Dropping The Hitch Assembly...Good Idea?

Billybong

I Am The Anti-Rice!
Established Member
Well since I don't own a boat, camper or trailer and I don't do any towing, would dropping the hitch assembly be a good idea? Dead weight but it is in the rear might help with traction? :shrug:

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
If you don't use it, I'd say lose it. I think the drop in weight will make up for any time lost by lack of traction.....and it'll look smooth.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
I did that the 3rd day I owned mine. It really cleans up the rear end. Remember to eat your wheaties or use an impact b/c those bolts are tight and have loctite on them. Don't cut off the trailer plug. I took a bolt and nut and bolted it up under the bumper. You can't even see it.

Jesse@MBRP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I take mine off except in the winter...makes for better traction in the snow and rain when its cold outside. I say ditch it

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
i was going to take mine off, but since its snowing here i left it on...damn i didnt realize how shitty these trucks do in the snow....can be fun in any case

ron_lightning04

Established Member
i took mine off at the dealer shipp lol had the wrench and extensions with me lol and the spare is gone also and the saore winch

lates ron,

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
I want to get rid of all of that stuff and install a roll pan. Should be like 150 pounds weeight reduction, I hear.

TXRickC

Established Member
I removed mine within 1st month. 8 heavy duty bolts, as stated before just tuck the wiring harness up on the bumper or frame. I removed the plug, and wrapped the open end with elec. tape & tie-wraps. Some people I see also grind/cut off the two little tabs under the bumper too.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
EvergreenSVT said:
I want to get rid of all of that stuff and install a roll pan. Should be like 150 pounds weeight reduction, I hear.

You'll have to lower it afterwards. I lowered mine with shackles, then took everything off and it sat way higher. Now I need Spring hangers.

TXRickC

Established Member
before & after removing hitch, roush kit, black wheels and tail lamp swap

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Took mine off without a impact and DAMN it felt like i was at the GYM for 1/2 hr, whata work out but worth it all in the end

ra1nmakr

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
every time i go to take the stupid things off, i end up having to get a trailer for some reason or another. i think i am going to have to leave it on in the long run. but the spare tire is a different story. god bless road side asistance

TXRickC

Established Member
SVTman75 said:
TXSVT, How much is the Roush kit and why did you put the red lamps on? Do you like them better than Euro's?

www.roushparts.com look for the only 4x2 Std Cab kit for 97-03 F150s

I did not like the look of the clear lens lamps on my truck, prefer the red.
I traded the lens for another stock 6-disc In dash to put in my '98 Ranger.

Noisycow

Mods B4 Food and Water
Established Member
There is nothing better than smoking a ricer and knowing they are having to look at your trailer hitch. I even added an obnoxious chrome 'Toys go here' plate to draw attention to it. Plus if you are backing up into a spot (against a wall) the hitch protects you :)

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
Noisycow said:
There is nothing better than smoking a ricer and knowing they are having to look at your trailer hitch. I even added an obnoxious chrome 'Toys go here' plate to draw attention to it. Plus if you are backing up into a spot (against a wall) the hitch protects you :)
the hitch doesnt stick out that far...unless u have something in there

jerzey storm

Established Member
When I was laying under my truck taking off the Hitch I Was resting for a few hours(hehe) and I looked in my frame rail and there was a friggin Ham sandwich, tasted great! j/k but That made we wonder what the hell for a few hours, then a few months later im out side just looking at my truck I look in the Back right wheel well and there was a friggin mini bagel. This is probably the strangest thing that has ever happened to me.

Edit : It was in the same spot too

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread