Drunk driver almost killed a co-worker

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
I worked w/ this officer for the last 3 or so years.. Last I heard the hospital still had him cut wide open trying to stop the internal bleeding.. It's pretty clear from hospital staff that his leg/ankle/hip are injured so bad that he'll never be a cop again.. The real bad part is because he was off duty (driving home from work in uniform) the city won't cover him. That means he only has about 3 months of time on the payroll between sick/vacation/comp time and holidays.. After that 3 months is up he stops getting a paycheck..

Story:

A 23-year-old woman who injured an off-duty Milwaukee police officer in a wrong-way crash on I-94 was charged Friday with second-degree recklessly endangering safety and injury by intoxicated use of a vehicle/great bodily harm.

Erin M. Salmon of Milwaukee was driving a Nissan Altima westbound in the eastbound lanes of I-94 just after midnight Wednesday and crashed head-on into Joshua Albert's Toyota Scion just west of N. 35th St., according to a criminal complaint filed in Milwaukee County Circuit Court.

Authorities said her headlights were off until just before the crash.

Albert, a Milwaukee police officer since March 2009, had just finished work and was on his way home.

According to the criminal complaint, a Milwaukee County Sheriff's deputy reviewed state Department of Transportation video that showed Salmon got on I-94 via the Van Buren St. off ramp.

She drove the wrong way for about 2.4 miles and about 50 eastbound vehicles passed her, many having to slow down or swerve to avoid colliding with her vehicle, the complaint says.

"When the Nissan entered the expressway, the headlights were illuminated, but at one point she stopped for approximately one (1) minute in traffic, turned the headlights off, then continued driving the wrong way," the complaint says.

Albert's injuries included a "severe pelvic injury with several fractures, a spinal fluid leak, internal bleeding and a severe left ankle injury, a fracture of his femur along with cuts and abrasions," the complaint states.

Salmon's injuries included a lacerated spleen and liver, an aortic tear, brain injury and a shattered right leg, the complaint says.

Both are being treated at Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa.

Salmon was issued citations for operating while intoxicated-first offense; driving the wrong way on a divided highway; driving without proper lamps lighted; and reckless driving/endangering safety, the sheriff's office said.

Drunk driver:

ErinSalmon.JPG

oldmodman

Established Member
I hope she had a great insurance policy to cover the officer's injuries. And that his department finds a position within the department for the rest of his life.

Maybe it's time for one way tire poppers to be installed at the ends of every offramp. Way too many of these wrong way driver accidents are happening.
Just make them lowerable for emergency vehicles.

WOT 88

Established Member
Damn man, that's terrible. Hope he recovers quickly and is able to live out his career in some manner.

Like the idea oldmodman

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Prayers for him and hope his family gets a good lawyer....going to be rough

as for her.....ill reserve my thoughts, but hope they throw the book at her

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
I went and saw him today in the hospital. His stomach/chest are still cut wide open but they took care of all the internal stuff. Thus, they might close him back up soon and when the do the tubes in his nose can come out that are going down to his stomach. They were able to build him a new hip yesterday. The next hurdle is to rebuild both of his feet.

He was able to saw a few words though and even cracked a joke.

The sad part is not that it happened to a cop but it could have been my wife and kids. Or your sister or mother. You just never know.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I hope she had a great insurance policy to cover the officer's injuries. And that his department finds a position within the department for the rest of his life.

Maybe it's time for one way tire poppers to be installed at the ends of every offramp. Way too many of these wrong way driver accidents are happening.
Just make them lowerable for emergency vehicles.

I like that idea.... makes great sense:beer:

sad to hear ..my prayers to that officer and her. She made a terrible misstake.

Mistake? Um no - drunk driving is NOT a mistake. She got drunk on purpose then proceeded to get into her car and drive. Those are all deliberate actions. Not a mistake.

I truly believe that until we have more serious consequences people will continue to treat DUI like it's no big deal. Like losing your ability to drive for ANY reason for 2+ yrs might get some peoples attention. Or how about a mandatory jail term of a yr? I'm all about fines but it seems fines alone aren't deterring people.

Along with Oldmodmans idea of tire poppers at freeway exits I can't think of any other ways to mitigate peoples stupidity.

Last edited:

NoRdO

Established Member
mach1usmc, I could certainly see it as a mistake but I also see it as no mistake. It is likely that she was soo drunk that she probably didn't even realize she was getting into a car. Like drunken instincts. She probably couldn't even think. On the other hand, she should have been more responsible before she decided to drink soo much. She could have arranged a ride, left the car at home, or given her keys to someone responsible and done all of this before she became soo intoxicated. Regardless it is unacceptable and she deserves many years in jail. This looks like one of those prosecute to the fullest extent possible cases. OP, I wish the best recovery to your fellow officer.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
mach1usmc, I could certainly see it as a mistake but I also see it as no mistake. It is likely that she was soo drunk that she probably didn't even realize she was getting into a car. Like drunken instincts. She probably couldn't even think. On the other hand, she should have been more responsible before she decided to drink soo much. She could have arranged a ride, left the car at home, or given her keys to someone responsible and done all of this before she became soo intoxicated. Regardless it is unacceptable and she deserves many years in jail. This looks like one of those prosecute to the fullest extent possible cases. OP, I wish the best recovery to your fellow officer.

I guess I'm a pretty "black and white" kind of guy. You make the CHOICE to drink alcohol. No one forces you do do that. When you choose to do that you also choose the responsibility that comes with it. I have no sympathy for drunks whatsoever whether they drink and drive, get into fights etc etc. - IMHO you simply do not have the right to take someone else's life, property or health into your hands because you are too stupid to make a good decision. By calling what she did a mistake I think it to an extent excuses her incredibly poor judgement and inexcusable behavior.

I agree completely with the rest of your sentiments.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member

Theres no on one hand and the other here. Next time dont drink so damn much or if you do hide your keys from yourself. If you are involved in a car accident involving alcohol it should be a mandatory minimum sentence of 2 years in jail.

musclemustang65

NA again
Established Member
Whatever they actually convict her of, she will pay fines and go on living the rest of her life as it was (given she didn't receive life changing injuries) and the officer will pay for it the rest of his life.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Whatever they actually convict her of, she will pay fines and go on living the rest of her life as it was (given she didn't receive life changing injuries) and the officer will pay for it the rest of his life.

Not taking anythign away from this horrific incident but she wont be walking away unscaved(however you spell that)........

"Salmon's injuries included a lacerated spleen and liver, an aortic tear, brain injury and a shattered right leg, the complaint says."

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
Not taking anythign away from this horrific incident but she wont be walking away unscaved(however you spell that)........

"Salmon's injuries included a lacerated spleen and liver, an aortic tear, brain injury and a shattered right leg, the complaint says."

unscathed :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread