Duty Belt, Holster, Accessories, etc. (LEO Only)

bandit_48032

Established Member
I'm gonna need to buy my duty belt and everything needed for it within the near future...I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or feedback. There are so many choices out there, any help would be great.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Check with your department as I am sure they will have recommendations if not requirements. I know they will have requirements on the level of holster you must get.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
I was issued Safariland leather gear and have always loved it. I have no other gear to base a real opinion. But I must say I have no problems with it and it wears nice and comfortable.

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
type911 said:
I was issued Safariland leather gear and have always loved it. I have no other gear to base a real opinion. But I must say I have no problems with it and it wears nice and comfortable.

Same here.. Altough, our bike cops get issued lighter weight nylon belts.. I hear those are really nice..

The leather is OK but the stuff really gets heavy after a while.. Although, I carry alot of equipment.. Even my long wooden batton like coppers used to wear back in the old days.. When I enter a room w/ that on my side its funny to watch how everyones eyes focus on it..

I'd be suprised if your department doesn't issue you a belt..

bandit_48032

Established Member
Mt Twigbert said:
Same here.. Altough, our bike cops get issued lighter weight nylon belts.. I hear those are really nice..

The leather is OK but the stuff really gets heavy after a while.. Although, I carry alot of equipment.. Even my long wooden batton like coppers used to wear back in the old days.. When I enter a room w/ that on my side its funny to watch how everyones eyes focus on it..

I'd be surprised if your department doesn't issue you a belt..

haha, thats great! You barely see anyone carry the old school batons anymore. I could defintially see how a lot of people would focus their attention on it....

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
I sport all Bianchi AccuMold gear minus my holster. I currently have a safariland SLS6280 and like it. However, Im going to go to a Bianchi 7945 because I want the extra "jacket slot" that the Bianchi Offers and I refuse to take the M3 light off my gun. The SafariLand says it's a "jacket slot" but it does not provide much room for a jacket.

As far as other gear, I would suggest that you get handcuff cases that have a closed top, and are not "double". The double case pouches sit funny when your in the car and pulling out both sets when you only want one is never a good thing. Also, get a light that will fit on your belt. I have an Inova T4. The first 300 times someone goes running from a car on you, the last thing you are going to do is grab your flashlight.

bandit_48032

Established Member
Lawfficer said:
I sport all Bianchi AccuMold gear minus my holster. I currently have a safariland SLS6280 and like it. However, Im going to go to a Bianchi 7945 because I want the extra "jacket slot" that the Bianchi Offers and I refuse to take the M3 light off my gun. The SafariLand says it's a "jacket slot" but it does not provide much room for a jacket.

As far as other gear, I would suggest that you get handcuff cases that have a closed top, and are not "double". The double case pouches sit funny when your in the car and pulling out both sets when you only want one is never a good thing. Also, get a light that will fit on your belt. I have an Inova T4. The first 300 times someone goes running from a car on you, the last thing you are going to do is grab your flashlight.

great info, thanks!

I see a lot of cases without a closed top for smaller flashlights and batons....would you recommend a closed top for those as well? How about radio holders?

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
bandit_48032 said:
great info, thanks!

I see a lot of cases without a closed top for smaller flashlights and batons....would you recommend a closed top for those as well? How about radio holders?

No. I have open top for my Expandable Baton and a LP340 flashlight holder. It says it's for a Streamlight stinger, but it works real well with the Inova T4 and Surefire G2. The reason the baton being open top is grab-ability. When you need it, your going to need it plus it's so freaking heavy that unless you do cartwheels up to your traffic stops, it's not going anywhere. Actually, I would look into a semi-open bottom Baton holder, I have to collapse mine inorder to put it away but there are ones on the market now that will take one still expanded.

The other thing to look into is if you want to get gear with buttons(snaps) showing or not. If you do, you better get silver. The old timers will rib the living crap out of you if you try and wear anything with gold on it,..... Trust me on this one.

Here is what I would reccommend. Some of the leather gear listed below is mixed brands because that is all I can find on the site right now. I would stick with the same brand so it all matches and like I said, I really like my Bianchi Accumold in basketweave.

Mag Charger
Mag Light Holder
Inova T4
Belt Flashlight holder
M3 Tacital Light
16" Baton
Baton Holder, Open Top/Bottom
Cuffs
Cuff Cases
Holster
Duty Gun
Mag Holder
Icky People Protection
Key Silencer
Belt Keepers
Superman Suit
Radio Holder
OC Holder
OC

Last edited:

bandit_48032

Established Member
Lawfficer said:
No. I have open top for my Expandable Baton and a LP340 flashlight holder. It says it's for a Streamlight stinger, but it works real well with the Inova T4 and Surefire G2. The reason the baton being open top is grab-ability. When you need it, your going to need it plus it's so freaking heavy that unless you do cartwheels up to your traffic stops, it's not going anywhere. Actually, I would look into a semi-open bottom Baton holder, I have to collapse mine inorder to put it away but there are ones on the market now that will take one still expanded.

The other thing to look into is if you want to get gear with buttons(snaps) showing or not. If you do, you better get silver. The old timers will rib the living crap out of you if you try and wear anything with gold on it,..... Trust me on this one.

Here is what I would reccommend. Some of the leather gear listed below is mixed brands because that is all I can find on the site right now. I would stick with the same brand so it all matches and like I said, I really like my Bianchi Accumold in basketweave.

Mag Charger
Mag Light Holder
Inova T4
Belt Flashlight holder
M3 Tacital Light
16" Baton
Baton Holder, Open Top/Bottom
Cuffs
Cuff Cases
Holster
Duty Gun
Mag Holder
Icky People Protection
Key Silencer
Belt Keepers
Superman Suit
Radio Holder
OC Holder
OC

Awesome information, thanks a lot.....this will definitely help me out with my choices.

Ya, I'm not a big fan of the gold snaps....I've always been a black and silver kind of guy, just like my black cars and chrome wheels!!! :banana:

Can you shed some light on some of the ribs from the old timers about the gold snaps; I think that’s hilarious! haha

jimljr145

Jimljr145
Established Member
bandit_48032 said:
I'm gonna need to buy my duty belt and everything needed for it within the near future...I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or feedback. There are so many choices out there, any help would be great.

Are you a new hire? I can't imagine that you wouldn't be issued what is required by your department, atleast initially. Use that, see how you like it, ask others in your Department what they use, etc.. The decide on what type of gear you want to buy. I wouldn't buy any of my own stuff until I was sure what I wanted, unless you are made of money that is. I personally used the issued leather gear from my department, then my next clothing allowance I purchased all nylon gear. I use the leather for dress, and the nylon for work.

bandit_48032

Established Member
Lawfficer said:
So no one noticed the duty gun yet huh???

I did notice the duty gun....I laughed my ass off. I was like, "how the hell am I gonna find a holster for that!" haha

bandit_48032

Established Member
jimljr145 said:
Are you a new hire? I can't imagine that you wouldn't be issued what is required by your department, atleast initially. Use that, see how you like it, ask others in your Department what they use, etc.. The decide on what type of gear you want to buy. I wouldn't buy any of my own stuff until I was sure what I wanted, unless you are made of money that is. I personally used the issued leather gear from my department, then my next clothing allowance I purchased all nylon gear. I use the leather for dress, and the nylon for work.

I'm going through the interview process for a small town res/aux devision at the local department right now. If I get the job, I'm more than likely going to have to buy my own leather ...especially sense this is Michigan and funds are soo damn tight.

If I get the job or not, I'm gonna be going through the Academy in the next year or so. I'll need to get my leather for that.

bandit_48032

Established Member
So I had my first interview Monday night....wow, talk about me being a nerves wreck!!! Anyways, I thought I did horrible....

but, I did get a voice mail from one of the Lieutenants that interviewed me the next day. He left me a voice mail telling me he needed to talk to me, and to call him on his cell phone.

So I called him and he told me he's not guaranteeing that I'm going to get a second interview, but they're having a CCW Course at the Department this Saturday, and I was invited to attend free of charge.

So they had interviews on Monday and Wednesday, and the Lieutenant called me on Tuesday to invite me to the CCW Course. I would like to think of this as being a good thing, especially sense he trusted me to call him on his cell phone.....but I'm also looking at this like it might not be anything too promising, and they might just have all the interviewee's going through the CCW course and see how everyone does with the course before picking people for second interviews.

haha, I'm looking too far into this aren't I? What do you guys think?

bandit_48032

Established Member
Lawfficer said:
Face Time is never a bad thing, Unless your Sloth.

Good Luck!

thanks, I was so nervous in my interview. I went into the Department and I was waiting around for a bit.....then I saw the guy before me get out of his interview, his shirt was half unbuttoned and he was sweating profusely. I was like uh oh....here we go! haha

They hammered me with some tough questions...one of which was..."If you were hired with our department, how would you rank these people in your life. The citizens of our city, the chief, your family, and your partner."

I said, "family first because they will be there for me with or without the job. My partner next because he needs to realize that I have his back so we can both perform our jobs to the best of our abilities, the citizens of the city because thats who we're there to protect, and the chief last because he probably knows how to take care of himself, and I wouldn't be on the road with him everyday."

They grilled me with some tough questions though....I was in there for about an hour. One question they asked which I thought was pretty funny was, "If you could be any animal, what would it be and why?" haha, I got a kick out of that.

The guy that interviewed before me, and after me didn't even wear a tie! I couldn't believe it. I worse a suit and tie, I was always told dress to impress.

Users who are viewing this thread