DUW: IRS bushing install with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darcsun

Established Member
Yea, great write up... after seeing it... I'm thinking a shoppe is gonna do this job for me. I'll be sure to forward the link to em!

marcseidler

Can I change the diff bushings with the car on drive on ramps? If so can I remove the cross brace and do it easily? If not where should I place the jack stands and do I need to support the diff?

octane

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Excellent write up. I plan on installing the bushings on my car sometime this week. Now I have a good idea of what I am up against.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
I did that too, one thing I would suggest it getting a gear puller to press the bushing in and out. Without a lift and disconnecting the shocks, I didnt have the clearance to put the c-clamps in there and the gear puller method worked REALLY well. the 1st bushing took me all afternoon. the rest took 15min each after I got the gear puller

BillyMac72

Torco Junkie
Established Member
thank god this thread is still on here i just started this project today im sure ill need it again before im done lol
thanks for all the good pics too

SlowSVT

Established Member
Great article. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

This looks like a big job. How long did it take from start to finish?

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
I actually saved this article and formatted it on my hard drive in Word, with the pictures. Now I have it for the (unlikely event of my) IRS bushing change. :D

SVT4ME

Established Member
All Props bro-awesome right up, I love this site because of people like you!

Fuerza

Established Member
That is an excellent write up, its very informative.

I've got another question. after seeing how much work goes into swapping bushings I'm going to pay someone to do it.

What would it cost to have the following installed?

MM subframe bushings
MM control arm bushings
Delrin control arm bushings

BillyMac72

Torco Junkie
Established Member
Originally posted by OrangeSvtCobra
That is an excellent write up, its very informative.

I've got another question. after seeing how much work goes into swapping bushings I'm going to pay someone to do it.

What would it cost to have the following installed?

MM subframe bushings
MM control arm bushings
Delrin control arm bushings
well i was told 6 hours just for the subframe bushings when i had the subframe connectors installed
i didnt feel like paying somone else to do what i can do my self
so im sure it would be alot to get all that installed

fusion_ta66

Established Member
Just wanted to reply to this. I just did this mod and for me, it was easiest by far to remove the bushings using the following method:

1) Drill the holes around the crush sleeve, walk the bit around as much as possible, but not necessary to go all the way around.

2) Use a sawzall with a ~4 inch or so wood blade (coarse teeth). It's a little hard at first, but as soon as it starts to open up, you can run the sawzall all the way around in 1 or 2 motions and then just yank the crush sleeve out.

I tried the coping saw method, didn't work that good for me. With the sawzall, it took about 3 minutes to have the crush sleeves out. All the time was spent getting the residual rubber out with a screwdriver and wire wheel.

Thanks for the great write up.

Joe

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
The easiest way to remove the IRS bushings is to use a piece of pipe that fits over the subframe, but the bushing can slide into. Get a bolt and some washers. Heat the subframe around the area of the bushing. Use an impact wrench if you have one, and squeeze out the bushing. I did all the bushings on my car front and back, and the subframe bushings were the EASIEST with the use of a little heat. We are not talking about tons of heat, just enough to get them to smoke a bit.

With heat and an impact wrench, the bushings should slide out very quickly and the cleanup is minimal.

Just my 2 cents.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
The pics are down right now..

So the differential bushings can be done WITHOUT removing the halfshafts?

wjfawb0

Established Member
The site where I was hosting the pics is gone. I have the pictures still, but htey are in a very large format that I would have to edit again. I'll try to get to it sometime soon. Sorry.

I only installed the front differential bushings. I put in the steeda red poly bushings. I actually have busted one of them, so I will be replacing them sometime in the future. Replacing the rear bushing where the diff. connects to the IRS subframe is a lot more involved. I've found it easier to remove the pumpkin for that install (did it on a friend's 03 Cobra). I have heard comments that having mismatched front and rear diff. bushings can cause cracking the of the cover, but I haven't had that problem on my car. I also have my billetflow IRS cover brace installed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread