Dyno School?

MysticDan

Established Member
Does anyone know a place that offers schooling. I searched around alittle and did not come up with much. I might want to purchase a dyno and get me some schooling since there is no place even close to were i live. Thanks for the help

Jaysin

Established Member
Thats one of the only places I've found. You can try sam racing, but thats more of a engine building, cylinder head training, though they do have a dyno. Other places like NADC and UTI have dynos, but I've heard bad things about both, dont want to waste 30k+ for those schools. What exactly are you wanting to do?

MysticDan

Established Member
Just got this crazy idea that i want to start my own dyno shop. The closest place is Anderson ford in Clinton. Ive head they dont know 4v very well. Wonder if most shops mess around when they get them, and thats how they get good at tuning.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I would say find out from the manufacturer of whatever Dyno you buy. My dad owns a machine shop and when he purchased a Sunnen VGS-20 he had a rep from the company give him a one day training on the features and how to use them properly.

Jaysin

Established Member
Just got this crazy idea that i want to start my own dyno shop. The closest place is Anderson ford in Clinton. Ive head they dont know 4v very well. Wonder if most shops mess around when they get them, and thats how they get good at tuning.

My dream is to do the same. Want nothing more than to have my own dyno shop, which is why I know of a few places. Efi University seems like the best option, they come to shops around the u.s., and you can get some good one on one time and some tuning experience. The cost is a bit steep, but I think its better than paying 30k for 1 to 2 yrs worth of school just to be stuck doing repairs at a dealership. Not that theres nothing wrong with that, but for people that want to have a performance based dyno shop, I'll pass on the dealership work. Good luck on your idea/dream. If you figure out something, let me know aswell, im still trying to figure out the best route to take.

:beer:

Robert Francis

Established Member
The dyno manufacturer will show you how to operate the dyno. But if you want to learn how to "tune" engines, thats an entirely separate subject.

The first thing you need to know is the physics of the internal combustion engine. And a couple of years tearing down various engines and successfully troubleshooting engine problems. Then add about 5-10 years racing experience with a variety of engine/transmission combinations and you should be about ready to tune engines for maximun efficiency.

SpectorV

Established Member
they really should make a degree in this as so many have no clue what they are doing and on top of that there are SO many things different from car to car.

Jaysin

Established Member
^ I agree with you. Lots of people own dyno shops that have no business to be around a car in the 1st place. Anything is possible with $ though. Hard trying to get on at a shop without any experience so you can learn what to do. Wish I knew of a way to get started.

Users who are viewing this thread