DWI, speeding in Baltimore. I'm an idiot...advice?!?

MaCaNs

Filth, Flarn, Filth
Established Member
Yes it happened. I rarley drink, let alone drink and drive my 04 Cobra, but after our company x-mas party I was driving on 695 here in Baltimore, when this person decided to switch to the fast lane going about 50mph. Not happy that I had to hit my brakes for a 2nd, I passed them on their right and gunned it by her. I hit the gas for about 2-3 second then came back down to speed. But that was enough, a state trooper was about 100 yards behind me, and got me. 100mph, in a 55mph zone. I knew I was in trouble, he smelled alcohol, and I didn't lie, told him I had a few, and that was that. Hancuffed and driven away. I have not had a ticket in 11-12 years, and never had a DWI in my life. I'm 33 years old, and have a 10 week old son.....

I'm so mad at myself, as you can imagine. :fm: I guess getting mad at another driver and having a 400+HP car took its toll. :bash:

I took a breath test and failed....I blew a .17. I called my lawyer the next morning, and he told me to enroll in an AA class, which I did, and will be attending for the next 12 weeks. He told me that he has never had a client go to jail for his first offense. Thats releaving in a way, but I'm still devastated.

Does anyone have any other advice on what I could do to help the situation? My license was taken, and I have to go to MVA court in a few weeks. Any advice would help. Thanks.

p.s. I have friends who still drink and drive all the time and never get caught. Figures, I rarley drink, let alone drive and BAM....busted....

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Since you already have an attorney, I would suggest not posting any additional information here. Just follow his advice and learn from the experience.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Yes it happened. I rarley drink, let alone drink and drive my 04 Cobra, but after our company x-mas party I was driving on 695 here in Baltimore, when this person decided to switch to the fast lane going about 50mph. Not happy that I had to hit my brakes for a 2nd, I passed them on their right and gunned it by her. I hit the gas for about 2-3 second then came back down to speed. But that was enough, a state trooper was about 100 yards behind me, and got me. 100mph, in a 55mph zone. I knew I was in trouble, he smelled alcohol, and I didn't lie, told him I had a few, and that was that. Hancuffed and driven away. I have not had a ticket in 11-12 years, and never had a DWI in my life. I'm 33 years old, and have a 10 week old son.....

I'm so mad at myself, as you can imagine. :fm: I guess getting mad at another driver and having a 400+HP car took its toll. :bash:

I took a breath test and failed....I blew a .17. I called my lawyer the next morning, and he told me to enroll in an AA class, which I did, and will be attending for the next 12 weeks. He told me that he has never had a client go to jail for his first offense. Thats releaving in a way, but I'm still devastated.

Does anyone have any other advice on what I could do to help the situation? My license was taken, and I have to go to MVA court in a few weeks. Any advice would help. Thanks.

p.s. I have friends who still drink and drive all the time and never get caught. Figures, I rarley drink, let alone drive and BAM....busted....

First off, your friends who drink and drive are idiots. Second, you have an attorney, follow his advice to the letter. Do not substitute any advice received here for his advice. It is rare, attorney or not to receive jail time for a first DUI, unless you are a major tool. But considering you were more than twice the legal limit, you are done. Your attorney should work to mitigate the effects.

Maybe next time you drink you will think of your son before you drive, or more importantly the son of the innocent people sharing the road with your drunk ass.

Juruense

Banned
In my opinion you will lose your license for between 3 and 12 months and have a substantial fine. I seriously doubt you will do any jail time. Good luck man, we all make mistakes and some of us have made this same one. I hope your wife does not rake you over the coals too bad. My guess is she will make you regret it more than the legal system will...

Also, you insurance will substantially increase. You may even have to get assigned risk or SR-22 operator's coverage.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
just so you know i was hit in june by a drunk driver yea im ok..could have been worse.

but it was her first time getting a DWI and she wasnt nearly double the speed limit. but ran a red light.

but she spent 5 days in jail.

slash

Established Member
Maybe next time you drink you will think of your son before you drive, or more importantly the son of the innocent people sharing the road with your drunk ass.

+ a billion.

not to sound like an ass, i have 2 small kids and see ass****s driving like its the fuggin indy 500 on the eway all the time. god forbid i get hit and my kids get hurt and i can walk away...

