DUI & cellphone video

olefafl

Established Member
My wife and I called in a drunk(?) today. She was all over her lane & then made a right turn from the straight lane.
She dropped off a kid at a place and the cops talked to her in the parking lot. The cops never seen her on the road. 911 called us back and got my wifes info so we could go to court if needed. 911 said they were "giving her (the lady we called 911 about) a test"
Right now we don't know if she was drunk or just can't drive.

If i would have gotten to my phone and shot video of her would the police have taken my SD card, just let me E-Mail it to them, justed watched it or what?

Last edited:

DanTheMan18

Established Member
I don't know if it's just the fact that it's 4:28 in the morning where I'm at and I'm tired, but this post made no sense to me whatsoever.

jshen

Established Member
I'm assuming you watched another ..who you thought was drunk..and you have a video of her driving? If that is the case, yes, if she were arrested, that video would be of great help to the police.

olefafl

Established Member
Sorry, I posted from my cellphone and didn't catch the wording. :uh oh:

We called in some lady, we don't have video of her. If we did would they take the card, or what?

jshen

Established Member
Best thing is to take phone to police and we can download video or go though your phone co.

WVFord

Established Member
In my state I don't believe you have to be driving to be cited for drunk driving, just sitting behind the wheel drunk will do. Not 100% sure about this.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
New Jeresey is like a hole nother country, but an anonymous call is more than enough to make a stop for DWI. It's funny, we can't stop someone if there is an anonymous call for drug activity, but DWI we can :rolleyes:
The video would be helpful in a court case, but unfortunately when it comes to DWI in NJ your guilty until proven innocent, so if your charged and either blow above .08 or refuse, you are burdened with proving innocence rather than the court being burdened with further proving guilt. I can't speak on any other states. If there was no way for me to burn a copy on a CD, I would have viewed the video then referred to what I saw in my report. That would be enough. I would never take a witnesses property unless it contained evidence of an indictable crime.

Last edited:

Greg_Hager

Established Member
In my state I don't believe you have to be driving to be cited for drunk driving, just sitting behind the wheel drunk will do. Not 100% sure about this.
If I can articulate you were driving, or had the ability to drive the vehicle (IE, Keys in ignition, in pocket, immediate area to you, etc) is how it is I'm almost 100%.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If you were there when the stop was initiated, and you told me you had a video, I would have taken your SD card and placed it in an evidence bag right away and logged it in. I would not give you time to take it elsewhere.

jshen

Established Member
Georgia's laws gives us 3hours after the incident..part 5 states:

(5) The person's alcohol concentration is 0.08 grams or more at any time within three hours after such driving or being in actual physical control from alcohol consumed before such driving or being in actual physical control ended; or

If your behind the wheel and have access to drive the car..keys in...or car idling..or a witness to that effect......DUI

ZChaos0026

Established Member
I would have gotten the video as quickly as possible and turned it into evidence. That's great evidence, cause even a drunk will try to drive better when they see the police behind them, but they might not try as hard when a civilian is behind them. DUI's are such a pain to deal with from start to finish, so the more evidence you have, the better off you are.

rust0r

Established Member
Not to hi-jack the thread, I'm just wondering if there was anything better I could have done in this situation to make sure the guy got pulled over...

I recently was on vacation driving around the Washington area (I95) and called in a drunk driver who was crossing into the other lane, and nearly off the road into the ditch, I'm really surprised he didn't kill anyone (that I saw anyways). This went on for like 20 minutes during which I called them in using #77 and I couldn't believe how annoyed the dispatcher was, "UGH where", I told him the location and mile marker/exit we just passed "ugh, description", after I gave him all the info he says "if a car sees him they'll pull him over", we followed him until he got off at an exit, I'm wasn't familiar with the area at all or else I would have followed him from behind to alert the police yet again

I just couldn't believe how annoyed he was with me, it could have been his wife, kids or mother who got killed by this person. Any suggestions if this ever happens again (Yes, I kept WELL behind him as I didn't want to be part of a massive pileup if he hit someone)

Users who are viewing this thread