DR's with stock Driveshaft/Suspension?

Blacksmoke

Established Member
Ok so I'm still needing a much better rear tire set for my 08 GT500 and still doing research.

I have stock wheels 18x9.5 and am looking at Toyo R888's, and
Nitto 555R Drag Radials.
These will be used for Daily driving though I only put about
5k mi max on the car a year.

The 888 come in 305/35/18, 295/30/18, and
275/35/18.
I have heard their 305's are wider than most and would be a really tight fit.

The 555R come in 305/35 and 305/40 18's.

I was leaning towards the 555r due to a better fit.
HOWEVER...
I have read that DR's put a lot of stress on the normal
suspension, driveshaft, and transmission.
ALL stock except for the pulley swap, idler, CAI, and
custom tune.

I'm at 535rwhp and do NOT want to risk my stock
suspension or my transmission.
As I stated before I will mostly use it for daily driving style
driving, but I do have some spirited fun.

Would the DR's put a lot of stress and risk the stock suspension, transmission, or anything else if I did any 3-4K RPM launches on them or the daily driving?
I'm a novice to say the least on this subject.

I'm having A LOT of difficulty deciding on the choices given the fitment issues if the 888's, and the safety concerns I'm addressing with the DR's.

Most driving will be on the street with maybe 5-15 mi on the highway in one to two week timeframe.

Advice and some more education on this would help me TREMENDOUSLY, and would be appreciated more than you know.

Thank you SO much!

2008 GT500, stock wheels, 2.6 pulley, idler,
JLT CAI, Custom tune. 535rwhp, 540trq.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Any softer compound tire is going to put more stress on suspension components. I would recommend a 1pc DS for safety and peice of mind. There are plenty of people running more power then your with no 1 pc. But the more traction the harder your launch which equates to more stress on the clutch, rear end and other driveline parts

Blacksmoke

Established Member
Thx Z
So do I need to wait on tires?
These right now are not letting me launch at more than 1k rpm without sliding.
Would getting them and launching at 2-2.5k RPM pose any danger until a driveshaft upgrade pose any sort of danger?

Or should I wait for D shaft first?
Right now any sort of throttle means sliding.
But I can just deal with it until driveshaft if needed.
And if so, what's the best d shaft with the least problems?

Thanks again Z and all who put in advice/input!

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I run high 10's on nitto NT05R's launching at 3500 on a stock driveshaft. Granted I'm eventually doing a 13-14 carbon fiber ds conversion as soon as my buddy is done making the adapter flanges but you can go very fast as you sit with drag radials without too much worry.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I personally think at the power level you can get away with a good performance summer tire. I ran Michelin pilot sport ps2's at around 575 and got decent traction. Maybe look at a super sport tire

blackvette101

Established Member
I run a the 315/40/18 NT05R on stock suspension and driveshaft. But my car only gets a couple hundred miles a year. It's pushed hard during those miles though. I have a client that runs 305/40/18 NT555R on stock driveshaft with BMR suspension. He drives it hard every day like 15-20,000 miles a year. No issues with driveshaft. Both cars mkae 550ish rwhp

fullboogie

Established Member
I run 555R's, and they're better than stock - but not nearly what you probably think they are. You're not going to dead hook on the street with 3k launches. In my opinion, there's very little added stress until you start hitting the track. Then it's time for a 1 piece DS.

adidasUNT8

Established Member
at 535 I think you'll be fine with a drag radial. You need to start looking at 1 piece ds pretty soon. I snapped two of mine when i sent my 1-piece to get rebalanced, but I was over 700 at the wheels. 1st time the dealer covered it, the second time I put the 1-piece back on.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
1 piece is just stronger. You can do what you like. Some will say yes, others will say youll be fine so the choice is yours. Compare the 2 side by side and the decision becomes obvious. Only one needs to be thrown away if dropped.

Blacksmoke

Established Member
1 piece is just stronger. You can do what you like. Some will say yes, others will say youll be fine so the choice is yours. Compare the 2 side by side and the decision becomes obvious. Only one needs to be thrown away if dropped.

You might be misunderstanding.
I mean stock piece not safe with DR's?

DaFreak

Established Member
As my car is mainly a DD too, I’ve shied away from R tires due to the thinness of the belts and casing. I went with the NT05’s (wider than stock) and it’s a huge improvement over the stock F1’s in terms of grip. I’m sure the R versions will get you more grip but for me it’s not worth the durability and safety tradeoff.

adidasUNT8

Established Member
As my car is mainly a DD too, I’ve shied away from R tires due to the thinness of the belts and casing. I went with the NT05’s (wider than stock) and it’s a huge improvement over the stock F1’s in terms of grip. I’m sure the R versions will get you more grip but for me it’s not worth the durability and safety tradeoff.

Yeah the R's are much stickier...

Black Sex

Established Member
I ran 295 MT ET streets with my stock DS. Alittle over 600rwhp. Launching from idle, still went 11.15 @124 w/1.68 60'.
I now have a 1pc DS

cluscher

Established Member
Very impressive ET at that mph and that short time. I went 11.5 at 123 with a low 1.7 short time. Dyno said I make 575 at the wheel.

Black Sex

Established Member
Very impressive ET at that mph and that short time. I went 11.5 at 123 with a low 1.7 short time. Dyno said I make 575 at the wheel.

mine?
Now that I have 1pc DS and changed a few things in the rear suspension, I'm shooting for 10.80's and 1.50 60's. I plan on doing 4K launch's now :burnout: I just hope the tires will hold it as they are from 2010

cluscher

Established Member
Yeah, just observed that our 60ft and mph were similar but you had 4 10ths on me. You make more power, but thought I would have seen more mph in your pass. Stout pass based on short time and mph. Good luck getting into the 10s.

Black Sex

Established Member
Yeah, just observed that our 60ft and mph were similar but you had 4 10ths on me. You make more power, but thought I would have seen more mph in your pass. Stout pass based on short time and mph. Good luck getting into the 10s.

Thanks. Im hoping the lack of MPH is caused from leaving with no RPM.

[youtube_browser]jsv0ui4D3tk&list=TLIgT6I_6nJtY[/youtube_browser]

Users who are viewing this thread