DTC Code, question.

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
Throwing 2 codes, as follows:

P0430 (bank 2 catalyst)
P0442

What does code P0442 indicate? I haev no cats, and to myknowledge, the tuner turned off the O2 sensors and the O2 sensor heaters. Also, these codes just showed up, and I have not had car retuned in a couple months. What gives?

I did recently install an autometer stoich gauges, ran the A/F wire to the front, passenger side O2 sensor, tapped into the gray wire. Gauge seems to be lighting up, not sure if works for shit or not (mostly light show).

Your input is appreciated, thanks.

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
RoyWoods said:
P0442 - EVAP Control System Leak Detected.

You have a fuel vapor leak somewhere.

Which sensor is responsible for detecting this? Front O2's? This might explain my poor gas mileage the last couple weeks. Any other thought into the cause of this would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot!!!

cyac5l8trfcar

Cubs>Sox
Established Member
99Cobra#2468 said:
Which sensor is responsible for detecting this? Front O2's? This might explain my poor gas mileage the last couple weeks. Any other thought into the cause of this would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot!!!

If it is not a reoccuring code odds are you left the gas cap loose. The evap system is not connected to the 02 sensors. It manily consists of a line coming off of the gas tank, a charcoal canister, a vent valve, a purge vavle, and some hard plastic lines under the car. It will be very difficult to find this at home, your best bet is take it to a shop. It will take them 5 minutes.

On the p0430, it sounds like you either misinstalled the wiring or have a bad 02. If you have ever ran leaded gas it will destroy 02 sensors.

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
cyac5l8trfcar said:
If it is not a reoccuring code odds are you left the gas cap loose. The evap system is not connected to the 02 sensors. It manily consists of a line coming off of the gas tank, a charcoal canister, a vent valve, a purge vavle, and some hard plastic lines under the car. It will be very difficult to find this at home, your best bet is take it to a shop. It will take them 5 minutes.

On the p0430, it sounds like you either misinstalled the wiring or have a bad 02. If you have ever ran leaded gas it will destroy 02 sensors.

I've never ran leaded gas, maybe some freak code. I cleared codes with the XCal 2, and we'll see if they show up again after car completes the necessary drive cycles. Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread