Driving from Miami - Phoenix AZ on I-10, what not to miss?

overseacobra

Established Member
Looking for some recommendations and tips of what to see when driving from Miami to AZ. We are pretty much driving straight through, but I am sure there are still some places or things to see along the way.

I-10 will be the highway we will be spending pretty much the whole time on, so any tips would be appreciated!

/Erik

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Haha, not a whole lot there! Once you hit Texas it's pretty much Houston-San Antonio-El Paso-Tucson-Phoenix with LOTS of nothingness in between. There are a few CBP checkpoints and some overzealous State Troopers that will pull you over for 3 mph over the limit to check ids and records.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
yea def. stop in new orleans even if its just for some food

Mika

Established Member
I-10 going through Mobile is cool. You have the shipyard there(old WWII warship on port). If you want to avoid Nawlins, jump onto I-12. Otherwise, it'll add another hour and change to your trip. But I'd suggest going to New Orleans simply for the food.

Mika

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Defenitely stop in New Orleans for the food and also when you get to San Antonio stop by and visit downtown, the river walk. You'll find a good selection of restaurants and places to shop around. If you drive through S.A on a friday you should def take IH-35 north and stop by Biff's Burgers off Topperwein. Parking lot is full of muscle cars from the 30's to the newest camaros, mustangs, etc. Once you leave San Antonio prepare yourself for a long as hell drive through west Texas. The scenery isn't bad but holy hell is there nothing out there until you get to El Paso...and really nothing much there either from El Paso to Phoenix. Make sure and take your Ipod for that long stretch of nothingness.

Oh, and watch out for the troopers.

overseacobra

Established Member
Haha, not a whole lot there! Once you hit Texas it's pretty much Houston-San Antonio-El Paso-Tucson-Phoenix with LOTS of nothingness in between. There are a few CBP checkpoints and some overzealous State Troopers that will pull you over for 3 mph over the limit to check ids and records.

Haha yeah from I understand it is a loooong drive through Texas! Thamks for the heads up about the troopers.

Depemding on the day You could stop in NO for the day, someone (Maybe me) could show you round.

Of course, NO is a must. Just looked on the map and it is definitely something we don't want to miss. Thanks for the offer btw, I just might take you up on that :beer:

I-10 going through Mobile is cool. You have the shipyard there(old WWII warship on port). If you want to avoid Nawlins, jump onto I-12. Otherwise, it'll add another hour and change to your trip. But I'd suggest going to New Orleans simply for the food.

Mika

I'll check that out, I googled Mobile and that came up so I have added that to the list. Any tips on where to eat in NO or are pretty much anything goes?

Defenitely stop in New Orleans for the food and also when you get to San Antonio stop by and visit downtown, the river walk. You'll find a good selection of restaurants and places to shop around. If you drive through S.A on a friday you should def take IH-35 north and stop by Biff's Burgers off Topperwein. Parking lot is full of muscle cars from the 30's to the newest camaros, mustangs, etc. Once you leave San Antonio prepare yourself for a long as hell drive through west Texas. The scenery isn't bad but holy hell is there nothing out there until you get to El Paso...and really nothing much there either from El Paso to Phoenix. Make sure and take your Ipod for that long stretch of nothingness.

Oh, and watch out for the troopers.

Thanks again about the trooper warning. I'll be using cruise control and my radar detector as much as possible!

Thanks guys for the tips, appreciate it!

/Erik

Keith Stone

Banned
I-10 through TX is probably the most boring stretch of highway in the country. Just flat nothingness for as far as the eye can see.

Jroc

Established Member
Have fun on your 650+ mile commute of nothingness between San Antonio and El Paso. I've driven it a few times and it sucks balls.

In San Antonio you can stop and walk "The River Walk," and see "The Alamo."

When you get to El Paso you can cross the Mexican/American border and visit Ciudad Juárez. Trust me it's a great place to visit.... Well actually its not, especially nowadays.

From El Paso you could make a detour to Alamogordo, NM where I use to live, and see things like "White Sands", and "Trinity Site".(Where the first Nuclear bomb was detonated) You could go to Carlsbad, and see the Carlsbad Caverns.

Common

Established Member
Advice: Don't miss the nearest airport and don't forget to buy a ticket to Az.

Jroc

Established Member
LOL, the deadliest city in the world is "a great place to visit"? :lol1:

Yeah I've been there twice and it was quite an experience. You bid on everything you buy. I do not recommend vacationing there. Its a very dirty/povished place.

tyronejenkinsII

Established Member
I got nailed doing 95 in a 75 in west Texas just because I couldn't get out of that sh*tty state fast enough.....no offense to Texans but that stretch of interstate sucks....Arizona has plenty of great scenery..Sedona is awesome!!

venom one

Schoolin' your kids
Established Member
The stretch between Van Horn and El Paso is where we've had bad luck with the State Troopers. Got busted twice for window tint being too dark two years in a row. :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread