Dyno results..........baffles out?

DA BOSS 13

Established Member
Is there any data out there to support a HP/torque increase with the side baffles out?
I took mine out yesterday, I previously had 1" orifices in the pipes. My "BUTT DYNO" felt like I had lost torque slightly. Anyone do a before and after dyno run, plates in and out?

RTD

Established Member
I saw one magazine test that showed a ~3 hp gain with them out, but that's within the error range of the dyno. Certainly not something you're going to notice on the butt dyno or the 1/4 mile timeslip.

mtrsprt

Established Member
A 10% HP increase/decrease is needed to be able to FEEL power differences usually.

I don't think removing restrictor plates will hinder TQ. The largest amount of back pressure in the Boss system is from the Catalytic converters, then the mufflers.

BSG Boss

Established Member
I did not see a gain or loss in the hp or tq area's at all when I removed them!! It just sounds cooler!! made 382/362 on the dyno with around 5000 miles on it!!

DA BOSS 13

Established Member
I agree about the tone. I'm not so sure how it will be when I drive the BOSS 10 hrs to CT to see family this Summer. It drones pretty good when pulling grades on the interstate. I stopped at my neighbors to chat, I was driving the BOSS, he said it sounded great coming down the road, not obnoxious in the least. So at this point they stay out. I did make my own gaskets out of a Fel-Pro metal backed exhaust manifold gasket material, and everything is nice and quiet. I do have a part number for the sheet of material if anyone is interested. I'm not impressed with the factory gaskets, I'll guarantee they will leak after repeated removals. This material compresses nicely and is pretty rugged. I used the orifice plate as a template.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I have had lots of performance cars over the years... With the plates out the car sounds great!!! No drone at all compared to most after market cat-backs. I was worried it would be to loud with them out so I bought plates with a 1/2 inch opening... Well it was a waste of money. It's perfect for a car like this. As far as the pipes leaking.. they will it is almost impossible to put them back together just right. But I used some liquid gasket and sealed them up perfect.

Last edited:

BSG Boss

Established Member
I road around like that for a while and it wasn't to loud for me. I also now have LT headers, no cats,and Borla's and it is still really quiet compared to my Cammed LS3 and 08 Roush that had a Bassani cat delete and their race mufflers!!

Users who are viewing this thread