Driving car while too rich....?

CannibalCobra

Established Member
So I'm having the whipple and 60# injectors put on tommorow. The car already has the other supporting mods.

I'm not going to be able to get it dyno tuned until next week sometime.

My question is, how bad would it be to drive the car with 60# injectors without a tune for them. I don't mean driving it hard or anything....just normal driving for a little while.

Would it damage the engine? Or will it just get really bad gas mileage?

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
If its not tuned your injectors will probably wash the cylinder walls especially if your tune is set up for stock injectors.
PS. I bought my car from a guy just south of Springfield, Mo, nice place my dad went to Evangel college when he was younger.

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Are your 60's in your tune to begin with? If not you cannot drive the car. Mass air wont be able to match the 60s since the tune still has you old injs. It wont even idle much less run correctly to drive.
If you do have a tune with the 60s in there the pcm will compensate enough to get you to the dyno.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
in closed loop operation the computer does everything it can to keep the air:fuel ratio stoichiometric (which is a fancy way of saying 14.7:1). the pcm reads the sensors, compares that to tables of data in its data banks, and adjusts accordingly.

if its expecting 39# injectors and you have 60# injectors in there, the computer wont know what to do. it may be able to correct for it, but it will most likely throw a code for fuel trims out of range.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I've tried to run injs without changing the tune and sputters so bad and dies. You have to constantly goose the throttle to keep it alive. It is not at all driveable.

Big D's 03

Established Member
Does everyone really have a problem trying to run injectors w/o a tune?? I am running 50's with stock Mass Air and predator pulley tune.... My a/f is about 10:1 till i get the rest of the go-fast's bolted on. I am getting 17mpg lead footing around town and 21 or 22 on the freeway (w/o cruise control) and the car runs good.

Users who are viewing this thread