Dyno tuning this saturday... guesses??

mineral03

Established Member
Well, finally made an appointment at my local stang shop, gettin my car dyno tuned. Mods so far are bbk headers, shorty H pipe, and 3" catback, and a cold air. My 3.10 pulley should be here tomorrow, and im tryin to get a 180 deg Tstat before my tune also. Anything else i should definately get before my tune? Any last minute power ideas? i was also gonna yank the plugs and re-gap em to about .040. Anything im missing?? Im hoping for about 460 rwhp, sound about right? Thanks in advance everybody!!!

Goldy

Established Member
I'm assuming you do not have a chip. If you keep the stock pully, I'd say about 420 (+/- 5 hp) at the rear wheels.

With a smaller pulley on the blower, a bunch more.

I dyno'd my '03 last weekend. My numbers were 415.7 hp/382.2 lb-ft of tq (corrected) at the wheels. My performance mods include a Bassani x-pipe w/cats, Bassani catback (both for the '03 Cobra), and a DenseCharger CAI.

Here's a clip of the dyno run: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ssmith512/

click on the "howard 11-16-02.wmv" file.

Another '03 was dyno'd the same day mine was. His was totally stock and put 368 or 369 hp and 368 or 369 lb-ft of tq to the rear wheels (again corrected). I'm 'guestimating' your numbers based on this. Click on the "pitz 11-16-02.wmv" file (same web page) to see his run (a sharp mineral gray convertible/black top).

I'm very, very pleased with my numbers.

Good luck. Be sure to post your numbers.

Howard

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
I dunno, he's gonna have headers, x-pipe, catback, 3.10 pulley, CAI and a dyno tuned chip. In case you didn't read his first sentence, it says he's getting it dyno tuned. That means a custom chip.

I can't see how that will only be 5 more HP than you. He'll have a pulley, headers and a dyno tuned chip :shrug: The chip should be worth 20-30 by itself IMO.

Last edited:

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
With the extra boost, the chip is only going to make it run safer. On the stock setup the chips fatten up the low end and lean out the top end of the RPM range and add a little timing giving a nice performance kick. With the 2.93" pulley.... the first burn on my chip failed to pull enough timing and plenty of detonation was the result. With the second burn, the detonation issue was mostly resolved, but peak power and torque were reduced compared to both the first burn and running with no chip (dangerously lean at low RPM)

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Poison_S
In Fourth Gear I would guess 458 rwHP/rwTQ with those mods***.

***Chip, 3.1 pulley, 3" exhaust system w/X-pipe, headers, and CAI

Hmm that's funny, when I talked to JDM about my setup they estimated I'd be sitting close to 450 RWHP. Check the sig I'm not running a pully or chip. And according to this Corral HP Est. I'm making 440 HP using a vehicle weight of 3900 lbs (I'm no featherweight) and my corrected 112.639 speed. I also know someone on this board with the following setup who had his car dyno'd: JL CAI, JDM flip chip, L pulley, Mac O/R X, Mac 2.5-3 in catback= 493 RWHP/ 527 RWTQ with a bad tune and no LT's. He's over 500 RWHP with a reburn now. So without a chip his guess of 460 RWHP was conservative. 475-480 should be more accurate. 500+ with a chip and tune is my guess.

mineral03

Established Member
Well, mine did 422 rwhp with just the headers,exh, and cold air. Im hoping i can gain at least 40 rwhp from the pulley, and chip, but i guess well see!

