Dropping the fuel tank....

SN8KBYT_1

Established Member
Hey all. Finally getting a little nicer here in the midwest. The Cobras have been in the garage since 0ctober... Im ready to drive em. Question: I have a Glenns sumped tank that the original owner had problems with the fuel gauge working. It is always stuck on full. He dropped tank, got a new sending unit and it worked fine outside the car. Put the tank back in and stuck on full again. My plan is to drop the tank and take a look. I assume it is getting hung up on something. Any pointers would be appreciated...

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Hopefully you have under a half a tank if not Id try to get most of the fuel out. I noticed over winter my filler neck dougnut gasket has a leak. Once I run most of the fuel out im going to drop mine and fix it. All I could give you for advice is do it with the least amount of fuel possible. Take your time let it down slow with a jack and keep watching to make sure you don't snag anything or break anything. Change the fuel filer while your at it as well good luck.

cobra-k

Established Member
Its kinda a big pain in the ass honestly. I swapped my pumps out end of season last year. Put everything back together hopped in the car to realize the float fell out. Back under to do it all again. How i dropped the tank was with a jack, use a piece of wood to help out keeping it level for ya and slowly let it down. If you have a friend willing to help bring him along its way easier with 2 guys but doable alone as well. Once you pull the hat out of the tank you'll see you're float and where it connects too make sure that its clipped in secure and won't fall when you start fiddling it back in place. Make sure you listen when you're doing it you'll hear it fall out if it does, took me a few tries cause it is tight getting it in. Once you do get it and your putting everything back together use the jack and chunk of wood to place it back up in the car but make sure you dont jack it up too hard, you'll push your fuel tank in. Once its up start it up and check for leaks. Everything checks out good, button her up. Hope this helps!

CompO_Eric

Arch Enemy of the Prius
Established Member
Make sure the float and sender sensor isn't grounded to the hat. The sender needs to be grounded to itself, since there's a piece of plastic isolating it from the fuel hat.

big dad

Established Member
According to the shop manual you first need to cut the filler neck grommet out and install a new one when putting the tank back in. This will reduce the possibility of damaging or breaking the check valve at the end of the filler neck. Everything else is what's already been stated. I plan on doing this as soon as the weather warms also. Good luck and stay safe.

ctgreddy

Established Member
You can lower the tank enough to get the pumps in/out without pulling the filler neck all the way out. It's a little awkward but I've found it easier then trying to get the neck out without damaging that gasket. what was said earlier about draining the gas is another thing, makes it way easier. You can jump the pumps from the fpdm connector in the trunk, or from the connector right on top of the gas tank. Both are easy to get to. and just disconnect the fuel feed at the engine and hook a hose up to it and drain it into a container.

Users who are viewing this thread