Dyno numbers

vols fan

Established Member
Hey guys got the Mach dynoed today after all the mods. Best numbers were 331hp and 334tq standard (324hp and 327tq corrected). I was very happy with these numbers. The A/F was just a touch lean (13:1) but other than that it was a great pull. My mods are Steeda CAI, Accufab TB, 1/2" intake spacer, 98 Cobra cams, BBK LT's with matching O/R h pipe and weld in flowmasters. What do you guys think of these numbers on the stock tune? After I upgrade my fuel system, get my 4:10's in and hook up the NOS I'll be heading back for a tune and a switch chip.

PCPRO

Big Daddy
Established Member
Realize your dyno numbers will drop some when the 4.10' are installed. Really, really good Travis, considering your mods. Throw in a ported short runner from Todd,Naz, or Roy..... & also get a Stewart water pump or Meziere electric pump and you will be cooking with grease. Congrats on the '98 Cobra cam swap......IMO one of the best "bang for the buck" upgrades out there for a Mach!

BM1

Established Member
What made you do 98 Cobra cams over something like Crower stage 2 or 3s?

Nineonesix

Established Member
Whats this about cobra cams? How much was it to change out, do they keep the car smog legal over here in kalifornia?

vols fan

Established Member
Yes Cobra cams would keep you legal. They are the most aggressive factory cams. You will see 15-20 rwhp just by bolting them in. The install is not bad just takes awhile to get the drivers side valve cover off. Nor Cal Mach to answer your question I'm not sure what the difference would be, I'm sure it would be a noticable difference. Your numbers are pretty good without a cam swap. Are those numbers standard or corrected?

Nor Cal Mach

I love this AMERICAN RIDE
Established Member
Yes Cobra cams would keep you legal. They are the most aggressive factory cams. You will see 15-20 rwhp just by bolting them in. The install is not bad just takes awhile to get the drivers side valve cover off. Nor Cal Mach to answer your question I'm not sure what the difference would be, I'm sure it would be a noticable difference. Your numbers are pretty good without a cam swap. Are those numbers standard or corrected?

They are standard. How much roughly are cobra cams going for and can they be self installed?

vols fan

Established Member
If you can find them they go for $100-$150. They are getting harder to find. They can be self installed but you have to pay anttention and take your time. PCPRO did his in 4 hours and it took me a little over 6 hours. The worst part is getting the drivers side valve cover off, the hydroboost is right in the way. You don't change the exhaust side just the intake side.

Nineonesix

Established Member
If you can find them they go for $100-$150. They are getting harder to find. They can be self installed but you have to pay anttention and take your time. PCPRO did his in 4 hours and it took me a little over 6 hours. The worst part is getting the drivers side valve cover off, the hydroboost is right in the way. You don't change the exhaust side just the intake side.

Hmm. 15-20hp and smog legal...Damn. Im am really tempted, but theres no way in hell I would be able to do that myself. Wheres the best place to get the cams? Are there any downside to using used cams? Im guessing we dont need a tune once they are put in. I have an auto also if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

vols fan

Established Member
Well I'm telling you know if you don't think you can do it yourself you may be in trouble. Most shops are going to overcharge for doing this job. In the book it calls for 4 hours just to change valve covers. I would do some checking before I when and ordered some. As far as where to get them just watch the for sale sections of the Stang websites. I wouldn't say there are downsides but you will need a tune to get the best performance out of them. You do not HAVE to have a tune but it helps. Stick and auto should not make a difference.

Nineonesix

Established Member
Well I'm telling you know if you don't think you can do it yourself you may be in trouble. Most shops are going to overcharge for doing this job. In the book it calls for 4 hours just to change valve covers. I would do some checking before I when and ordered some. As far as where to get them just watch the for sale sections of the Stang websites. I wouldn't say there are downsides but you will need a tune to get the best performance out of them. You do not HAVE to have a tune but it helps. Stick and auto should not make a difference.

Yea, ill call around and ask just what the price is going to be. Now if I were able to get it done for a reasonable amount, what all is needed. Is it an exact swap so springs or anything?

Users who are viewing this thread