driveshaft swap

hawkti

Established Member
sorry to hijack this but, what part number shaft are you all using on a 01. And, is it a direct relacement or will something have to be changed or added

hawkti

Established Member
I think my shaft has twisted on me or thrown weights or something. So I want to go ahead and get an aluminum one. So, I can just straight swap a 00 gt in it's place?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
I think my shaft has twisted on me or thrown weights or something. So I want to go ahead and get an aluminum one. So, I can just straight swap a 00 gt in it's place?

if you have a solid, then yes...IRS driveshaft is an inch or so shorter...

hawkti

Established Member
so what is the fix for that? Cause everywhere I look, a driveshaft isn't listed for a 01 w/irs. I swear I read somewhere that a certain ds is a direct replacement, but I don't remember which one.\\

nevermind, found it M-4602-G . Is this right, it read get this ds, and swap my yoke onto it and it will work. Is that what I need to do?

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
dunno...your stock trans yoke is 31 or 33 spline...can't remember which...if the new one is different, then yes you'll have to swap your yoke on and get it rebalanced...

BTW, what is wrong with your driveshaft that you need to replace it?

hawkti

Established Member
I have a bad vibe that is dead center of the car starting around 60 and just gets worse the faster I go. In fact, I've never had my car over 80, and I've owned it for a year. I've had the rear tires rebalanced, a shop told me it would pretty much be impossible for it to be the trans, so, it's either the shaft, or pinion angle. But I don't see how that could be it. I've already rotated the shaft 180 to see if that would work.

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
so i assume the bolts are sufficiently tightened? yeah i would try to rebalance your driveshaft first...much cheaper alternative if your driveshaft is simply out of balance...

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
replace your ujoints that was the source of all my problems

I use my stock 01 cobra drive shaft and Had horrible vibrations at high speeds, changed my ujoints and the vibe disappeared!

hawkti

Established Member
replace your ujoints that was the source of all my problems

I use my stock 01 cobra drive shaft and Had horrible vibrations at high speeds, changed my ujoints and the vibe disappeared!

I did have a HORRIBLE vibe for about a day, my rear u joint went out on me. Replaced that, but the vibe is still there. Not like when the joint went out, but still bad over 70. Hey, maybe it's a little of everything,
front u joint
shaft outta balance
the fact that it's a mustang,,,,yadda yadda yadda, the list goes on and on.

I'm going to play in the sand for awhile, when I get back, gonna just go ahead and replace trans and shaft. After that, if I still have a vibe, I guess a nice rag hanging outta the fuel tank with a lighter will fix any vibe. :fm:

Users who are viewing this thread