DUW: IRS bushing install with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
wjfawb0 said:
The site where I was hosting the pics is gone. I have the pictures still, but htey are in a very large format that I would have to edit again. I'll try to get to it sometime soon. Sorry.

I only installed the front differential bushings. I put in the steeda red poly bushings. I actually have busted one of them, so I will be replacing them sometime in the future. Replacing the rear bushing where the diff. connects to the IRS subframe is a lot more involved. I've found it easier to remove the pumpkin for that install (did it on a friend's 03 Cobra). I have heard comments that having mismatched front and rear diff. bushings can cause cracking the of the cover, but I haven't had that problem on my car. I also have my billetflow IRS cover brace installed too.

How long roughly does it take to pull the pumpkin? I know I'm capable of it, but am worried that what I think might be an easy project turns out to be 2 days worth lol. :pepper:

SpectorV

Established Member
I want to get under mine and start looking around, see if I want to tackle the bushing install.... see if you can get those pics back up.

wjfawb0

Established Member
I'm going to start on getting the pics back up now.... Sorry about the delay. For anyone looking to do the bushings now, I've dropped at least 3 IRS's totally out of cobras in the last few months. It's very easy to completely disconnect the IRS from the car and slide it out from under to do the bushings in the subframes, lower/upper control arm bushings, pumpkin bushings (front and rear) and an IRS cover brace at the same time. I'll get to work now.

wjfawb0

Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
How long roughly does it take to pull the pumpkin? I know I'm capable of it, but am worried that what I think might be an easy project turns out to be 2 days worth lol. :pepper:

To pull the pumpkin you'd need to have the car in the air off the rear wheels with jack stands or a lift. You have to remove the wheels, loosen the spindles form the bottom and swing them out and up to get the axles out of the pumpkin. You then have to disconnect the driveshaft (fun), abs sensors from the pumpkin, cross member brace bolts (4 in total) and then the rear bolt for the rear bushing. It should drop out pretty easily after that. There is a web page with instructions out there. I'll have to look for it...

PICTURES ARE BACK UP NOW!!!

wjfawb0

Established Member
Yates...Man said:
Let me guess you work for WD-40 don't you. J/K

And remember folks, apply WD-40 liberally during all steps of this procedure. :thumbsup:

wjfawb0

Established Member
I'd like add if I haven't already that dropping the entire IRS out of the car isn't so bad. I've done it on three cobras, putting the IRS back in two of them and a solid axle in the third. The hardest part of the whole procedure is getting the MM poly bushings to line up and slide back onto the rear brackets where the rear of the IRS subframe connects to the frame. Everytime I've pulled and IRS and put one back in all I needed was about three decent floor jacks and two to four jackstands. If you're going to pull your IRS out for subframe bushings, I would recommend just disconnecting the IRS totally, pull it out and do the poly subframe bushings, delrin upper and lower control arm bushings and aluminum/delrin pumpkin bushings all at the same time.

Things to disconnect to drop IRS:

4 IRS subframe bolts

Brake calipers from bracket (just hang them from the frame with zip ties)

Brake line clamps from upper control arms

Parking brake cable baracket form lower control arm (small screw)

Parking brake cables from calipers (c-clip, use needle nose plier for clip and channel locks to compress the lever on the caliper, easier with two people)

ABS sensor wires from pumpkin and the 4 to 6 plastic clips holding the cables to the subframe

4 driveshaft bolts (hard to get to, usually use two box end wrenches, stacking them to get a long enough effort arm, 12-point bolts, driveshaft can be held using zip ties or string using empty solid axle exhaust hanger locations)

I beleive that is all that connects the car to the IRS. It only takes about an hour or two to pull the IRS out and put it back in if you have the tools right there that you need (sockets, wrnches, jacks, stands). Two out of the three times I have done it was on a garage floor with the car on jack stands. Make sure to put stops under the front wheels as the car can roll on an uneven surface. I hope this helps.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
wjfawb0,

Would it be possible to unbolt only the rear bolts of the IRS subframe, and lower it enough (shocks unbolted) to where the duff bushings and a diff brace could be easily installed?

Bluedot_26

This Space For Rent
Established Member
Thanks for the tips.

Has anyone used the tool that MM sells to remove / replace the poly bushings ?

wjfawb0

Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
wjfawb0,

Would it be possible to unbolt only the rear bolts of the IRS subframe, and lower it enough (shocks unbolted) to where the duff bushings and a diff brace could be easily installed?

You can install the IRS cover brace without dropping the IRS. A little tight but it can be done with the right hand tools. I totally pulled out the pumpkin when I installed the rear diff bushing. You can probably get to it without dropping the IRS totally, but I haven't done it before. If you move the pumpkin around too much I'm not sure when the halfshafts and all will start to bind you up. When you pull the pumpkin the job gets a lot bigger. You have to disconnect the spindle son the bottom, pull out the shafts from the diff. and lots of other good stuff.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
wjfawb0 said:
You can install the IRS cover brace without dropping the IRS. A little tight but it can be done with the right hand tools. I totally pulled out the pumpkin when I installed the rear diff bushing. You can probably get to it without dropping the IRS totally, but I haven't done it before. If you move the pumpkin around too much I'm not sure when the halfshafts and all will start to bind you up. When you pull the pumpkin the job gets a lot bigger. You have to disconnect the spindle son the bottom, pull out the shafts from the diff. and lots of other good stuff.

Well I figured maybe dropping the IRS in the rear would help me get around the bolts for the brace better. I hear a lot of people talking about not being able to fit a torque wrench in there and I don't want to go by the 'hand tight' theory.

I also want to be able to access the rear diff mount for the swap to aluminum. But if it can be done with the IRS and pumpkin in place I guess I'll have to give it a shot? :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread