dumb burnout question

04slvr_snake

Established Member
How to?? You have to forgive me but this is my first stick and was wondering how to pull a burnout without having a line-lock. I have only spun by popping the clutch and letting her go, but never a break torque. Sorry for the stupid question

:burnout:

SteveChris

Established Member
i stink too :eek:)
thing is its easier to know then do, but i sure once you get the hang of it its easy.
basically what ive been trying is what ive been told
right foot heel on the brake, toe on the gas. hold the brake just enough maybe a little more to not let the car move. clutch in then rev in first,,play around with how high to rev.. then i guess you can pop the clutch in most cars but i have IRS like you and you need to feather it in place of popping. i know you do in launching so i assume you do in burning out. let the clutch out and give gas but watch the rpms.
i think im gonna invest in a line lock cause the whole 3 peddle two feet thing is annoying

CWD

Established Member
Hurst line lock

I have this as I preferred it over the SLP unit. Works well and has many uses other than burnouts!

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I could never do the right foot over lap thing.. I just let the clutch out and left foot brake until you have some heat in the tires then I let off of the brake and drive out of it. Getting out of the throttle just after you let out the brake makes for a nice slow roll to the line.

It is certainly not a stupid question....especially when that question revolves around a car that has an IRS.

BoneCrusher

Established Member
I do the heel/toe in second gear. Once you do it a few times it's like second nature. Like the guys said I pull up, right heel stongly on the brakes rev up to 5,500 RPMs and dump the clutch. Once the tires are spinning give it more gas to get your RPM's back up to 5,500 RPM's and hold it there till your content. Doing it this way for me is the easiest and the car doesn't lurch forward at all. I definitely recommend a second gear burnout though, especially if you're trying to heat them up at the track.

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
Yup I use second when heating them up at the track as well. More tire speed helps the tires warm even quicker.

mustang196718

Snake#796,The Rice Killer
Established Member
Doesn't powerbraking it pretty much just kill your rear brakes though? That's the impression that i was under, especially since the brakes are engaged as you're burning out. If i'm correct, than i'd definitely say invest in a line lock so that you can just lock your front brakes and not kill your rears.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
BoneCrusher said:
I do the heel/toe in second gear. Once you do it a few times it's like second nature. Like the guys said I pull up, right heel stongly on the brakes rev up to 5,500 RPMs and dump the clutch. Once the tires are spinning give it more gas to get your RPM's back up to 5,500 RPM's and hold it there till your content. Doing it this way for me is the easiest and the car doesn't lurch forward at all. I definitely recommend a second gear burnout though, especially if you're trying to heat them up at the track.

So when you let off, is there a huge lunge forward or does it just roll forward? I don't want to be responsible for the lane worker shitting his pants...

Do you just pop the clutch in and kick it out of gear?

I too am curious about this, I need to learn to heat up a set of tires on this sucker. :beer:

WDW MKR

Established Member
Second gear burnouts have always worried me with the stock clutch. They definitely heat the tires better, but I haven't had the guts to try it. Firmly holding the brake before starting the burnout will definitely kill the rear brakes. I prefer to start the burnout then grab just enough brake to stop the car from moving.

04slvr_snake

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Second gear burnouts have always worried me with the stock clutch. They definitely heat the tires better, but I haven't had the guts to try it. Firmly holding the brake before starting the burnout will definitely kill the rear brakes. I prefer to start the burnout then grab just enough brake to stop the car from moving.

tried that once, nearly put my head through the winshield :shrug:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Assuming you start your burnout with wet rear tires, second gear is absolutely the way to go and is NOT too hard on the clutch, as the tires light up immediately. If your goal is to heat the tires, rather than just impress bystanders, second gear is the only way to go, and you should always have wet rears and get it up to 5000 or so revs in second. In first you can't spin fast enough to really generate heat and it's too easy too hit the rev limiter. Again, assuming you start with wet tires, you won't stress the clutch.

After the car hooks or when you want to let up the burnout, make sure to stab the clutch to avoid lurching forward or shocking the drivetrain.

Burnouts without a line lock definitely shorten your rear pad and rotor life. I can vouch for that!

04DOHC

Established Member
the only thing to worry about when you are popping the clutch or the heel/toe is to remember to let off the gas if the tires are not spinning other wise bye bye clutch.....

BoneCrusher

Established Member
DKS2814V said:
So when you let off, is there a huge lunge forward or does it just roll forward? I don't want to be responsible for the lane worker shitting his pants...

Do you just pop the clutch in and kick it out of gear?

I too am curious about this, I need to learn to heat up a set of tires on this sucker. :beer:

What I do is, after about a 5 sec. smokey burnout on my ET streets, I rotate my right heel counter-clockwise till it comes off the brake pedal while still holding the throttle steady. Once my heel is off the brake pedal I slowly roll out of the water box with my tires still spinning and once I'm on dry pavement I just pop the clutch back in while I quickly let off the throttle. No lurching at all, nice smooth roll out of the water box that way. :beer:

My rear breaks wear a little quicker but nothing crazy. I also have a RAM HD clutch. Once my stocker was about hosed all you could smell was clutch when I would do a burnout.

04slvr_snake

Established Member
I have heard some mixed feelings about the wter box..it seems everyone so far has said to use it, I uaselly try to avoid it well because that is what I was told to do

Users who are viewing this thread