V - Any chance of attaching a sound clip to this thread? You have the exact exahust setup that I had in mind...

Thanks.
Me too. Do they offer the tips in brushed aluminum?

i8u

Established Member
I got my share of ear candy for a awile. Anoter tech had his cobra replica w/ a 508 in it. Ran off 110 octane race gas. Yum. A wild cam... Not to mention 750 at the rear wheel!

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Sorry guys a can't do a sound clip..not really good with this puter.The K&N and removing the silencer should be worth 8 to 10 ,,i have even heard more,however i didn't dyno before yesterday and already had the K&N in there.
I have done my share of R&D with my 99GT.
I enjoy you guys doing it with these new Cobra's.
I will take a back seat but i will share whatever info i get..

Jim V.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Originally posted by StreetSnake
Thanks Jim these are the kind of things we need to make informed decisions. I had been under the impression that there were no gains to be had with just the catback sys. without changing out catted pipe as well so that clears that one up for me. Im glad you're over here on the svt forum I have followed you for a few years over on the corral, you have always been considered a saavy guy over there. and your opinions were always well recieved:beer:

Thank You for the kind words..I try to help out..I love seeing Mustangs go faster then....:rollseyes :rollseyes You know Who...:burnout:

Jim V.:)

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Jim Vaccaro

Thank You for the kind words..I try to help out..I love seeing Mustangs go faster then....:rollseyes :rollseyes You know Who...:burnout:

Jim V.:)
:lol:

CWCobra

Established Member
I cranked up my '03 Cobra with NO cat-back connected: just straight exhaust from the factory H pipe. It was EERILY quiet. My conclusion is that the factory H is where the biggest bottleneck is to be found. At least with respect to sound, anyhow. So for all you guys looking for more aggressive sound, maybe it's best to focus on the replacing the H pipe, rather than the cat=back. Any thoughts?
Later,
CW

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by CWCobra
I cranked up my '03 Cobra with NO cat-back connected: just straight exhaust from the factory H pipe. It was EERILY quiet. My conclusion is that the factory H is where the biggest bottleneck is to be found. At least with respect to sound, anyhow. So for all you guys looking for more aggressive sound, maybe it's best to focus on the replacing the H pipe, rather than the cat=back. Any thoughts?
Later,
CW

Many have done your exact question and liked it???

Users who are viewing this thread