Driving with blower belt off(built motor/kb)

01whiteL

Established Member
Ran into a guy tonight who's been driving around without his blower belt on the truck...built motor/kb 2.6. He said it's safe..... any info?

Z7What

Powered By Eaton
Established Member
Sure, its safe. I wouldnt be going WOT.

Would i drive like that if i blew a belt on the side of the road to the parts store, sure. Would i drive it like that all the time, hell no. Why have a built motor and KB and not spin it?

Wayne

01whiteL

Established Member
he said better mpg......lol kinda gave him a weird look and asked the obvious, why the hell build it then??????

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
Why would you do that Gared??? I'm sure that is going to affect A/F in being very rich under load. Maybe if done long enough and A/F is that rich you could wash cylinder walls out and foul plugs.

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
i dont care if its safe or not its stupid go buy a reg cab f150 or a first gen if your only interested in building the motor

01whiteL

Established Member
Why would you do that Gared??? I'm sure that is going to affect A/F in being very rich under load. Maybe if done long enough and A/F is that rich you could wash cylinder walls out and foul plugs.

Whoa whoa whoa lol not me man! I'm not doing it nor plan on it at all lol.... I was just curious to see, I told him it has to be rich as hell without it but he swore that it caused no issues lol. Strictly built the truck he said.....lol.

Last edited:

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
I drove mine without one to work and then to NAPA on my lunch break to get a belt. It was slow but ran fine. No terrible AFR issues either. Sorry if you don't approve but I ran it WOT just to see how it would do and other than being slow it ran fine. Now I wouldn't do it just to save gas or anything like the guy the OP was referring to but hey, if you ever have to for any reason don't worry, it's OK.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Yes if it's an a emergency or temporarily, it should be fine. Permanently or long term, maybe there would be long term effects, maybe not? But I know the rotors of the supercharger would be a big restriction to the intake air charge without them spinning, but depending on the cfm I bet during driving especially under load they start to spin, (very slowly obviously and not enough to move air). I also would think with that type of restriction it would probably heat up the IATs as well. As far as A/F, remember your base fuel table and Maf transfer is based on load (as well as spark tables), so when you aren't boosting it up, you won't see high load like you would with the s/c in action. FFS

SADF

Established Member
Just baby it. When my cog belt broke I had to drive it home for about four miles and just didn't kill it. Luckily, I forsee'd that it was going to go and had one waiting behind the seat, but no wrench for tension.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Sound's like your friend should be nominated for the 2008 Darwin Awards.....

Tell him to sell the truck, he's too stupid too own one, all he's doing is giving us L guys a bad rap and wasting a truck.

Tell him he'll fit right in with the Dodge guys.....

SADF

Established Member
Geeez, I didn't know the damn fool was rockin' it without the belt just cruisin around. hahaha WTF?

dizzygoat

Established Member
good idea bout taking the belt off. Ive almost fought someone, i mean fistfight cause this employee was driving my goat and chirped the tires on the 1-2 shift....i came unglued "just cause you dont own sometihing worthy doesnt mean you have to dog on mine" needless to say i didnt pay for that detail job, yes the mofo DROVE my car after detailing it after he let the car idle for 30 mins while detailing....like hmmmm aluminum heads, aluminum block TURN MY CAR OFF!

gen2lightning

I LOVE MY LIGHTNING....
Established Member
I remove the S.C. belt Before i have a front alignment or in any other circumstance that requires a tech to drive my Lightning.

great idea... now thats a stupid reason to have a built motor and drive with the belt off tell him to sell the truck!

Users who are viewing this thread