Driving across the country - pointers?

The Shermanator

Gaming Guru
Established Member
The inevitable has arrived. I am PCSing to Europe and can only take one of my two vehicles. I will be taking my DD - 07 Accord I-4 EX-L Coupe with me. My Cobra will be stored at the parental units' house in Califonia

I will be making the trek mostly on I-10 from Fort Walton Beach, FL before turning north on I-5 around Los Angeles and heading north of Sacramento. So this weekend if you're in the Louisiana - Texas area of I-10 and see a black, convertible SN-95 in desperate need of a paint job (particularly the hood) - HONK! I will also be stopping in Alamogordo New Mexico for a few days before continuing my journey the following Thursday.

I have accomplished all my maintenance inspections and preparations. I have all the necessary back up automotive fluids and tools. Tonight I will be washing and vacuuming her, followed by yet another inspection under the hood, body and a tire pressure check.

I guess I'm looking for any pointers for those of you that have made longer drives like this. I've done 8 hours before, but never a 12 hour drive, so this should be interesting. I have a small cooler I will be bringing as well quite a few snacks. I hope I'm not missing anything and am really not looking forward to spending close to $500 in gasoline - the biggest downside of this whole ordeal. Thanks for any tips you may have

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
i just took my cobra on a 13 hr trek non stop one way.. i burnt one belt due to the extreme heat...and i used 1 quart of oil TOTAL there and back so over 26 hrs it used 1 qrt...lol so a quart of oil, a breaker bar, a spare serpentine belt, and a jug of coolant just incase....cooler is a good idea just dont put it in the trunk..heat from the pipes will melt any and all ice and packets u have lol... most of all have fun bring a gps and enjoy the sites..a road trip with some tunes and the windows down was a blast for me...also make sur eu have a lug wrench and a spare tire..i saw at least 9 cars with flats on the side of the road on the way down

The Shermanator

Gaming Guru
Established Member
Garmin GPS - check
Extra oil - check
Tools - check
Serpentine belt - err, better go get a spare one
2 jugs of coolant - check
Tire sealant - check

RIO - where did you drive your Cobra to/from for 13 hours?

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
ok good sounds like you got just about everything..but deff go get that belt...maybe a flashlight too just incase it happens late at night which i hope everything goes perfectly for you..and i drove from CT all the way to Myrtle Beach South Carolina for Mustang week...it was just under 13 hrs each way

Thanks for starting this thread OP. This is something I'm planning on doing too in the future. Have a safe and fun trip. :beer:

quick88lx

Established Member
from massachusettes/ staioned in louisiana
just drove my 98 coby home on leave from barksdale afb louisiana to boston area Massachusetts 2000 miles 30ish hours over three days and starting friday i will be heading back the other way didnt break or consume anything.....(knocks on wood) when you think youll be rolling through louisiana?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I would likely cover the front of the car with blue painter's tape to save against bugs and rock chips.

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
^^^ i did that too..dont cheap out an dbuy the white tape..it will peel and stick to your paint..the blue rolls is like $12 bucks but welll worht it...and also do an oil change before you go!

monX

Established Member
^great idea

Also don't forget the radar detector!

The Shermanator

Gaming Guru
Established Member
ok good sounds like you got just about everything..but deff go get that belt...maybe a flashlight too just incase it happens late at night which i hope everything goes perfectly for you..and i drove from CT all the way to Myrtle Beach South Carolina for Mustang week...it was just under 13 hrs each way

Just not too long ago I purchased a 9 LED flashlight from advanceauto for about $2.50. It's sitting in my center console. Good looking out :thumbsup:

Thanks for starting this thread OP. This is something I'm planning on doing too in the future. Have a safe and fun trip. :beer:

Thanks man. This has been a plan for a while and I've made sure my car is prepared for the trip. I just need to fill air in my right front - it's a tad low. Just make sure to get your car checked out before you leave and you won't have any problems along the way.

just drove my 98 coby home on leave from barksdale afb louisiana to boston area Massachusetts 2000 miles 30ish hours over three days and starting friday i will be heading back the other way didnt break or consume anything.....(knocks on wood) when you think youll be rolling through louisiana?

My plan is to leave this Friday morning, around 0700-0800. My first stop will be in Gulf Port (170 miles from start) and then in Lafayette (180 miles from Gulf Port). If I leave at 0700, I'll be driving through Louisiana from around 1000-1300ish. I have no idea how midday traffic will be in I-10 on a Friday though, so we'll see. Count on noonish, nowhere near Barksdale though - sending a PM.

I would likely cover the front of the car with blue painter's tape to save against bugs and rock chips.

My paint all around is in bad enough shape, it needs a paint job far more, this 2700 mile trip is the least of my paints concerned. Not a bad idea if your car hasn't sat outside for 3 deployments though. I do have a roll of blue painters tape though...

I'm thinking I will bring my mechanics gloves along with my tools. Who wants to repair a belt on a scorching hot engine without gloves?

goat-ee

Established Member
I'm sure it will sound gay to everyone else, but a long time ago, on a trip picking up an 85 GT convertible from L.A. (to Kansas City) I took some books on tape (cd's) and it was surprising how quickly it made the time go by!!

The Shermanator

Gaming Guru
Established Member
^great idea

Also don't forget the radar detector!

I have one of those as well - not that i'll be racing anyone. I'm trying to mitigate my costs not add to them with tickets or racing

I'm sure it will sound gay to everyone else, but a long time ago, on a trip picking up an 85 GT convertible from L.A. (to Kansas City) I took some books on tape (cd's) and it was surprising how quickly it made the time go by!!

I can't say that I would be that entertained, But to each their own. I have a 2gb ipod nano. That coupled with my 460gb of music on my portable HD and I'm good to go.

Just checked the weather for my trip and it looks like I will be driving right through the now Tropical Depression 5. it will hit landfall around Friday 2AM, draggin right across I-10. I was debating whether or not to get new windshield wipers - this seems like a good excuse to get some. Any recommendations?

monX

Established Member
I have one of those as well - not that i'll be racing anyone. I'm trying to mitigate my costs not add to them with tickets or racing

Unless you are doing the speed limit all 13 hours then you don't need to worry :poke:

quick88lx

Established Member
from massachusettes/ staioned in louisiana
any of the "higher end" blades that don't have any pressure points but just consistent pressure like the bosh icon rain-x latitude and so on pricey but i belive its worth it and was deff glad i got them when i got hammered by a diesel ass storm rolling through Tennessee

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
rain-x your windshield...greatest thing I ever did for mine.

and I no longer have windshield wipers on my car..

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member

:thumbsup:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
don't know how you plan to not get tickets and make that drive in 13 hours. shit it will take you that long to just get across texas LOL!

when I go on a long drive alone, I pack a cooler with coke, water and juice, some swiss cheese, carrot and celery sticks, ham and maybe some peperoni and set it in the passenger seat. I have a cooler that has one side that has a door in the top so I don't have to lift the entire lid. then I snack on the whole trip.

I fill up before I go, then the next stop is 300 miles down the road, gas up, piss, shit, eat if I decide I want a real meal, and rearrainge the cooler so fresh stuff is on top, next stop is 300 miles down the road. rinse and repeat.

the only accomodation I make for a traveling companion is that the cooler goes in the back seat and she is responsible for making sure I have a drink and a snack when I ask for it. next stop is still 300 miles down the road.

The Shermanator

Gaming Guru
Established Member
I wasn't the one who is driving 13 hours. My trip will take much longer. Each leg of my trip will be anywhere from 12 to as few as 8 hours.

I think I'll be picking up some Bosch's tonight after work :D

Users who are viewing this thread