Droppin the Snake

cobrapwr

Established Member
Looking to draw on some of your hard work. Anyone have any good tips/tricks to lower the 99 Cobra. Especially with the IRS or any other thoughts that I may need to keep in mind. Will probably drop about 2".

v/r
Ray

cobrapwr

Established Member
Haven't gotten much in the line of info. I did review the IRS sticky which was in fact a wealth of information. Still searching for any good tips/tricks any of you have experienced with your own lowering.

01 Venom

Established Member
its really a pretty easy job, I happen to like my setup alot, H&R sports, in my case I have hard top specs in my vert, with Bilstein HDs.

With the rear, disconecting the rear sway bar allows the suspension to drop low enough to get the spring in and out with no problem.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
its really a pretty easy job, I happen to like my setup alot, H&R sports, in my case I have hard top specs in my vert, with Bilstein HDs.

With the rear, disconecting the rear sway bar allows the suspension to drop low enough to get the spring in and out with no problem.

i think it's easier take off the catback, remove the two lower shock bolts and rear IRS frame bolts and lower the rear of the irs down...takes all of 15 minutes for both sides...

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
i think it's easier take off the catback, remove the two lower shock bolts and rear IRS frame bolts and lower the rear of the irs down...takes all of 15 minutes for both sides...

This is what i did...but it took a lot longer than 15 mins. Maybe 15 mins to get my tools out?!?!

Last edited:

01 Venom

Established Member
I disagree, would take alot longer the 15 mins to remove the catback.

To each his own, but I would rather pop out two end links then take down my exhaust

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
I disagree, would take alot longer the 15 mins to remove the catback.

To each his own, but I would rather pop out two end links then take down my exhaust

maybe if you're mechanically challenged...jack up and put on jackstands maybe 2 minutes...take wheels off maybe 2 minutes...spray a little while lithium on the exhaust hangers <1 minute...pop the hanger bushings off maybe 3 minutes...4 nuts on the front of the catback 2 minutes...thats a total of maybe 7-8 minutes...from there you just remove 4 bolts which would take maybe 2-3 minutes, and lower the IRS, <1 minutes...you can have those rear spring out in about 15 minutes...you all must stop for beer breaks if it takes 15 minutes to drop the catback...

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
it is simple but does take longer if you only have one small jack that damn near maxes out high enough for some low jackstands, as well as if you have not done it before and are being careful to make sure you pay attention to everything and watch for the things you might not think about. Just my humble opinion.

But from my personal experience, the rears are soooooo much easier than the fronts and dropping the IRS is the way to go. take off the catback, unbolt the rear IRS cradle bolts, unbolt the lower shock mounts, while the IRS cradle is all supported and then lower it down. You can literally, pull the spring out without any effort, in fact one of mine fell out when i dropped the IRS.

If you are planning on going with wide wheels this may be a good time to get the MM buttonhead bolt for the IRS since you have to remove it anyway for this job. And the H&R sports dropped my front way too low for me to enjoy driving since it scraped everywhere, so I found a happy level with Eibach Prokits, but each person and each car are different.

You most likely will need CC plates too and DEFINATELY a full 4 wheel alignment afterwards and make sure you have the buddy around. This job can go very smooth, but can also get hella frustrating so the company and the must-have beer can do wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread