Driving with license revoked

04svtsnke

Established Member
I know this may have been asked before but I wanted to give you my story and see how things should be taken care of.

Me and the wife were coming home from the mall. I get off at my off ramp and take a left. About a mile up the road the cop behind me lights me up. Guy gets out and says he did a random tag search and saw the owner had a revoked license. I didn't know at the time and after doing a bit of research he said it was revoked for a failure to appear. Thinking back I did completely forget about going to court for a minor speeding ticket in the cobra back in August of 2012. I told the officer the truth and he told me to get it taken care of, show the judge my new license and if the judge throws it out, he won't mind. He also gave me an extra month to get finances and other situations taken care of. At this point me being naive and ignorant with the law( third ticket my 11 year driving term with only minor speeding tickets for the previous 2 which were handled by my parents when I was 17), I continue to drive to get my daughter from daycare. After getting her I get some gas and as I'm coming out a nc DMV inspector lights me up for illegal exhaust. I was driving the srt4 and told him about the no muffler/resonator info in the service booklet but he still gave me a ticket. He also took my license and gave me another driving while license is revoked ticket. I get a lawyer the next day and get the failure to appear taken care of. I've had my license back for about two weeks now and my first court date for the exhaust and driving while revoked will be tomorrow.The first ticket I habe doesn't have me due in court until April 18th. My goal is to get the exhaust ticket thrown out but ask for a continuance for the driving while revoked as I don't know if the judge will throw it out or hit me with a fine and possible jail time plus a year suspension of my license. Also since the other ticket due in April is for the same incident is it possible to have them both taken care of at the same time if I were to represent myself. Is there any way a judge would give me a slap on the wrist for this?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
So two tickets for revoked o/l in one day? One may get gotten rid of, but slim chances the 2nd one will.

silver03svt

Established Member
More than likely, either way. If one or the other is brought up either trial, the judge will not have much sympathy for a 2nd charge in one day.

04svtsnke

Established Member
More than likely, either way. If one or the other is brought up either trial, the judge will not have much sympathy for a 2nd charge in one day.

Should I just ask for a continuance and get a lawyer to take care of both revoked tickets or get on taken care myself and have a lawyer take care of the other? I know ill have to pay either way, I'm just trying to figure out what's the best way to handle both tickets so I can move on with my life.

silver03svt

Established Member
Should I just ask for a continuance and get a lawyer to take care of both revoked tickets or get on taken care myself and have a lawyer take care of the other? I know ill have to pay either way, I'm just trying to figure out what's the best way to handle both tickets so I can move on with my life.

I would research the statute you were charged under first. In VA, a revoked O/L charge is a Class 1 Misdemeanor, and carries a maximum of $2500 in fines and 12 months in jail. I know you're in NC, but I am sure the seriousness is pretty close. The first officer was correct...you had no notice of the revocation, so simply taking care of it and presenting a valid O/L in court is an easy solution. The 2nd charge isn't as simple bc you had notice of the revocation and still chose to drive.

04svtsnke

Established Member
I would research the statute you were charged under first. In VA, a revoked O/L charge is a Class 1 Misdemeanor, and carries a maximum of $2500 in fines and 12 months in jail. I know you're in NC, but I am sure the seriousness is pretty close. The first officer was correct...you had no notice of the revocation, so simply taking care of it and presenting a valid O/L in court is an easy solution. The 2nd charge isn't as simple bc you had notice of the revocation and still chose to drive.

Thank you very much. I guess ill see if I can get out of the first ticket and lawyer up for the second :( ill definitely be asking for a continuance.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
I think you should get a lawyer now and try to get it to a FINE ONLY to avoid jail time at all cost. Pay the fine in full immediately. Ive never seen inside a jail and would never want to.

04svtsnke

Established Member
I think you should get a lawyer now and try to get it to a FINE ONLY to avoid jail time at all cost. Pay the fine in full immediately. Ive never seen inside a jail and would never want to.

Dude me neither. I think that's the best bet as I may still be able to get off with a warning for my first infraction but not the second....ill get the exhaust taken care of and ask for a continuance for the the revoked citation.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If you have a good rep. An you now have your license back you good get both taken care of pretty easy with just your rep cost an court cost

04svtsnke

Established Member
So I didn't even know there was a difference getting your license revoked vs getting it suspended. According to the prosecutor present( who was awesome!) mine was suspended for my failure to apesr. All he needed was proof I had gotten everything taken care of and I had a new license. He dismissed everything. I still have to go back next month to do the exact same thing for the same violation but I should be free to go with proof of a license. I'm extremely happy about my outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread