Dyno #'s a bit confusing...

skulls

Established Member
So I took the whip to the dyno today (mustang dyno)

My car put down 372 back to back...'13 gt: mods are AEM CAI, RTR axlebacks, 1 piece alum. D/S & 3.73's, NO TUNE. None of these I believe make a difference what so ever...I know they say there is about a 18-20% loss on a dynojet and I'm only at about 10% loss on a mustang and ive read that the 3.73's also show a lower power reading...

but there was also a Boss 302 with gt500 axle backs (again they shouldn't make a difference and the boss has the 3.73's same as me) that ran 354 back to back. Then a BONE stock '13 gt and it only put down 318 and 319. So are those motors on the weaker side?

All cars had cooled down for a considerable amount of time and temp and elements were the same during the pulls.

I know that a dyno is a just a tool...but it does show a variation in power numbers. Also, the dyno was spot on with others that had dyno's at different shops...also the numbers were consistent on all back to back pulls with the same car..so I don't think it needed to be calibrated.

So is there that much variance in motors or could these mods actually make an improvement?

FIVEHOE

Established Member
That's weird. I remember reading not too long ago how someone was saying their coyote felt underpowered. I think he said it dynod below 350 and he would lose to stock camaros, not sure if true or what.

prn1972

Established Member
My tuner uses a Mustang Dyno. Mustang Dyno's are load bearing dyno's. Which mean they input the weight of the car & it puts a load on the drums. This simulates the car pulling its own weight. Just like it was driving down the street. So most Mustang dyno's read 12-15% lower than a Dynojet.

Most Dynojets have no load on them. So you are just spinning the drums with no resistance. Hince the higher numbers.

My buddies stock 13 Boss put down 361 on a Mustang dyno. So that Boss seems spot on. The GT seems a little low but not that much, might just be a weak motor. Your car look pretty strong with just the mods you have : )

Remember, just add 12-15% to your number to figure what you would put down on a Dynojet.

skulls

Established Member
My tuner uses a Mustang Dyno. Mustang Dyno's are load bearing dyno's. Which mean they input the weight of the car & it puts a load on the drums. This simulates the car pulling its own weight. Just like it was driving down the street. So most Mustang dyno's read 12-15% lower than a Dynojet.

Most Dynojets have no load on them. So you are just spinning the drums with no resistance. Hince the higher numbers.

My buddies stock 13 Boss put down 361 on a Mustang dyno. So that Boss seems spot on. The GT seems a little low but not that much, might just be a weak motor. Your car look pretty strong with just the mods you have : )

Remember, just add 12-15% to your number to figure what you would put down on a Dynojet.
That is good to know...thank you for the confirmation.

Voltwings

Established Member
Dynojets do have load, they just use a standard 5000 lb roller, thats why the numbers are typically more consistant across the board.

Was the GT that put down the really low numbers brand new? if the motor isnt fully broken in yet with a good piston ring seal, it could explain being a little lower on power. Was it an auto? That will cause it to read lower than the Boss and your car if they're both stick as well.

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
yeah numbers are pretty close. My bone stock 13 GT laid down in a 4th gear pull 368 hp. times 12% loss (average 10-15%) that would be 324... 4th gear pull because I was still on my T rated winters....

skulls

Established Member
Dynojets do have load, they just use a standard 5000 lb roller, thats why the numbers are typically more consistant across the board.

Was the GT that put down the really low numbers brand new? if the motor isnt fully broken in yet with a good piston ring seal, it could explain being a little lower on power. Was it an auto? That will cause it to read lower than the Boss and your car if they're both stick as well.
Nope all had 13-15k miles on the clock.

prn1972

Established Member

I was just trying to simplify it, but yes dynojets have 5000lb drums. The MD drums has mass or weight too, what do they weigh Idk. But obviously their weight plus the load added is more than a Dynojet hince the lower numbers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread