Dust removal advice, Black car

Petro

Established Member
Short of washing the car, is there something I can use to remove dust from the car after it sits for a couple days?

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
I use swiffer dusters on my car after a good coat of wax. Dust it off in your garage after a ride or once every other day. Start on the top surfaces, sides, rear bumper top, bottom of the rear quaters (where brake dust accumualates), then the wheels.

Trubble

Established Member
I use swiffer dusters on my car after a good coat of wax. Dust it off in your garage after a ride or once every other day. Start on the top surfaces, sides, rear bumper top, bottom of the rear quaters (where brake dust accumualates), then the wheels.

Do you all use car covers? How clean should the car be before you cover her?

I've always wondered about the drivers who ride to work and slap a cover on the car. Has to be affecting the finish, right? :shrug:

Bill

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member

I've always wondered about the drivers who ride to work and slap a cover on the car. Has to be affecting the finish, right? :shrug:

Bill

Yes it needs to be fully cleaned before covering.

Trubble

Established Member
Good Thread!

My hats off to the administrators or whoever decided to start this thread.
Looking forward to getting a new ride (Shelby) very soon, and want to keep it looking good!

Petro

Established Member
Thanks for all the great replies, I bought some Adam's waterless car wash and used some microfiber waterless towels on it. I was skeptical about swirls at first, but once I got it in the sun...no swirls! Worked great, Thanks again.

T0RCH3D

Established Member
IMO some/most of the techniques mentioned above can and will lead to marring. The most effective way with the least chance of marring is a traditional two bucket wash or rinseless or waterless wash done correctly! The more you come in contact with your paint, the greater the chances are that your instilling swirls into the paint. I try to come in contact with my paint as little as possible even when washing and cleaning the car. Always let the product do most of the work for you and use very light, straight line motions from the front to the rear of the vehicle, avoiding the common 'wax on, wax off' motion. Moving in circular motions is a bad habit that is used often and it creates terrible spider marring over time, while moving in straight line motions will not rub particles into the paint as easy and will leave marring that is less visible to the eye as it can only be seen in certain angles. Also, using compressed air and blow drying the vehicle accompanied by a quality microfiber drying towel is imperative to maintaining a flawless finish. Just my thoughts on the matter since I have seen some of the best and some of the worst maintenance techniques on show vehicles.

Last edited:

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
IMO some/most of the techniques mentioned above can and will lead to marring. The most effective way with the least chance of marring is a traditional two bucket wash or rinseless or waterless wash done correctly! The more you come in contact with your paint, the greater the chances are that your instilling swirls into the paint. I try to come in contact with my paint as little as possible even when washing and cleaning the car. Always let the product do most of the work for you and use very light, straight line motions from the front to the rear of the vehicle, avoiding the common 'wax on, wax off' motion. Moving in circular motions is a bad habit that is used often and it creates terrible spider marring over time, while moving in straight line motions will not rub particles into the paint as easy and will leave marring that is less visible to the eye as it can only be seen in certain angles. Also, using compressed air and blow drying the vehicle accompanied by a quality microfiber drying towel is imperative to maintaining a flawless finish. Just my thoughts on the matter since I have seen some of the best and some of the worst maintenance techniques on show vehicles.

I agree I always just wash it with 2 buckets anytime I have any dust or dirt on it; Or after any drive actually. I also use an air compressor to dry it off and then afterwards I will pull it in the garage and wipe it down with a quick detail usually just to get any streak spots or somewhere that dried before I got to it.

quad

Established Member

Bill

Yes, driving it to work and slapping a cover over it can't be good. The car is dirty at that point and still hot as well. It needs to cool down first. Only time I put a cover on the car is if it is completely clean and dry and just been wiped off with clean microfiber towels.

Users who are viewing this thread