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
What CAI are you using, it's not in your sig? Are you using Cats? Your #'s seem low IMO. Have you taken the car to the track for comparison? I'm not trying to be critical just trying to see where the loss may be. Maybe one of these years I'll finally get mine on the dyno. It'd be interesting to see what the real difference is between the BBK and JDM LT's on a modded car.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
What CAI are you using, it's not in your sig? Are you using Cats? Your #'s seem low IMO. Have you taken the car to the track for comparison?
Want to talk about low, look at the stock baseline(dyno 1) on this graph then on dyno 6 with 2.80 pulley UPR CAI, 3" off-road H and catback and Diablo chip. Someone made the suggetion that my numbers (451rwhp/476rwtq) were low because of the 3" exhaust and no cats, needing backpressure and that the lack of it may also have caused me to only see 12lbs vice what should have been 14-14 1/2. I know my chip is tuned a little rich, but I've seen higher number with the same set-up. SoCalBlk03 I'd really like to know your thoughts or any body elses for that matter.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=213906#post213906

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
Someone made the suggetion that my numbers (451rwhp/476rwtq) were low because of the 3" exhaust and no cats, needing backpressure and that the lack of it may also have caused me to only see 12lbs vice what should have been 14-14 1/2. I know my chip is tuned a little rich, but I've seen higher number with the same set-up.

IMO I'd agree with some of the things said in the other post. My experience with exhaust experimenting isn't far off from others will tell you.

I had a '94 GT that I raced every weekend for 6 years. The factory exhaust sucked and I quickly modded. I installed some flowmasters, no big deal, but helped. Swapped to BBK equal length shorty headers, improved. Added a MAC high flow catted H-pipe, better. Added Borla side exhaust , best combo. Swapped to O/R H-pipe, got slower. Ran open header with extenders, slowest combo.

The lesson learned is that you need to have the right balance of backpressure for YOUR setup. IMO a full 3" exhaust isn't warranted unless your running well over 500 RWHP. My current catback is 2.5" with 3" tips, even the H-pipe is 2.5", and there doesn't seem to be a drop off in power. My track speeds are stedily improving. Cats, love 'em or leave'em, you need them. A good set of high flow cats is 1000% better than no cats, you simply need the backpressure.

The boost dropoff is most likely caused by belt slippage. But you'll be able to smell it if it is. Mine's getting a new belt today and I'm still running the factory pully. I simply got a bad belt (it has a run) and it really stinks when it slips. It's made of rubber so you should know what it smells like, also look for glazing on the outside of the belt.

IMO your low baseline dyno was probably cause by 1) bad cats 2)junk settings by your ECU because of #1. My stock times (remember high altitude for me) were 13.009 @ 102. Other stock '03's run 13.3-13.6 @ 104 at the same track. Again IMO this meant I was a slightly better driver of a slightly lower HP car like your was. With my cats replaced in my current setup I'm touching 109. I don't know what my A/F is but I'd imagine my computer is liking the new cats and other mods much better. Although I did trip a SES light once for running lean. I hope this helps somewhat, I'm not some master tuner. I will say this though, I don't alway buy what everyone else does. I try to make the best combo I can. We'll see how it goes. My goal is to have the fastest, non-pullied, non-chipped, non- NO2 car on the board. Who knows maybe someday I'll find the perfect combo, till then.:beer:

mineral03

Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
What CAI are you using, it's not in your sig? Are you using Cats? Your #'s seem low IMO. Have you taken the car to the track for comparison? I'm not trying to be critical just trying to see where the loss may be. Maybe one of these years I'll finally get mine on the dyno. It'd be interesting to see what the real difference is between the BBK and JDM LT's on a modded car.

The CAI im using is my own.. made it myself! I dont think my numbers right now are very low. Mine only did 368 rw stock, so with the headers, off road and catback, i gained 54 rwhp. Not bad in my book . Ive read some people making almost 390 rwhp stock, so i guess it all depends on the car. just got done installing my 3.10 pulley, just waiting now for my tune!!! Cant wait!!!

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
why aren't you going with a smaller pulley? With those headers you could really make some nice numbers.

mineral03

Established Member
Not tryin to go crazy with the boost. I think the 112 blower has pretty much been maxed, by the time you go with a 2.93 pulley. If i want more boost, illl upgrade to a whipple blower later..plus, the power #'s with the 3.10 arent too far off from the L pulley, less belt slip probs,etc etc. we ll see how it goes

Users who are viewing this thread