Dyno Guesses

sstang

Established Member
My brother just did a few mods on his '03 L, but it will be a few weeks before he goes to dyno it. I was wondering what you guys would guess his rwhp and rwtq would be? His mods consist of a C&L intake w/ AEM filter and 95mm MAF, Accufab TB, C&L plenum, 6lb. crank pulley, Accel coils, and NGK TR6 plugs, and canned Predator tune from RPM Outlet.

Also, how much do you guys think a dyno tune will add on top of that? Thanks for any help.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
I personally wouldn't run a canned tune with a 6lber.. Wait for the dyno.
Dyno Tune 395-405rwhp to 490-500rwtq. Maybe less if on a mustang dyno.

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
That's almost the exact same mods I had when I blew my motor on the canned Predator pulley tune. Now I'm at 486/600.

sstang

Established Member
What mods do you have now Dr. Matt? He got the "E" kit from RPM Outlet + a C&L intake w/ MAF. His truck seems to be a little faster, but not a whole lot (definitely not as fast as we thought it would be). We are getting ready to put on a boost gauge to see what he is hitting.

How far should he push his stock shortblock? Next he is upgrading the fuel pump and injectors (what is the stock size btw?). Then he is going to continue his modding to push the limit of safety on the stock rods and pistons.

OldTimer

An Old Drag Racer
Established Member
As noted by others, be careful with a canned tune and a 6# lower. Once he gets to the tuner, everything can be tweaked to optimize HP/Torque/Mods. And as many will tell you, you're flirting with the stock lower end going KaBoom at around 475RWHP. That's a helluva nice bundle, but you didn't list a CAI (is it the elbow or a CAI?) or exhaust system upgrade which might help a little.

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
Accel coils

Why do people with minor bolt-ons insist on changing the coil packs? Personally, I would stick with the factory coil packs, many people would agree that you will find more problems than solutions with aftermarket coils.

Like stated before, canned tune on a 6#er equals potential disaster... Just don't push it too hard until you get a dyno tune.

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
What mods do you have now Dr. Matt? He got the "E" kit from RPM Outlet + a C&L intake w/ MAF. His truck seems to be a little faster, but not a whole lot (definitely not as fast as we thought it would be). We are getting ready to put on a boost gauge to see what he is hitting.

How far should he push his stock shortblock? Next he is upgrading the fuel pump and injectors (what is the stock size btw?). Then he is going to continue his modding to push the limit of safety on the stock rods and pistons.

As far as how far to push it I am not the expert, mine blew 10 miles after installing the RPM outlet E kit and Canned Predator tune. Stock injectors are 42#.

My mods are:
DMP fully built longblock w/stage 3 heads, stage 2 cams,
Walbros, 60# inj, ported lower intake, ported Eaton, C&L plenum, Accufab TB, AEM intake, MAfia, Metco aux idlers, 10# lower, E-fans, Afco H-E w/fans, SD tranny cooler, FTVB, BBK headers, 3" catless dual exh, L & S oil seperator.

sstang

Established Member
Why do people with minor bolt-ons insist on changing the coil packs?

He didn't insist on changing them, they came with the kit!

As noted by others, be careful with a canned tune and a 6# lower.

Is it the a/f ratio or what that causes the biggest threat? His next plans were to add a new fuel pump, injectors, catted midpipe, and cat-back.

That's a helluva nice bundle, but you didn't list a CAI (is it the elbow or a CAI?)

The E Kit comes with a TB and plenum, but he also bought a C&L intake that comes with an AEM dry filter and a 95mm MAF.

So right now the only guess I have seen is around 400 rwhp. Is that it? I thought these motors did better. Is it because they are 2 valves? I would think a cobra would be making much better numbers with the same mods.

Last edited:

ecoastkid

Established Member
Dr. Matt...which canned tune were you using?..and what version of the tuning device?

I was using the 93 oct canned pred tune (latest revision) with my 4#'r and it was stupidly rich...I think a 6#'r would have been fine...

Not saying its a good substitue for a dyno tune....just that I dont think its as unsafe as it used to be.

sstang...you need to data log (w/ the pred) the maf voltage to see if your approahing 5 volts...also...I noticed you said he bought a 95mm maf. I wouldnt even put that on until the tune...adjustments that are not in the canned tune need to be made for that.

boost00

Established Member
you should pick up a noticeable amount in power by getting a real tune over that crap canned tune you have now. with a good tune id say about 400/500 give or take a few

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
So right now the only guess I have seen is around 400 rwhp. Is that it? I thought these motors did better. Is it because they are 2 valves? I would think a cobra would be making much better numbers with the same mods.[/QUOTE]

That's a 40hp gain when the only thing you did was bolt on a pulley...the rest of the crap is worthless.

Users who are viewing this thread