Drop rear only to level stance and reduce gap....P springs without any impacts?

cheeser

Established Member
I am looking to reduce the large wheel gap that I have at the rear...it seems to be more pronounced after I upgraded my rims and tires. Since I am happy with the front height, I am looking at purchasing the Ford P springs but, only install the rear springs at this time. I have seen a few folks do this on the AM website without any impacts. I understand that I may need an adjustable panhard bar though, in addition checking my pinion angle...I do have an adjustable UCA.

I do plan on an autox or two each year and a single trip to the local road course, and have future plans next to potentially install the Ford Racing suspension kit with adjustable shocks. I am not interested in dropping it too low though with some of the roads we have here in CO.

Has anyone just used the P spring lowering springs for the rear without any issues? I didn't know if I have to worry at all in potential spring rate differences with the stock springs in the front.

thanks

Vert

Established Member
I have been looking at this also since adding my SC and several have used the BMR rear springs without issues.
You might bring it up in the tech BMR thread.

M91196

Established Member
I have been looking at this also since adding my SC and several have used the BMR rear springs without issues.
You might bring it up in the tech BMR thread.

I asked and my response is in there a week or two back. Thinking I would have to wrap a coil of the BMR ' s so they didn't go too low.

I have a track pack and want to level it some as well.

May lop off a half a coil of the stock and see, worst case is I replace the stockers if I hate it.

The Brembo ones are on my radar, interested in other feedback on those too.

5lho

Established Member
The 55D springs from Brembo5.0 do what you want with no problems. Had them on both of my BBPs.

cheeser

Established Member
Ok, went ahead and purchased the 55D springs as they were reasonably price, and the rear springs appear to be fairly easy to replace.

that will get me by until I decide to upgrade the entire suspension in the future.

a bit of irony hear as I just bought a 2016 4Runner and doing the opposite by lifting it.

Bgoins

Established Member
Ok, went ahead and purchased the 55D springs as they were reasonably price, and the rear springs appear to be fairly easy to replace.

that will get me by until I decide to upgrade the entire suspension in the future.

a bit of irony hear as I just bought a 2016 4Runner and doing the opposite by lifting it.

Cool! Please post your impressions once you get them on

5lho

Established Member
I detected no change in ride or handling from 55Ds. They just made the car look better. They are easy to install. Lower chock bolt, sway bar links dro the axle, pull the stock spring, stick in the 55D. I did the whole job in about 40 minutes. I've done it to both of my BBP cars.

M91196

Established Member
I detected no change in ride or handling from 55Ds. They just made the car look better. They are easy to install. Lower chock bolt, sway bar links dro the axle, pull the stock spring, stick in the 55D. I did the whole job in about 40 minutes. I've done it to both of my BBP cars.

3/4 " drop?

_Snake_

Established Member

Any other mods needed? Wondering about an adjustable panhard bar specifically.

nate714

Established Member
Any other mods needed? Wondering about an adjustable panhard bar specifically.

Depends how much you care about your alignment. People do big drops without getting an adjustable panhard, and just live with their rear end being shifted left. The smaller the drop the less it'll shift your alignment.

cheeser

Established Member
Depends how much you care about your alignment. People do big drops without getting an adjustable panhard, and just live with their rear end being shifted left. The smaller the drop the less it'll shift your alignment.

I will install the springs and see if it enough to bother me. If so, installing an adjustable panhard bar will be pretty easy.

5lho

Established Member
No way you need adjustable panhard under an inch...it's off to the left a teeny touch but, there is no effect on how it drives. IF you're picky, sure but, no need. Even my 28" drag slicks don't hit set up like this.

M91196

Established Member
Took one loop out of my track pack OEM springs and dropped the car 1 inch.
Needs an adjustable bar now, can see the rear end favoring the drivers side.
Didn't notice any ride difference.
Now it's almost level, 1/4 higher rake to the rear.
4751cfff30189adbca1ca57ada9bd1d9.jpg

cheeser

Established Member
I just received my springs and hope to put them on this weekend weather permitting.

Is therea top/bottom to the springs? In looking at them quickly, they appear to be the same on both ends. I did notice that they are supposed to be "indexed" when I install them as well.

rustang1

Established Member
D55 springs lowered mine a little less than 3/4in.
Spring rate is slightly higher at 170 compared to 156 stock but I can't tell any difference in ride/handling.

Users who are viewing this thread