Dropping oil pressure on 5.0

blackstallion19

Established Member
Hey guys my 1990 Mustang Gt has had some oil pressure issues...a few minutes after starting up the car the oil pressure will drop to 0...when i am driving the car it rises back to normal but it drops back to 0 at idle...I was wondering if u guys had any idea as to what the problem is...i was told it could be crank clearance but i wanna hear your guys opinions...thanks alot

spike_africa

Established Member
if its thre stock gauge dont trust it as its more then likly bad. the stock guage reads either normal or 0 if the presser is over 4psi. More then likly the sender is bad. I wouldnt even bother to fix it and just get a good aftermarket one.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Good point with what was said above. If a motor loses pressure it'll lock up pretty dang quick. I would question the gauge first if it still runs the same. Do you hear the top end clacking away because there dry? If not your getting pressure.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
First, DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR ANYMORE till you figure this out, you could be ruining your block.

2nd, borrow a mechanical oil pressure tester and take off your current sending unit, turn the car on and that will give you an accurate reading of your pressure, it could be your electrical guage that is wrong but this test will let you know.

3rd, if your pressure is reading close to zero or anything below 12-15psi, it might be your oil pump OR your bypass valve within your oil pump. IF your bypass valve is stuck open, the pump will not be able to get sufficient pressure and it will keep dumping the oil back into the pan and you won't have any top-end oil therefore you would ruin your block.

Do those 3 things in order and I think you will solve the problem.

How do I know this?............Well, lets say I learned the hard way and now I owe about 5k for my newly rebuilt engine!!

Users who are viewing this thread