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
You are in MD. you were MORE than twice the legal limit and twice the speed limit ... better get your affairs in order, you have little chance of surviving unscathed.

acording to one Maryland Law Firms website:

Maryland DUI (driving under the influence) consequences include a minimum driver's license suspension of 45 days, and punishment of up to $1,000.00 and one year in jail for a first offense DUI, and $2,000.00 and two years in jail for a second offense DUI. A Maryland DUI conviction will result in 12 points on the Maryland Driver's License record.

you will be kicking yourself in the arse for several years before this gets off your record. Maryland has gotten harsher in their treatment of DUI and DWI.

JJPMach1

Red 2003 Mach 1
Established Member
Total cost by the time this is all over, fines & insurance surcharges over the years will be $10,000 plus.

That is what it cost a friend of mine 13 years ago, in NJ, when it happened to him. It is a BIG money maker for the state and they only keep increasing the fines.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Total cost by the time this is all over, fines & insurance surcharges over the years will be $10,000 plus.

That is what it cost a friend of mine 13 years ago, in NJ, when it happened to him. It is a BIG money maker for the state and they only keep increasing the fines.

So you think the state is jacking up the fines simply to put money in their coffers? That is what it sounds like you're saying.

States do not look at this as a "money maker". The fines continue to be raised because people don't learn. I submit they won't learn until the courts really get behind the lawmakers and quit letting even first time offenders off with a slap on the wrist.

Im my opinion a 20K dollar fine 30 days in jail and loss of drivers license for a YEAR for first time offenders is not unreasonable. first time offenders would be able to get a permit to drive to and from work and no place else for that year. if caught driving during that time to someplace other than work it gets extended for another year.

2nd offenders would get double the fine, 1 year in jail and no license until the fine is paid in full and would be ineligible for a "drive to work permit".

3rd time loses triples the fine, 3 years in jail, and no license FOR LIFE and if caught driving again it would be an additional 5 years in the pokey.

Killing or maiming a third party during a DUI incident is 15 to 20 years in the pokey ...

Judges would NOT have discretion in the sentence. Written in stone. if you do the crime you do the time period.

JJPMach1

Red 2003 Mach 1
Established Member
I agree with ya, They keep upping the fines to deter people from drinking & driving. Hell I think about the consequences every time I go out with buddies.

But you still have stupid people out there that do not think of the consequences, hence the "Money Maker" term used.

I think 1st offense should be in the $50,000 Range. Back in the day when I started driving, I had surcharges up the wazoo for points, I ended up paying 3x's my original insurance rate from when I started driving, That lasted for 3 years. I learned.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Forget the fines, as that is unequal punishment. A wealthy person is not affected, while a poor person is devastated. DUI, should be a 3rd or 4th degree felony. That way everyone is punished equally and commensurate with their crime and potential societal harm.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member

My buddy got one 2 years ago on 95 just south of the FT McHenry Tunnel. Went to AA right away for a 12 week program as well. It was his first offense and he never even lost his license over it. He got caught due to a flat tire. The MD DOT truck came to his rescue and ended up calling the Transportation Authority on him.

A bunch of fines, lawyers fees and it's a thing of the past. It did not cost him anywhere near 10K

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Forget the fines, as that is unequal punishment. A wealthy person is not affected, while a poor person is devastated. DUI, should be a 3rd or 4th degree felony. That way everyone is punished equally and commensurate with their crime and potential societal harm.

so say ... first offense 3rd degree felony
2nd offense 2nd degree felony
3rd offense 1st degree felony
4th offense capitol crime?

that would work for me as long as the jail time and time without a license stayed in place LOL

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator

I like that idea.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
so say ... first offense 3rd degree felony
2nd offense 2nd degree felony
3rd offense 1st degree felony
4th offense capitol crime?

that would work for me as long as the jail time and time without a license stayed in place LOL

Of course the license restrictions would be in place since a drivers license if a privilege and not a right.

cannibalWS6

Established Member
Like I need to say it, but should not have been behind the wheel! Its plain and simple to me...if you have a drink, don't drive. Drinking and power can go to your head.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
My buddy got one 2 years ago on 95 just south of the FT McHenry Tunnel. Went to AA right away for a 12 week program as well. It was his first offense and he never even lost his license over it. He got caught due to a flat tire. The MD DOT truck came to his rescue and ended up calling the Transportation Authority on him.

A bunch of fines, lawyers fees and it's a thing of the past. It did not cost him anywhere near 10K

Lets see .. you don't post up your buddies breath test but I would wager is was not twice the legal limit ...

Your buddy was caught changing a flat tire, this clown was doing twice the speed limit.

yeah those circumstances are certainly the same .. no doubt about it ..

and how much did your "buddy"'s insurance go up per year .. and don't even try to say it didn't .... there are a ton of hidden costs that you are not including in his "nowhere near 10K"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread