Drone

Smittyshow

Established Member
I have a 2004 cobra convertible with Magnapacks. It has a drone with the roof up, I was told if I remove the back seats lift up the carpet and put dynamat down it should resolve the problem is this true.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Nope. The dynamat only helps to deaden rattles and make things feel more solid. I went through 5 exhaust setups and covered my entire floor in insulation materials chasing drone. In the end, I got rid of most of it and changed my tranny gears to get out of the rpm range during freeway cruising. Here is my unique exhaust setup.

419be9fd.jpg

mach14604

Established Member
Nope. The dynamat only helps to deaden rattles and make things feel more solid. I went through 5 exhaust setups and covered my entire floor in insulation materials chasing drone. In the end, I got rid of most of it and changed my tranny gears to get out of the rpm range during freeway cruising. Here is my unique exhaust setup.

419be9fd.jpg

What does that sound like? That is 3 mufflers and 2 Cats?

SLPRCTM

Established Member
It sounds very mellow with a nice deep tone. Volume is close to stock. The center muffler has an internal "x". I can sneak up on my friends and they don't notice me until I pull up along side of them. Lol! It is two high flow cats, three magnaflow mufflers and a second "x" under the diff. I had the entire system ceramic coated except the center muffler because it hangs kinda low. As far as power with the system, I run a 2.3 whiple at 13psi on 91 pump gas making 563 at the tires.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I have a 2004 cobra convertible with Magnapacks. It has a drone with the roof up, I was told if I remove the back seats lift up the carpet and put dynamat down it should resolve the problem is this true.

What size exhaust and are you running cats?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Sounds like the Magnapacks is the source of your problems. I would post here and inquire about another cat back that won't drone. I run Magnaflow which is actually a straight-thru muffler but it sounded great with no drone as long as your running cats.

Don't use Dynamat in the car. As the car gets older the dynamat will start to delaminate off the panel which is a perfect place to trap moisture rusting the metal. That and the stuff is heavy.

cobracide

Established Member
Drone is a sound from your exhaust that is resonant with your particular exhaust setup. Typically in the low rpm range it is most noticeable and loudest. You have to change something in your setup and see how it reacts. Mufflers is a good start, mid pipe of course to are the easiest to change but every aspect of the exhaust system can affect it's resonant frequencies.

mystcobra04

Established Member
this what a muffler shop told me, kinda crazy, he said: to get rid of the cat go with a x vs h pipe, go 2.5 back with megflow system, he did this to his 02 GT and swear if works. i get the drone at 2k rpm around 70mph. if i go 75 or 65 I'm good. good thing here in washington they don't mess with you five over.

Users who are viewing this thread