Drove all the new F150's yesterday - EcoBoost FTW.

A4BLK98SS

Established Member
So I went to the Ford Event at California Speedway and drove all the new trucks. The whole thing was really cool. When we got there we signed a waiver and off we went. The first stop was an area with all the engines on display where we were able to ask representatives questions if we had them. After that we could go get in line to drive any of the new Ford trucks, as well as a Hemi Ram and a 4.8 or 5.3 Chevy.

The course was set up basically as a road course with a drag strip in the middle. After you went through the first section of cones, you got up to an actual drag tree. I'm not exactly sure how long the drag portion was, but it was less than an 1/8th mile. After you finished the drag section it went back to a road course again and then back to where you start. The staff was very cool and actually knew a lot about the trucks. Nobody was riding along with us and the staff didn't seem to care if you pushed it :drive:

Here is the rundown of times and mph:

F150 EB [email protected]
F150 5.0 [email protected]
F150 6.2 [email protected]
F150 EB [email protected]
Ram 5.7 [email protected]
Silve 5.3 [email protected]

The time between my first EB run and my 2nd was well over an hour. During that time the truck was driven non-stop. It was a relatively warm day and obviously heat soak wasn't too much of an issue.

My favorite truck was the EcoBoost F150. Great power everywhere and very fun to drive with all the low end torque. I was really surprised by the 5.0 though. I wasn't expecting it to be a very good truck motor. I know they changed a lot from the Mustang version, but I was expecting it to be lacking in low end power. It wasn't, the 5.0 was great and was very fun to drive. The 6.2 was also nice and was the only Ford with non-electric steering. My friends thought the electric steering on the EB and 5.0 trucks was too light, and preferred the 6.2. I know what they mean, but I think for most owners the electric steering would be a lot easier to deal with in day to day use. As far as the 6.2 itself, it's a nice engine, but I personally don't think it's worth the extra money and I'd rank it behind both the EcoBboost and 5.0 if I were buying.

The Hemi Ram was a nice truck with lots of grunt, but in my opinion lacked the refinement of the F150's. It seemed to have about the same amount of power as the 5.0, but felt slower than the EcoBoost. The interior felt a little cheaper to me also, but I'm not sure exactly what trim level I was driving.

The Silverado felt ancient and cheap. It was a Z71 5.3 and it just felt like it was a generation behind the others. The interior plastics were hard and ugly, and the powertrain just wasn't in the same league. When the Silverado hit 2nd if felt like it just laid down, where as the other trucks (especially the EB) felt like they were really picking up.

Overall I came away very impressed. If I were spending the money I'd rank the trucks EB, 5.0, 6.2, Ram, Silverado.

Last edited:

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Am I the only one thats seing the times as protected emails? Im guessing the at sign is whats causing it? Says Cloudfare is stopping it?

EDIT: NM I see it now!

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
That Ecoboost V-6 is an amazing little engine. It really is the little engine that could. I am looking at a 2011 Flex with Ecoboost and it's looking more and more likely that I'll get it to replace my ancient 1992 Ford Explorer.

A4BLK98SS

Established Member
That Ecoboost V-6 is an amazing little engine. It really is the little engine that could. I am looking at a 2011 Flex with Ecoboost and it's looking more and more likely that I'll get it to replace my ancient 1992 Ford Explorer.

Yeah, it's a damn impressive motor :beer:

mysterio

Established Member
OP, thanks for this info, that's a good write-up. I got lucky enough to get invited to an 'invitation only' event at my local Ford dealer next month to preview and test drive this ecoboost F-150.

I'm looking forward to it, but am wary about sticker shock. Did they give you an idea of the price range on the ecoboost model?

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I would love an ecoboost f150. It would run wonders around anything up here. High elevation +turbos = hemi eating fool.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
how did you find out about this event? I was wondering if they were coming to my area, would love to try out the new trucks, with no pressure to buy.

Krwy

Established Member

Flex EcoBoost FTW! I've driven a few of them while at work. Strange feeling being able to pass and merge in traffic with that van. Very fast and fun to drive for what it is. I actually prefer the EB Flex over the SHO. Check out the new Flex Titanium when they come out.

Users who are viewing this thread