DUDE! Thats it I'm pissed.

~Shan~

On the way to work this morning and some RICER wants a piece. So I F-ing get on it. This dude had Turbo on his car for sure but I still took him. Thing is. We went around a turn and I had to let off the gas after I felt my backend starting to bust lose. I mean this truck handles dude but he passed me on the OUTSIDE cuase I had to let off the gas.

My question???

I HATE LOSING!!!

What can I do to fix the situation. Lowering, what? I am serious man I don't want another repeat. This dude prolly thought he was hot shit after this. Now I have been reading and Roush and HOtchis (however you spell it) look good. But whats the best way to go. Is there a good all round kit I can go with or do I have to mix and match with Roush and Hotch???

drop some knowledge on me bros. I got some cash. and when I'm done I'm gonna make this guy wish he drove an L!!!

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
I slammed my 01 L. It's lowered 4in. front and almost 5in. rear and i lowered the tire pressure. She handles outrageous. I want to get bigger sway bars. but i can run with vettes and beemers through the turns and of course smoke on the straights. :beer: Hey shan, if you need to know what parts i used, just email me and i'll help all i can.:beer:

Last edited:

bronze

Established Member
Originally posted by LEAD LARRY
I slammed my 01 L. It's lowered 4in. front and almost 5in. rear and i lowered the tire pressure. She handles outrageous. I want to get bigger sway bars. but i can run with vettes and beemers through the turns and of course smoke on the straights. :beer:
4" in the front and 5" in the rear, lowered tire pressure, and you can run with vettes and beemers?
No way, unless you mean your L is parked and you're chasing them on foot in a parking lot at 7 mph.
How about a picture of your suspension showing ZERO travel?

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
You don't know what your talking about. I have several inches of travel front and rear. the lowering was done right! and yes I smoked a newer vette and a beemer in the hills of northern cal. i've posted pictures on here before. You can't post the same pictures.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Larry, you dont need to explain yourself to this troll. We've seen your Lightning and it is sweet. And even without lowering in, unless you are on a road course, the shear speed and acceleration of the Lightning takes the C5 vette everyday and same thing with the BMW, except for the M5. that is close.

Screw Bronze he is freaking troll. He lists his cars as "several." I have five cars and I can list them here. Again please dont feed the Trolls.

bronze

Established Member
All I stated was that a 4" drop in the front and 5 in the rear would result in NO suspension travel. No suspension travel will result in horrible handling. Does that make me a troll for pointing it out?

How about a picture of the front suspension behind the wheel showing the lower control arm along with an explanation of how you corrected the severe bump steer?

If the suspension was done right, these will be easy questions to answer.

Bronze

BTW, maybe I'm pointing this out so that ~Shan~ won't make the same mistake. Slamming a Lightning doesn't give it better handling.

Last edited:

bronze

Established Member
So, you're not willing to discuss spring rates, bump steer correction, modified alignments specs, etc.? But, you're willing to state that your slammed Lightning will outrun vettes and beemers.

Bronze

bronze

Established Member
Can't feed the trolls. :burn: If you dought it come to cal and run me. If you even have a Vehicle.:burn:
I run at the local tracks often (in Northern and Central California). Shall I let you know of the next date I'm out TESTING suspension items?

FordSVTFan: Why would my vehicles matter when I'm asking basic suspension questions?

Bronze

Last edited:

bronze

Established Member
If you hadn't come on like such an a hole to begin with I would be glad to tell you. I don't like RUDE people.
You suggested using a highly questionable (and possibly dangerous) suspension modification because it could outrun vettes and beemers. It's one thing to suggest a suspension mod that may improve handling. It's another thing to suggest one that is a bad idea and then qualify that it'll outrun vettes and beemers. I don't consider my response rude. Rather, it was blunt. Expect it if you're going to make claims that are questionable.

Bronze

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by bronze

I run at the local tracks often (in Northern and Central California). Shall I let you know of the next date I'm out TESTING suspension items?

FordSVTFan: Why would my vehicles matter when I'm asking basic suspension questions?

Bronze

Because this board is for Ford SVT enthusiasts and we tell each other what we drive and own so we can get a feel for the other person we are chatting with and what type of experiences they might have with vehicles. Also, it is nice to know if you just say shit and dont know shit. Experience with these vehicles leads you to know things like a moded L kills C5 vettes and BMW's all day long and you will avoid silly comments.

Plus your first post here is a freaking flame. And I quote "Why not spend the money on driving lessons." That is a bad way to start on a board.

bronze

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan

Because this board is for Ford SVT enthusiasts and we tell each other what we drive and own so we can get a feel for the other person we are chatting with and what type of experiences they might have with vehicles. Also, it is nice to know if you just say shit and dont know shit. Experience with these vehicles leads you to know things like a moded L kills C5 vettes and BMW's all day long and you will avoid silly comments.

Plus your first post here is a freaking flame. And I quote "Why not spend the money on driving lessons." That is a bad way to start on a board.
I agree with most of the first paragraph, but not the second.

You can learn to drive a Lightning MUCH better by spending $195 on high performance driving lesson using your own Lightning with an instructor in the truck. A good driver with a stock suspension, brakes, and tires can turn better lap times than a novice driver with a modified suspension, upgraded brakes and racing tires. (Don't bother questioning it - it's true).

The hotchkis and/or roush suspension will induce more oversteer (or remove understeer). It's a better system if you know how to drive with it. On the other hand, if you go into a corner to hot and you start to loose the rear, a novice may lift (or hit the brakes) and further unload the rear. That'll just make it worse. Now, consider this scenario with ~Shan~ and another driver passing him on the outside. They'll trade paint. Hmmm... a "freaking flame?" No - just inexpensive advice.

...it was done right. I'm not a beginner...
I still don't believe it.

It's well documented that L's with a true/measured drop of 3" have limited suspension travel (1/2"). Some are very close to riding the bump stops even after they're cut. So, I question your 4" drop.

What about the spring rates (front and rear). Are they stiff enough to prevent bottoming out? If they are, then they won't allow enough suspension travel, so you're back to the same problem.

How did you handle the bump steer problem. I wouldn't expect you to post a good picture of how you corrected the geometry with that drop.

I won't ask about shocks, because you probably selected them based on the optimum operating stroke range and then tested them on a shock dyno to verify that they'll work with your suspension (shaft speed vs jounce/rebound).

etc...

Without that info, I don't understand how you could recommend Shan to do the same UNLESS you're willing to post lap times before and after your upgrade proving it's better. With that info, I won't question your suspension.

With that, I'll go.

Shan, if you want advice, ask the above questions when you consider your upgrade. If the person you ask understands the questions and can answer them, it'll help your decision. If they avoid the questions and hide behind statements like "troll, etc." they don't know suspensions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread