Driving parts car from Brooklyn NY to Illinois, insurance and registration ?'s

Naste50

Established Member
Hey guys, I live in Illinois and I just bought a car off of Ebay in NYC and I want to drive it back here and use it for parts. Its got cobra disk brake 5 lug conversion, 31 spline axles, 410 gear, saleen spoiler, and a host of other goodies....I am driving out there with a buddy in my ford festiva to get it. Its a 1986 convertible GT. (1200 bucks!) I am going to dismantle the parts, keep what i want, sell the rest, and dump the car in a junkyard. The key is minimal capital investment. Shipping is 500 bucks so forget that plus it wont have wheels when i get it so I am bringing some 95 GT wishbones. I dont want to a bunch of money into this car. I want to know the bare bones minimum that I have to do registrationwise, title transfer, and insurancewise. Like i said, i am just dumping it in the junkyard when i get done strippin' it! Thanks guys!

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
You could rent a tow bar and tow it back. I wouldn't count on a $1200 car with no wheels making the trip on its own. Who knows what else is wrong with it. Make sure you have the bill of sale [receipt] in case you get pulled over for anything. Check with the Secretary of State for what paperwork and licenses or plates you need.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Shipping is only$500? That's dirt cheap compared to hundreds of dollars in fuel you'll spend driving it back, whatever problems you'll have (dude, 1200 for this car? I wouldn't chance a 600+ mile trip in it)

Illinois lets you have i think 24 hours of drive time on an open title, and you can purchase a temporary registration for like $20 so cops won't pull you over. If you decide to do it, bring some tools and duct tape. And drive safe!

Naste50

Established Member
Temporary registration for $20? SWEET. It would only be 12 hours of drive time (round trip for my Festiva, one way for the Stang) I am bringing my tools and Jack (the sweet aluminum one from Sears!) for sure. It needs a motor mount and a flywheel when i get there. I am probably just gonna bumpstart it to get it home so I dont have to mess with the flywheel. I think the guy just doesn't know how to work on cars. He had everything proffesionally installed. He has all the receipts. This car has a bunch of parts on it that I need for my car and this might not be a good deal for some people but it is PERFECT for me. About the gas...My festiva gets 42 mpg when I beat on it!

Users who are viewing this thread